Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 07:12 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by xerofokus
Got the shelf for my luggage rack finished:

Test rode it in to work today with my backpack secured on it and it worked splendidly!
This post reminds me of why I, sometimes, don't like this thread. The post is buried among "washed it", "rode it", "sold it" posts, at #5,820. What a pity. Objets d'art, like this piece, deserve their own thread. I know the OP coulda made his post a stand-alone thread, but either humility, ease of posting or some other reason has left this inspiring, functional work of beauty, wallowing in the mud. Many other fine examples of workmanship are lost in the myriad of posts with a, no offense intended, "I'm here, too" flavor.
I understand people's enthusiasm for sharing and being part of a community. I enjoy those traits of this thread, occasionally. However, I often wish this thread, didn't exist, so Craftsman and Artisans might be more likely to start a new thread that's identifiable and, possibly, better at disseminating useful information. Would the OP have posted his creation if this thread wasn't available? Hard to say.
Now that I've added to the bloat, rant, over.

The following 4 users liked this post by HarleyScuba:
cvaria (06-09-2017), Old Iron Man (06-11-2017), wachuko (06-10-2017), xerofokus (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 07:21 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,365 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
This post reminds me of why I, sometimes, don't like this thread. The post is buried among "washed it", "rode it", "sold it" posts, at #5,820. What a pity. Objets d'art, like this piece, deserve their own thread.
...snip....
Agreed. I like the dimple die work myself.
Question, was the whole 'rig' powdercoated after it was
welded together ?

Thanks,

T.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 10:57 PM
xerofokus
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Agreed. I like the dimple die work myself.
Question, was the whole 'rig' powdercoated after it was
welded together ?

Thanks,

T.
I powdered it prior to assembly. It is a bolt together unit that I created in my spare time. I really appreciate the complements on the dimples. My wife can't stand them. Needless to say I had to show her your post to prove that someone other than myself likes them haha

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
This post reminds me of why I, sometimes, don't like this thread. The post is buried among "washed it", "rode it", "sold it" posts, at #5,820. What a pity. Objets d'art, like this piece, deserve their own thread. I know the OP coulda made his post a stand-alone thread, but either humility, ease of posting or some other reason has left this inspiring, functional work of beauty, wallowing in the mud. Many other fine examples of workmanship are lost in the myriad of posts with a, no offense intended, "I'm here, too" flavor.
I understand people's enthusiasm for sharing and being part of a community. I enjoy those traits of this thread, occasionally. However, I often wish this thread, didn't exist, so Craftsman and Artisans might be more likely to start a new thread that's identifiable and, possibly, better at disseminating useful information. Would the OP have posted his creation if this thread wasn't available? Hard to say.

I understand your comment is directed at more than just my luggage rack, but I have to admit I'm flattered by your complement. I try to keep my build thread updated with projects that I'm working on to keep them out of this clutter. However I am new to this forum and haven't yet found the best place to start a new thread or found the best topic/thread to show off my fun. Thank you again!

The following 2 users liked this post by xerofokus:
cvaria (06-09-2017), HarleyScuba (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 07:58 AM
JIMMYJEEP92
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Back lit Speedometer

I would like to do that on my Iron. What parts are involved, and what is the install process?
Thanks, Jim

Old 06-10-2017, 08:23 AM
xerofokus
Tourer

Originally Posted by JIMMYJEEP92
I would like to do that on my Iron. What parts are involved, and what is the install process?
Thanks, Jim
You just need PLCC2 leds of your color choice and some paticence. Taking the assembly apart is the most time consuming part of the task. You have to pry the lip of the bezzle holding the glass smoothly all the way around. Took me about 20 passes to get mine. If you go too quickly, it'll look like trash.

If it's more than you're comfortable doing, shoot me a pm. I've done a few instrument clusters now.

Last edited by xerofokus; 06-10-2017 at 10:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hscic (06-11-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 11:32 PM
xerofokus
Tourer

Today I cut and installed a speedo relocation bracket. Not the best pics, but it's midnight:

Name:  File%20Jun%2011%2012%2011%2040%20AM_zps5mr59azi.jpeg
Views: 95
Size:  93.9 KB
Name:  File%20Jun%2011%2012%2010%2033%20AM_zpsscsmtwv4.jpeg
Views: 89
Size:  83.1 KB

Old 06-11-2017, 12:29 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by rhythm1978
Installed some shocks off a street glide. Took for a test spin last night. Wow. Night and day difference. Time to take this off some sweet jumps. The black shocks against the chrome frame covers looks off to me. I guess I might remove them now. It is worth the aesthetics for such a better ride.

Enjoy the ride...had the same shocks and loved it at 2 psi solo, but I also love my chrome and black shocks just did not do it for me....so picked up some chrome Bitubo's from DK. Similar ride but the Bitubos have better rebound...I think the SG was cushier.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:35 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatshisface
Just brought home a new 48 today. I'm brand new here as well. Plan to do a lot of mods now.
Nice ride there mate. But what do you think about the gap between the end of he seat and the gass tank

Wiz

Old 06-11-2017, 12:15 PM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rhythm1978
Installed some shocks off a street glide. Took for a test spin last night. Wow. Night and day difference. Time to take this off some sweet jumps. The black shocks against the chrome frame covers looks off to me. I guess I might remove them now. It is worth the aesthetics for such a better ride.
Nice choice! Glad to see you got what you were lookin for. I too have the chrome strut covers and I don't really like how the chrome cuts up the black continuity. So, I'm going to black strut covers and signal housings here soon.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:56 PM
Gentlemanjim
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed this tidy little Viking bag

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-img_0655.jpg   What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-img_0657.jpg  

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?