Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 08:00 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 346 Likes on 246 Posts

The VHT high heat paint is a ceramic paint. You bake it after painting, its pretty tough stuff after baking it. Just follow the baking instructions on the can.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:03 AM
GammaRei
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Did you talk to Arlen?

RIP
He passed away the day after I first went there. The staff were telling me about how he loved to chat with customers though. That wouldve been really cool.

- G

Old 04-17-2019, 07:38 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,201 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Found the cause of the annoying rattle I had been hearing. Tab had broken loose on the exhaust chrome cover, so I pulled out my mighty $79 120V stick welder and tacked it back in place. It doesn't vibrate anymore, we'll see how long it lasts.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:16 PM
waterfordhunter
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

DK 1.5” tank lift, wire tuck, coil/ignition relocation.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:28 PM
Postie
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Memphis Shades Fairing, Joker Machine mirrors and J.W. Speaker LED headlight installed. And a crap load of riding this past 2 weeks!! Whoo Hooo!

Old 04-20-2019, 01:12 PM
MikeK13
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

New Progressive 412 shocks installed today. Lowered the bike 1.5". New Avon driver pegs to match my grips.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:21 PM
MikeK13
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-Stranger
Thanks!
She’s a mostly stock 2012 xl1200v Sportster “72”
One of my favorite things about her is the paint… Hard Candy Big Flake Red.
The stock Dunlop white walls were replaced with Avon Cobra’s… they were transformative… they were superior in looks, ride and performance.
Burley Slammer 10.5’’ shocks replaced the originals to achieve the aggressive stance I was looking for… the ride was no better or worse… so I claim it as a win!
The original solo was replaced with a solo springer, then with a Le Pera Cherokee.
When the Le Pera was added, a HD detachable chrome “sissy bar” backrest seemed like a good choice.
Cycle Shack slip-ons provide an awesome note and gives an original appearance unlike any other 72 I’ve seen.
The standard cow bell was replaced with a chrome round horn cover to compliment the round air cleaner on the other side… gotta keep things symmetrical.
Chrome Bullet style turn signals, a chrome visor style headlight trim ring, and battery / oil tank covers push her into the Chrome ***** realm!
A chopped fender edge brake light was added, the license plate bracket was turned sideways and the belt guard deleted.
The stock mini-apes were pushed forward 4’’ to 5’’, the rear view mirrors were flipped and installed underneath and Nostalgic hand grips were exchanged for stock ones.
She's detail cleaned constantly.
That’s enough to make her mine.
The odometer reads just short of 15,000 miles.

I LOVE this bike as she is, but there are a few other ideas I’d like to do later on.
Next winter I’d like to have Astech Seats update the Le Pera Cherokee to a reptile theme and modify the backrest to match.
I’d like to design complimentary graphics to install on the chrome battery/oil tank covers to tone them down a bit.
I've been able to ride her 3 of the last 4 days!
Love that seat man.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Mopar5599
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 362 Likes on 355 Posts

I just installed the HD tall boy bars that come standard on the 48 special. I was gonna go with the HD chizel low bar but the tall boy fits the bike better.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:19 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,984 Likes on 2,546 Posts

So a couple of days late but went to Donington Park race circuit with Sportster Sickness UK. Approximately 600 other like minded Sportster riders.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=yo...donington+park

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-gdybowy.jpg
Cindy on her trike on the way through some lovely Nottinghamshire villages.

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-k3omclg.jpg
On the circuit. I am just behind wearing the white crash helmet.

The smoke is some nitwit who just had to do a burn out.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 04-21-2019 at 06:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Andy from Sandy:
MikeBel (04-22-2019), tmac00333 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Newbie Baby Steps of the Day: Spent about 30-45 minutes practicing turns, particularly right hand turns from a stop, to recover from the anxiety incurred from last weekend (both a wipeout of my own on a slow speed right turn, followed shortly afterward by witnessing a fatality). Got better with the maneuvers, and stopped when I felt I was close to overthinking and thus starting to screw up.

Then did my first ever oil change. Super simple, but takes more time doing it for the first time. Got a K&N oil filter so I won't have to mess with a strap wrench next time. It was nice that the gasket was pre-oiled. It's a good thing that I put a little bit of Seafoam in the old oil a couple weeks back (it's been mostly sitting for 2.5 years since the last oil change), as what came out looked mostly black. I also dislodged some large black flakes with bubbles in it, which seemed at first to be deteriorated rubber, but seems to have actually been old dried oil. I went with Red Line 20w50 for the new oil, which may be overkill, but better safe than sorry, yes? I should probably change the transmission oil soon as well, but that's more involved, and I'm not sure where to get the proper gasket set yet.

Now to find a replacement rear turn signal cover, as I lost the old one in my lowside dumbass maneuver last week.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?