Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:42 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

searched for oil leaks...

was asked what model my bike was twice by random folks. 2007 883 was not an acceptable answer. "no! that's new" lol... no. old

Last edited by cvaria; 09-23-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Rurlndum
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Installed a digital voltmeter. I think it is essential to have one.

https://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/mo...im-style-volt/

$35.00 on Amazon

Last edited by Rurlndum; 09-23-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: More info
Old 09-23-2017, 06:45 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 982 Posts

I dont see it in the picture, oh wait, there wasn't a picture....
How 'bout posting an install pic ?

thanks!

T.

Last edited by WKNDS; 09-23-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Rurlndum
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know to post a pic now that Photobucket is gone. The little voltmeter got velcroed with the double sided tape provided to the handlebar clamp and I ran the wires to the right front running light. Tedious insulation stripping and soldering but I got 'er done. Love the way the unit flashes and warns you when the battery voltage drops below 11.5 volts. Time to head for home when that happens.

I'm not worried at all about the adhesive mounting system as the voltmeter is very light weight. Be very patient when working with the wiring inside of the running light.

Why the Harley-Davidson Motor Company did not provide a warning for a charging system problem is beyond me.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:59 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Rurlndum
Don't know to post a pic now that Photobucket is gone. The little voltmeter got velcroed with the double sided tape provided to the handlebar clamp and I ran the wires to the right front running light. Tedious insulation stripping and soldering but I got 'er done. Love the way the unit flashes and warns you when the battery voltage drops below 11.5 volts. Time to head for home when that happens.

I'm not worried at all about the adhesive mounting system as the voltmeter is very light weight. Be very patient when working with the wiring inside of the running light.

Why the Harley-Davidson Motor Company did not provide a warning for a charging system problem is beyond me.

Thanks for the info. I use postimg.org for photos, its free....

T.

The following users liked this post:
Rurlndum (09-23-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 10:39 AM
xerofokus
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Finally got my air suspension setup completed. First pic is of extended travel second is air'd out:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-fy3mqlfl.jpg

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-lmjcxzql.jpg

I didn't get this done today.. Been about two weeks, but I wanted to ride for a bit before I posted so I could accurately attest to the comfort of the ride. After riding around with this setup I am absolutely astounded that HD has let the sub-par comfort (that is the factory shocks) escape their factory. The factory shocks are terrible. No other way to describe it. With this air setup, I feel like I can enjoy riding again. It is like riding around on a pillow. Plus it just looks bad *** pulling up to a spot and airing out

Old 09-24-2017, 11:16 AM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by xerofokus
Finally got my air suspension setup completed. First pic is of extended travel second is air'd out:

I didn't get this done today.. Been about two weeks, but I wanted to ride for a bit before I posted so I could accurately attest to the comfort of the ride. After riding around with this setup I am absolutely astounded that HD has let the sub-par comfort (that is the factory shocks) escape their factory. The factory shocks are terrible. No other way to describe it. With this air setup, I feel like I can enjoy riding again. It is like riding around on a pillow. Plus it just looks bad *** pulling up to a spot and airing out
Looks awesome! Wonder how it would compare to the progressive 412. Also I assume once you air it out, you need to ride as such till you hit an air compressor?

Old 09-24-2017, 11:33 AM
joetownsend
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to get my wife's 02 hugger not running on both cylinders its been sitting i rebuilt the carb already and new plugs but still not firing on both cylinders ran great last year when she stopped riding it
The on on the for end<br/>

Last edited by joetownsend; 09-24-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:34 AM
xerofokus
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by xerofokus

Originally Posted by slvrscoobie
Looks awesome! Wonder how it would compare to the progressive 412. Also I assume once you air it out, you need to ride as such till you hit an air compressor?

That'd be correct. That's why I have a compressor mounted on-board

Attachment 620891

Pic is from mock-up stages, but I'll grab another one if you're interested to see its permanent home.

The following 2 users liked this post by xerofokus:
deadrubberboy (09-25-2017), slvrscoobie (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
searched for oil leaks...

was asked what model my bike was twice by random folks. 2007 883 was not an acceptable answer. "no! that's new" lol... no. old
Had a similar encounter yesterday at the Bikes Blues & BBQ rally.. was asked if my darling Betty was "one of them new Irons".
Also watched a bike burst into flames after parking.
http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/moto...-bbb/817211836

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (09-24-2017)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?