Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 AM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by deadrubberboy
Been putting it off as long as I can. Today I finally posted my beloved Sporty for sale: https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/d...609169551.html

*I'll do better price for forum members! PM me!
Noooo! GLWS...

Old 06-07-2018, 12:49 PM
Oddman
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by deadrubberboy
Been putting it off as long as I can. Today I finally posted my beloved Sporty for sale: https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/d...609169551.html

*I'll do better price for forum members! PM me!
sorry to hear that brother. hope the financial gods bless you with prosperity. will miss seeing your posts

Old 06-08-2018, 08:40 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

A friend of mine laid down his brand new 2018 sportster. He can't get it to started. He tried the turning ignition switch off/on/off/on/ff/on, run switch to on, then should fire right up but he said that did not work. Anyone has a 2018 that can tell me the sequence. Bike must be picky. Thanks

Old 06-09-2018, 06:58 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
A friend of mine laid down his brand new 2018 sportster. He can't get it to started. He tried the turning ignition switch off/on/off/on/ff/on, run switch to on, then should fire right up but he said that did not work. Anyone has a 2018 that can tell me the sequence. Bike must be picky. Thanks
Don't know if this is relevant, but I believe the bike is keyless ignition? IF so, then, tell him to hold the function switch, the one that changes the odometer stuff, and turn the bike on, to see if it is throwing any codes. Also, try putting the kickstand down. Some intl models have a kickstand switch that will kill the bike if the clutch isn't in and the bike isn't in neutral. In other words, you have to start it with the stand down in neutral, and, if you put it in gear with the stand still down, it dies.

The following users liked this post:
hscic (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 02:16 PM
PovertyRider
Road Master
Received 197 Likes on 140 Posts

I might be finished for a while adding things (yeah, right) to my first Harley.
In the last 4 months since purchase I have,
Given her a name = Candy "O" (color of bike is orange candy).
Added a luggage rack (instead of saddle bags) with locking latches.
Harley badge for blank spot on back of sissy bar.
Harley overnight bag.
Front mini floorboards and passenger foot pegs.
Mustang front & rear seat.
Mustang tank bib.
Front fork mounted tool bag.
Ram Mount phone holder.
Fringe lever covers.
K&N air filter.
V&H fuelpak3. (already had V&H straight shot slip ons).
LED daymaker headlight.
Custom graphic decal (my own design Candy "O") on battery cover & oil tank. (used as my icon on the forums)
Kuryakyn iso grips.
LED front & rear turn signal inserts with triple play by Custom Dynamics.
LED accent lights w/remote controls.
In addition new helmet and BT comms for two.
Best of all, My wife likes / supports all of this except maybe the custom graphic (she wouldn't pose for it!).

Future? = Progressive 444 shocks and fork spring kit. Good idea or not?
I don't want to lower it, I just want a better ride.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:24 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,182 Posts

Originally Posted by PovertyRider
Future? = Progressive 444 shocks and fork spring kit. Good idea or not?
I don't want to lower it, I just want a better ride.
Gotta tell you, I put the 444s on my '12 Custom and they didn't make that much of a difference. There are many here among us who will disagree, but that
was my experience.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Pharrett
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning I installed the Progressive Monotube cartridges in the front forks. While I had the forks off, I went ahead and put in new seals and bushings.

With monotubes, the 444s I installed last week and the new seat, it's a whole new ride. Took it down a few back country roads with really crappy paving and they soaked up the bumps like nothing else. The 444s have taken some time to dial in, but the fronts I don't think I'll need to adjust at all. I went with the recommended 4 preload spacers.

I thought about just getting the Progressive springs at first, but I'm glad I got the monotubes instead.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:56 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,182 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharrett
This morning I installed the Progressive Monotube cartridges in the front forks. While I had the forks off, I went ahead and put in new seals and bushings.

With monotubes, the 444s I installed last week and the new seat, it's a whole new ride. Took it down a few back country roads with really crappy paving and they soaked up the bumps like nothing else. The 444s have taken some time to dial in, but the fronts I don't think I'll need to adjust at all. I went with the recommended 4 preload spacers.

I thought about just getting the Progressive springs at first, but I'm glad I got the monotubes instead.
Yeah, I've been thinking about either the monotube cartridges or the springs in the front forks, because the 444s by themselves have been a disappointment.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Pharrett
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah before the monotubes, I wasn’t sure about the 444s. I bought the HD versions and it’s taken awhile to find a sweet spot.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:22 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharrett
Yeah before the monotubes, I wasn’t sure about the 444s. I bought the HD versions and it’s taken awhile to find a sweet spot.

444s were on my bike when I bought it. 12.5" non HD. They may as well be new, from the look of them. Right out of the gate, I found them harsh. Checking them out, they were adjusted to max preload. I took one round of that out and they are still harsh. I haven't got around to adjusting them further.... should get around to that.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?