Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:12 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

Originally Posted by Owner
So on a side note, got “most” of my 49mm conversion parts from HD today. EXCEPT the upper tree!, HD says it’s on backorder... how the hell is a current production part, on backorder. How many upper tree’s can be bad, that all are gone from warehouse?
Ugh.. Hopefully they have some good news this week, on availability...

you already have a gauge cup? i dont see it in you picture p/n: 69200439

23 here:
https://shop.outpostalaska.com/OEMpa...)//SPEEDOMETER

Old 03-10-2018, 08:37 PM
Owner
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
you already have a gauge cup? i dont see it in you picture p/n: 69200439

23 here:
https://shop.outpostalaska.com/OEMpa...)//SPEEDOMETER
Son of a ... Thanks cvaria, guess I forgot about that..😊

Old 03-11-2018, 11:42 AM
08xl1200r
Road Captain
Received 382 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey_Beard
Interesting. Have you modified the rims so not to use inner tubes, or are you using inner tubes? I ask because I thought it was taboo to use inner tubes with a tire designed to be tubeless. Something to do with friction between the inner tube and the tire, that would cause the tube to fail.
Tubeless tires that are OK to use with tubes are generally marked as such, I've mounted plenty of them. What you might be remembering is that radial tubeless tires are supposed to be matched with radial rated tubes IF the tire maker OK's tubes at all.
FWIW the tubes HD dealers carry are high quality Dunlops in my experience...don't need them for my Sportster but run them on my Norton Commando rather than the off brand made in China tubes many shops carry, don't know off hand if the HD tubes are radial rated though.
On a side note recently swapped a 2016+ Roadster rear wheel onto my bike using Cvarias very helpful info and mounted Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tires at both ends (150/70-18 and 100/90-19) and they are working great, feel and grip is excellent and should work fine on the dirt roads I ride occasionally.

Last edited by 08xl1200r; 03-11-2018 at 11:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Grey_Beard (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Sam_48
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Loaded up the bike on the trailer and did the 33 twisted sisters in Leakey, TX. I would have rode out there but having a two gallon tank makes the trip take that much longer.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:38 AM
MikeK13
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Got my parts back from paint. Installed the front fender and my tank. The nightrain emblems look sick.
Rear fender isn't installed yet. Ran out of weekend.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:27 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeK13
Got my parts back from paint. Installed the front fender and my tank. The nightrain emblems look sick.
Rear fender isn't installed yet. Ran out of weekend.

Love that color. Very sharp looking.

MikeK13 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 02:28 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by underwhelmd
Got nothing to lose trying it. I will post about what happens with it at that time. Thank you.

Coincidentally, I was removing plasti-dip from the grill of my Jetta today. Gas and brake-cleaner worked the best.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to what you find.

Treated carefully (like any other nasty chemical) gas can be quite useful.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:41 PM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts

well today i found out im a dumbass, but Caused it about a week ago.
taking the bike apart to put new stabilizers (engine mounts) on it, so that means taking just about everything off. No problem! Except I forgot I just got gas, so I had a full 4 gallons in the tank. as soon as I removed the rubber boot it started spilling gas everywhere. Nooo!! so I plugged it with my finger, and then realized I needed to unplug the fuel pump still which takes 2 hands. ugh. ended up flipping the tank over to get it to stop leaking. but when I put it down it started leaking again. rather than filling the garage with gas I decided to leave it like that until I could take it outside, and with a rag flip her till the overfill thing stopped.
Well I f-in forgot. checked today since I was without power for the last 5 days here in NJ and well, looks like the cap isnt air tight. the glue tape holding on the surrounding trim to the cap was all spongey and peeled off and the fumes must have eaten my clear coat around the bottom as I have weird peeling going on now. I sprayed it down with quick wash, then decided better and washed it with S100 but I still dont have a hose on outside so I dumped a gallon of water over it with a cloth washing it off the S100.
So. How badly did I f-up my tanks paint? if it hasnt etched and fallen off yet should I be ok? :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

dont remember those before

ate the plastic trim too, and its paint, going to have to hunt down this ring for the pop up cap, without buying the cap

Old 03-13-2018, 10:32 AM
Rengnath
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrscoobie
well today i found out im a dumbass, but Caused it about a week ago.
taking the bike apart to put new stabilizers (engine mounts) on it, so that means taking just about everything off. No problem! Except I forgot I just got gas, so I had a full 4 gallons in the tank. as soon as I removed the rubber boot it started spilling gas everywhere. Nooo!! so I plugged it with my finger, and then realized I needed to unplug the fuel pump still which takes 2 hands. ugh. ended up flipping the tank over to get it to stop leaking. but when I put it down it started leaking again. rather than filling the garage with gas I decided to leave it like that until I could take it outside, and with a rag flip her till the overfill thing stopped.
Well I f-in forgot. checked today since I was without power for the last 5 days here in NJ and well, looks like the cap isnt air tight. the glue tape holding on the surrounding trim to the cap was all spongey and peeled off and the fumes must have eaten my clear coat around the bottom as I have weird peeling going on now. I sprayed it down with quick wash, then decided better and washed it with S100 but I still dont have a hose on outside so I dumped a gallon of water over it with a cloth washing it off the S100.
So. How badly did I f-up my tanks paint? if it hasnt etched and fallen off yet should I be ok? :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

dont remember those before

ate the plastic trim too, and its paint, going to have to hunt down this ring for the pop up cap, without buying the cap
If the clear coat is peeling, it might be too late for your tank. You can try wetsanding and buffing but no telling how long it will last. Hopefully it will clean up ok.

Not to add to your list of problems, but that fuel valve on the bottom of the tank should have an auto stop on it when the hose is disconnected. When you pull off the fuel line, you usually get a few drips of gas but nothing major. Mine just went bad, and caused the connection to drip after connecting my fuel line. $60 for a new valve and I had to remove the fuel pump from the tank (after I had thought I was all done).

slvrscoobie (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 10:35 AM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Rengnath
If the clear coat is peeling, it might be too late for your tank. You can try wetsanding and buffing but no telling how long it will last. Hopefully it will clean up ok.

Not to add to your list of problems, but that fuel valve on the bottom of the tank should have an auto stop on it when the hose is disconnected. When you pull off the fuel line, you usually get a few drips of gas but nothing major. Mine just went bad, and caused the connection to drip after connecting my fuel line. $60 for a new valve and I had to remove the fuel pump from the tank (after I had thought I was all done).
well once i righted the tank, it leaked a few drops but then stopped, like it did last time it was taken off. I guess maybe the tank was just too full and jostling it around to get it off filled up the overflow area and caused it to leak from there until it evaporated out. Guess I'll see how it holds up at this point.
Thats the only spot (under the tank) that seems to be damaged so
i hate having to work on things, then getting interrupted.
Stupid snow / power outage.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?