Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 11:56 PM
Longplay
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, I would agree. 500 + miles with a 2 up ride would need to be broken up into more days. Shes up for it, but it would wear on us both.
Fortunately MOST of the rides can be short in duration. Going from one scenic spot to another, stopping along the coastal roads for fuel, food, and overnight as needed. We are lucky in that we are not really to hard on a fixed schedule, so stopping for something interesting is not much of a problem.

I did around 450 miles one day riding up to the mountains from East Texas on my Softail with a really great Ultimate Touring seat and that was pushing it for me. I ended up the last 75 miles or so on the interstate which I really do not like much. But I could do it, just not really the fun part. Here, there are no real highways, all are 2 lanes if even that. Many neck to one lane a lot as they dig up and replace/repair the older asphalt bases replacing it with 10" of concrete. But no shortage of coastal roads and coastal views here. Looking forward to the riding on Leyte Island right behind the small island I am on. Could tour that place for weeks....

Old 08-26-2019, 12:32 AM
Longplay
Tourer

I forgot to respond to the first question!! I do not think it was branded. I got it about a year ago or 2 and used it on my Softail. It is quite large, and I got the topper bag separately also unbranded. Both off of Ebay. I paid about 125 usd for the big bag and a lot less for the topper. The big one is really nice it has a full zipper side entry on both sides, so I do not need to pull the bag off the bike to get to a fresh tee shirt if I get wet riding. Mostly rain proof also from my experience. Just a slight dampness in a couple of spots on the side zippers but not even every time it rains .

Old 08-26-2019, 12:32 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Yea most of my 900 mile trip was legs of 200 or less except the last leg was 384, but all but 30 of it was on highway. Goes faster but more boring, for sure.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:35 AM
Longplay
Tourer

Handrifle, your seat is a Harley Signature seat? That is what I just bolted onto mine. The solo part looked very much similar to the solo it came with, but the feel is totally different and MUCH better. Did push me forward about an inch I think

Old 08-26-2019, 01:15 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

All I know is it says Sportster on the side. Sounds like you know more about it than me. It was on the bike when I bought it. It IS a one piece seat, for two up riding.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:17 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks on the bag info, by the way.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:01 AM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

Got out for my longest ride yet. Got myself somewhat intentionally lost, with my phone finally mounted with GPS on for when I felt like getting back. Was very nice. Despite my concerns about my clutch adjustment job a couple weeks back, the bike has never felt better. The Cruisetecs are marvelous, and the transmission feels smoother. I just overall feel much more confident. Felt a little anxiety getting onto a particularly busy stretch of road on my way back, and really gunned it for the first time. That was genuinely fun (no surprise there). Up to then, I've been largely easy with the throttle just from newbie caution. It's all getting better and more fun now that she's in proper operating condition. I can't wait to get out again, and am starting to plan in earnest for a ride to work, which I've been too afraid to try yet.

I also tried out a perforated leather jacket that I picked up from Amazon for a steal (First Manufacturing Turbine, for about half MSRP). Doesn't quite make up for how badly I got shafted on the tire install by the stealership, but it helps. Weather was gloriously mild, so I don't know how it really stacks up against my Olympia Hudson mesh jacket for cooling, but it's sure as hell more comfortable. For those that bother wearing gear, I'm pretty pleased with the First Manufacturing jackets that I've tried thus far. Inexpensive, comfortable, and the Olympia shoulder and elbow armor fits reasonably well without too much buckling, while also being softer and more comfortable than the Klim D3O LP2 Pro pads that I'd gotten for my Top Performer and wound up using in the Olympia instead. The Icon D3O Viper 2 WOMEN'S Back Protector works well in the smallish pocket they have in the First Manufacturing jackets, though the Level 2 part does cause a bit of buckling.

I also spotted a local auto shop that works on bikes that I might look into next time I need something done that I don't feel comfortable trying myself.

The following 2 users liked this post by Packgrog:
cacomly (08-26-2019), TStephen (08-26-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 11:18 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Well it looks like I will be getting the Cobra RPTs back. Long story I won't go into, but I will need to figure ways to get my torque back (TTIs?) and make it so it drones a little less on long grades.

DK seems to think the TTI MIGHT do both. Will see. I will do what I can before installing them though, might even replace the 2" inserts with 1 3/4" inserts. Will see.

Last edited by handirifle; 08-27-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:07 AM
413of1900
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Well it looks like I will be getting the Cobra RPTs back. Long story I won't go into, but I will need to figure ways to get my torque back (TTIs?) and make it so it drones a little less on long grades.

DK seems to think the TTI MIGHT do both. Will see. I will do what I can before installing them though, might even replace the 2" inserts with 1 3/4" inserts. Will see.
I have the Cobras on mine, they were too loud with the stock inserts, it was almost impossible to tell the difference with the "quiet" 1-3/4" baffles, so I reversed the "quiet" baffles so the little louvers inside tend to "trap" the exhaust gasses. Now it is almost tolerable.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:59 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 227 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Longplay
Handrifle, your seat is a Harley Signature seat? ...
Originally Posted by handirifle
All I know is it says Sportster on the side. ... It IS a one piece seat, for two up riding.
It looks like the Harley Sundowner seat. I have one too. Fugly but very comfortable.

The following users liked this post:
Longplay (08-28-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?