Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 04:27 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Well I never read the reviews, duh. Lol good thing. It comes with 2 rubber seals and an O ring installed, and it would not go all the way down. So I used only one rubber seal, and voila, it seats fine. I THINK they are they to allow you to pick what works best. I tried with the O ring and it was too tight.

I do agree the pop up part is a little short, and if my hands were really cold that might be an issue, but with gloves on the grip would be better anyway.

So far the way I have it setup there is enough sticking up to make it work.

Would be curious to see how much higher more expensive ones go up. I can measure if anyone is interested.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:31 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

We are Amazon Prime members, and half the time if something does not work like it should, they don't even make me send it back, just send a new one. If we do send it back, as soon as it has been recorded as being shipped, we get the refund.

So, to me, this is like buying through Costco, no worries if it doesn't work.

Prime is worth the $$$ for us. YMMV

Old 05-04-2019, 11:31 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts
Default Against the trend .

Finished returning my Roadster to near- stock . Back to mid controls, chrome heat shields and stock air cleaner . Keeping the Vance & Hines mufflers . I just love this bike exactly as Harley intended it be .

Old 05-04-2019, 01:39 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,539 Likes on 3,276 Posts

Since it's raining AGAIN... I decided to finish the 10,000 mile service. Changed the oil and filter, the new K&P filter came this morning so it went on.

Name:  AmWJ5I6.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  18.1 KB

Supposedly 70*F and sunny tomorrow.

Last edited by firehawk6; 05-04-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

Finally got the thin wrench set I needed to be able to remove the sissy bar that came with my Sporty. Turned out that the locking nut had pushed through the fender. Doh. Once that was off, I had to run to Lowes and get some new bolts as the ones I had were now too long without the sissy bar and were touching the back tire.

After putting on the new bolts to reattach the rear fender (if/when I swap the rear shocks, I'm yanking those ridiculous, unnecessary chrome covers), I got out for another practice ride. I was surprised by how much of a difference removing the sissy bar made. I never attached anything to its luggage rack, but it certainly felt lighter and easier to maneuver after that. I call that a win. As far as riding in general, I'm feeling more confident, and got back out on the road again finally, but still spooked myself at that turn where I wiped out a couple weeks ago. A car coming out at the same time, and that there's poor visibility around the corner, and I just wasn't ready yet. Next time.

I also spotted my motorcycle-riding neighbor coming home while I was doing practice loops. I let him go for a quick ride on my Sporty. He owns a Honda Fury. 5 minutes on my lowly 883, and he's itching for a Harley. Hah! :P I'm by no means anti-Honda (my car is a Honda), but I can't help but chuckle at this.

Another fun thing is that I've met more of my neighbors in my condo development in the past month and a half since getting this bike than in the entire previous 3 years of living here put together. Sure, part of it is that I'm out more, and one neighbor who introduced himself today commented that I seem to be wrenching more than riding (which is true, given that it's an older bike that needs some TLC, and I'm still a total newb), but the damn thing can't help but be a conversation piece.

My goal with riding was never to Be Seen (apart from making sure cars don't run me over). Nor was my goal ever to own a Harley, honestly. I originally just wanted a Honda, as they're cheaper, and I really don't give a crap about the image aspect. I just wanted to ride, full stop. But I tell you, the sense of community that this beast has helped me become part of, both here and at my own home, is a blessing that I'm not sure any other bike brand would have provided. I love it.

The following users liked this post:
Lwood10 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 10:03 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

I took my first freeway run since putting the RK shocks on, and thus changing the handling. No wobbles or bad things, but there is something odd about it all. Heavy cross winds and it did not seem as planted as before.

So I decided I will definitely be upgrading my dampers to the longer ones. Even after I had ordered them was having second thoughts about installing them right away. Todays ride has removed any doubt.

I will need to order a longer jiffy stand though. No desire to have it lean real far or carry a block around, thats just me.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:36 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Got the old girl inspected, I’m good for another year.

Wiz Out 🤘

Old 05-05-2019, 06:36 PM
stratcpo
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Put a set of Kuryakyn ISO grips with weighted ends to tone down some of the vibs and went on a nice long test ride. Mission accomplished, a lot smoother at higher RPM's. Hopefully the rain will hold off for a while and I can get some riding in. ENJOY!!!

The following users liked this post:
thomassa3 (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 08:24 PM
thomassa3
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stratcpo
Put a set of Kuryakyn ISO grips with weighted ends to tone down some of the vibs and went on a nice long test ride. Mission accomplished, a lot smoother at higher RPM's. Hopefully the rain will hold off for a while and I can get some riding in. ENJOY!!!
pics to see how they look on the bike?

Old 05-05-2019, 09:07 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,204 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Pulled the clutch apart to remove the grenade plate spring pack. Parts arrive tomorrow and I'll put it back together.

Last edited by VAFish; 05-05-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?