Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 05:03 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,576 Likes on 3,286 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
The ONLY reason I still live here in CA. Its 3:00pm and 75* outside.
Yeah... well... we get below -0* in the winter too. So we got that going for us as well.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

LikeI said earlier, I grew up about 100 miles east of ya.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:16 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,576 Likes on 3,286 Posts

LikeI said earlier, I grew up about 100 miles east of ya.
Well get back here, you're missing all the 'fun'...

Old 07-02-2019, 10:50 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Lol I don't think so. Enjoy it. Just got back from takin the wife out to dinner. Rode the bike out to the "Loading Chute" in Creston, CA, a local eatery, that has outstanding steaks. It ought to, its surrounded by cattle ranches. Easy ride about 15 miles each way, through our winding hilly roads, this area is known for.

The following users liked this post:
David Rose (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 05:00 PM
David Rose
Cruiser
Location: Gloucester, UK. Originally from South Shields (North East of England)
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I think I'm nearly done with what I need to add. I'm not into customising in a big way, I pretty much like the bike as it is.
Just needed to add the 12v accessory socket, fit my satnav mount to the handlebars and sort my top box out, I think I've mentioned these already,
Couple of days ago I received my RAM Ball camera mount and then today my mirrors arrived.
They are long reach as I'm not happy with the shortness of the stock mirror stalks.

Long stem mirrors fitted. They probably don't look as cool as the short ones but I really wasn't happy with the lack of rear view. You can probably make out the RAM Ball camera mount on the left mirror.

RAM Camera mount which fits onto the mirror stalk. Since fitting the long stem mirrors I've moved the camera to the left hand mirror to make it easier so I don't have to reach across to change the mode of it. As we drive on the left over here I'll see what the videos come out like but it's a bit of a wide angle lens so should be fine.

12v socket with dual USB adaptor fitted.

12v socket with waterproof protective cover.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:44 PM
Bama Lee
Road Warrior
Received 1,537 Likes on 678 Posts

The ONLY reason I still live here in CA. Its 3:00pm and 75* outside.
I WISH !!

3:55 PM saw 100 F outside with thunder shaking the house

Old 07-05-2019, 11:23 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

I do have to say it IS cooler than usual so far this year. Still has not gotten over 80* here yet, but I am sure it will. We see 100*+ temps here in the summer, but the nice this about this area is it will be high 40's to low 50's at night and by about 2pm will hit peak temp, but by 7:30 its starting to cool back again. We typically only need to run our AC about 2-3 weeks a year.

VERY fortunate here on weather, its all the other horse crap we have to put up with. Plus this area, at least used to be, a conservative stronghold. It still mostly is, as there are a LOT of large cattle ranches here. I mean the small ones are 7,000 acres. Our closest town has a population under 2000, and I live 8 miles from it.
We usually get a nightly ocean influence which is what cools us so much, even though we are about 30 miles as the crow flys, from the ocean.

My bike is sitting on my driveway in my signature pic. Not as green right now as it was then but still not as brown as it will get. We have to be always on the watch for wild fires. Got evacuated from here 2 years ago, one came very close, but I try to keep everything mowed way down. Fire dept demands 100' clearance and I try for a lot more. A hot blaze can jump huge distances if there is sufficient fuel.

Thankfully those recent earthquakes are about 200 miles south of us, but the San Andreas fault is only a mile or two away.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:13 AM
David Rose
Cruiser

I do have to say it IS cooler than usual so far this year. Still has not gotten over 80* here yet, but I am sure it will. We see 100*+ temps here in the summer, but the nice this about this area is it will be high 40's to low 50's at night and by about 2pm will hit peak temp, but by 7:30 its starting to cool back again. We typically only need to run our AC about 2-3 weeks a year.

VERY fortunate here on weather, its all the other horse crap we have to put up with. Plus this area, at least used to be, a conservative stronghold. It still mostly is, as there are a LOT of large cattle ranches here. I mean the small ones are 7,000 acres. Our closest town has a population under 2000, and I live 8 miles from it.
We usually get a nightly ocean influence which is what cools us so much, even though we are about 30 miles as the crow flys, from the ocean.

My bike is sitting on my driveway in my signature pic. Not as green right now as it was then but still not as brown as it will get. We have to be always on the watch for wild fires. Got evacuated from here 2 years ago, one came very close, but I try to keep everything mowed way down. Fire dept demands 100' clearance and I try for a lot more. A hot blaze can jump huge distances if there is sufficient fuel.

Thankfully those recent earthquakes are about 200 miles south of us, but the San Andreas fault is only a mile or two away.
The world is going crazy with weather, over here in the UK we have just had the hottest day of the year last week, 30 degrees C (86f), not normal for us at all.
On the subject of Earthquakes, I was staying at the Sunnyvale Hilton (changed hands now I think) in Santa Clara Jan/Feb 1984. I came down to Breakfast in the morning and the guys I was with said 'Wow, did you feel that earthquake last night', nope, didn't feel a thing. Can't believe I was so close to San Francisco and didn't even feel an earthquake.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:34 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

David Rose, its all your fault. Bought this tonight https://www.ebay.com/itm/312675121122. After seeing yours I decided to go ahead and get one. Have a good ride coming up this Aug with the wifes cousin and his wife. They are riding down from WA state and making a loop, Reno, to Yosemite, then towards San Fransisco. I will meet them on the west side of Yosemite and we will ride across the Golden Gate bridge. They will head home from there and I will head back south.

Been eyeing these on ebay for a while. I want to look into getting it covered in fake leather to match the Viking bags I already have. Will probably remove the spoiler on it though, although the extra brake light might be nice.
Ok top box finally arrived, only to reveal the tail lights were missing. On top of that the hinges look to be plastic, with a wire running through them. Top quality there. Sent an email off to the seller, requesting at first, the tail lights, then as I studied it I saw the crappy hinges. What did I expect for that price?

I sent second email off requesting a refund and for paid return shipping since parts (kind of important parts too) were missing. Ebay says if not resolved by the 12th they will step in.

Waste of time there.

Last edited by handirifle; 07-08-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:20 PM
David Rose
Cruiser

I feel so bad now being the incentive to order a top box! The one I've got was CHEAP but no lights or anything fancy, just the reflector caps on each side.
Hope you get sorted quickly, e-bay is usually very good at getting stuff sorted but they do stipulate a long waiting period to see if the seller will sort it voluntarily.
Good luck.
Dave

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?