Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:23 PM
Brickchick
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Tstephen. Im not scratching my head but im nodding in agreement. Using the gas to see whats underneath before moving forward is a great idea. I think.
i will definitely be keeping that in mind for my future craigslist finds.
i always look forward to reading your comments. I have personally learned alot from you and others on this forum.

The following users liked this post:
TStephen (03-12-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 03:36 PM
priell3
Road Master
Received 1,804 Likes on 484 Posts

I ordered a Mustang solo seat today. Report and pics when I get it on the bike.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:05 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TStephen
I'm gonna make some people scratch their heads, and probably call me an idiot, but I've never been afraid of **** like that, so here goes.

Try some gasoline. Yup, pure petrol. Try to take some of the black off with it. If that stuff is typical rattle can ****, it will melt right off. If there is factory paint underneath it, the factory stuff will resist the gasoline nicely. You may end up with a presentable fender underneath that mess.

Paint stripper or sanding will destroy the factory finish that might be under there.

I've done this in similar situations, just not on a motorcycle fender.

Got nothing to lose trying it. I will post about what happens with it at that time. Thank you.

Coincidentally, I was removing plasti-dip from the grill of my Jetta today. Gas and brake-cleaner worked the best.

Last edited by underwhelmd; 03-09-2018 at 04:07 PM.
TStephen (03-12-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Grey_Beard
Tourer
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Owner
(lewk-Looks like Metzeler ME880 Marathon.) - correct sir.

Metzler ME880 Marathon, and yes to the sizes. They handle fairly well for my style of riding. I dont ride the sporty like I rode my sport bikes, but I do push it into the curves a little bit, when I’m in the hills. I haven’t had any issues with the Metzlers..

Interesting. Have you modified the rims so not to use inner tubes, or are you using inner tubes? I ask because I thought it was taboo to use inner tubes with a tire designed to be tubeless. Something to do with friction between the inner tube and the tire, that would cause the tube to fail.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

rode around like a jerk to get exhaust gaskets for the Lazarus refresh. love my sporty

Old 03-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Owner
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey_Beard
Interesting. Have you modified the rims so not to use inner tubes, or are you using inner tubes? I ask because I thought it was taboo to use inner tubes with a tire designed to be tubeless. Something to do with friction between the inner tube and the tire, that would cause the tube to fail.
No mods to the rims, I’m using tubes and Dyna beads (instead of wheel weights). I haven’t had any issues, even in the AZ heat of summer. But again, I ride like an “experienced in pain” adult, so I don’t really do any aggressive riding aside from the curves in the Superstions. And that’s only on the few “well maintained” roads..
I keep the tire pressure at 41f & 36r, and have no complaints whatsoever.

Grey_Beard (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 11:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Wink

.....I thought it was taboo to use inner tubes with a tire designed to be tubeless.
Most modern tubeless tyres are also designed to be used with tubes, although it is best to check the manufacturer's website. Few if any bike tyres are designed to be only used with a tube these days.

Grey_Beard (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Grey_Beard
Tourer
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Owner
No mods to the rims, I’m using tubes and Dyna beads (instead of wheel weights). I haven’t had any issues, even in the AZ heat of summer. But again, I ride like an “experienced in pain” adult, so I don’t really do any aggressive riding aside from the curves in the Superstions. And that’s only on the few “well maintained” roads..
I keep the tire pressure at 41f & 36r, and have no complaints whatsoever.
Originally Posted by grbrown
Most modern tubeless tyres are also designed to be used with tubes, although it is best to check the manufacturer's website. Few if any bike tyres are designed to be only used with a tube these days.

Well that great to hear. I've got a lot the learn from my 30 year hiatus from riding! Plus this is my first motorcycle that has laced rims.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Owner
Tourer

Well that great to hear. I've got a lot the learn from my 30 year hiatus from riding! Plus this is my first motorcycle that has laced rims.
I worked at a small independent shop for 11 years. (Mares Cycle Downers Grove IL) In those years, I installed many tubes/tires on laced wheel. The only main requirement I can remember with a laced wheel, was to use the rim band to cover the nipples and prevent issues between them and the tube. I never knew of any way to go tubeless on a lace wheel.( back then) I left the shop in 2002 when the owners retired, closed shop and moved. I’m sure in the past 16 years, advances have been made in the ability to use tubeless tires on laced wheels, but I’ve personally never thought of even looking it up.
I’m not sure how I’d feel about the technology anyway. I personally feel pretty safe having the tubes in my wheels..

Grey_Beard (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 07:14 PM
Owner
Tourer

So on a side note, got “most” of my 49mm conversion parts from HD today. EXCEPT the upper tree!, HD says it’s on backorder... how the hell is a current production part, on backorder. How many upper tree’s can be bad, that all are gone from warehouse?
Ugh.. Hopefully they have some good news this week, on availability...

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?