Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 11:00 AM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I'm surprised you don't have enough wire. Have you fished around under the tank? There is usually quite a bit of extra wire down there. You may need to pull the front of the tank up a bit to get to it, sometimes it is zip-tied in a loop to eat up some of the extra.

I ran 18" apes on my Sporty with the stock wires.
Maybe I'll look again. i mean mines an 08, so I found a set of 'extensions' that have pins on each end so you can just plug them into each side of the harness.
the TC Bros dont look quite as big as the buckhorns that were on it, when I bought it, and i went to the smaller Zeds, but I did add about an inch of riser, but that seems inconsequential to the overall size. Maybe cause they're wider AND taller then the buckhorns?

Old 07-31-2018, 11:02 AM
slvrscoobie
Road Master

Save yourself some time, frustration and $. Get some 158 Thunder Torque Inserts. They're $30

We went thru hundreds of different designs before we hit on the patented one above, which give a deep sound, all the way thru the RPM's, and improves power.

If you had a press, and a mold of the right shape, you could make them. I don't think you're going to get what you want with a flat set-up...doubled or single.
Maybe I will - I removed the 2nd washer and made it more 'cone' shaped, stud -> nut -> eyelet -> washer. maybe itll help? maybe Ill just pick these up. figured id try this for $6 first lol

Old 07-31-2018, 11:36 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrscoobie
Maybe I will - I removed the 2nd washer and made it more 'cone' shaped, stud -> nut -> eyelet -> washer. maybe itll help? maybe Ill just pick these up. figured id try this for $6 first lol

Yeah, I hear ya. I've fiddled with lollipops all the way back to my first minibike, over 50 years ago. It wasn't till 8-9 years ago that we really knuckled down and did a ton of research and testing that we got them perfected and then patented.

The following users liked this post:
slvrscoobie (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:30 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, I hear ya. I've fiddled with lollipops all the way back to my first minibike, over 50 years ago. It wasn't till 8-9 years ago that we really knuckled down and did a ton of research and testing that we got them perfected and then patented.
In your experimenting did you try round metal ***** like you see on the old style bed frames? what is the diameter of your largest thunder torques?

Old 07-31-2018, 06:56 PM
slvrscoobie
Road Master

Switched to a single washer, compressed the eyelet to better hold the smaller but and bent the washer out around the post for a smoother transition.
My what nice sound it has.

underwhelmd (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:25 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Switched to a single washer, compressed the eyelet to better hold the smaller but and bent the washer out around the post for a smoother transition.

Nothing wrong with that.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:22 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 596 Likes on 333 Posts

Dang dude that sounds killer!

slvrscoobie (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:25 PM
slvrscoobie
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dudepants

Dang dude that sounds killer!
Rush 3" slip ons with 2" baffles and the lollies hopefully it reduces the reverb i get in my helmet thats causing a ringing in my ears when im done riding. tried Dynamat inside but didnt kill it. I think this might do it.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by misput
In your experimenting did you try round metal ***** like you see on the old style bed frames? what is the diameter of your largest thunder torques?
Yes, we did try round *****, and they help with sound, but they are not very effective at stopping reversion, so any gain attained by the roundness in exhaust gas velocity is offset by the reversion slowing it down.

Largest size is 2 5/8"

Old 08-01-2018, 03:47 PM
slvrscoobie
Road Master

So, took the bike out with the 'pops, with my helmet.
Can still hear that damn reverb or whatever it is. sounds like theres a hole right next to my ear that has a high pitched version of the exhaust gases (like 2-3Khz). i tried to record it with my phone but you cant hear it.
Oh well. might take out the pops since it doesnt seem to help anyway. Might stuff some extra steel wool down the center of the baffle, see what that does lol
Im about ready to get a new helmet.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?