Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 05:05 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Let me tell ya if you haven't ridden a different brand, lets call it
Brand-D, HOLY CRAP BATMAN! This devil hauls A$$.

I'm keeping my Harleys though. The new one is just a different
experience altogether. I doubt I'll ever go 'bikeless' again....

T. (still love my Harleys)
that xdiavel is the business... im guessing you slid in well under the near $20k asking price since you couldn't refuse the offer.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:13 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
that xdiavel is the business... im guessing you slid in well under the near $20k asking price since you couldn't refuse the offer.
Heh, well lets just say they threw in some extras and
provided 0 down/0%/60mos financing to-boot & leave it at that

T.(but tax/title/license fees sucked)

Old 06-06-2017, 07:05 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,312 Likes on 1,860 Posts

T.(but tax/title/license fees sucked)
They always have and do...

Old 06-06-2017, 08:37 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Shdwcaster
Minor comfort item installs in preparation for my first Bun Burner 1500 run next weekend. Wrapped the right handguard in duct tape to (hopefully) prevent the plexiglass from cracking further and breaking off while I'm zooming down the freeway. The cracks were entirely my fault from over-tightening the screws during my second go at installation. That said, I don't plan on replacing them with a new set, I think I'll try my hand at a bit of metal bending later this year.

Main change was adding the Puig windshield visor extension. Looks goofy as all get out, but it works! I spent my first year thinking that the feeling of getting my head constantly slapped from all angles at anything over 60mph was normal, and caused by my helmet, until a demo ride two weeks ago on an Ultra Glide showed me I was wrong.

I tested out the change on my commute today, no more helmet slaps.

So until I can afford a full Memphis Shades batwing fairing plus tall windshield, this silly looking solution will do.

It's the wind/turbulance/buffeting under the windshield that'll knock your noggin. Google "Harley fangs", found on touring/softail models. Deflectors at the base of the windshield redirects the air flow from under your windshield. If you've decided that a BB1500 is your goal, take a few minutes/miles to explore lower wind deflectors. Sometimes, adding a couple washers ("spacers") to the top mounting bolts (or the bottom mounting points), changes a weinieshield's angle enough to eliminate/minimize buffeting, without the need for an upper, additional, deflector.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:32 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Minor comfort item installs in preparation for my first Bun Burner 1500 run next weekend. Wrapped the right handguard in duct tape to (hopefully) prevent the plexiglass from cracking further and breaking off while I'm zooming down the freeway. The cracks were entirely my fault from over-tightening the screws during my second go at installation. That said, I don't plan on replacing them with a new set, I think I'll try my hand at a bit of metal bending later this year.

Main change was adding the Puig windshield visor extension. Looks goofy as all get out, but it works! I spent my first year thinking that the feeling of getting my head constantly slapped from all angles at anything over 60mph was normal, and caused by my helmet, until a demo ride two weeks ago on an Ultra Glide showed me I was wrong.

I tested out the change on my commute today, no more helmet slaps.

So until I can afford a full Memphis Shades batwing fairing plus tall windshield, this silly looking solution will do.

As mentioned in the other thread...Although a good concept, I would not extend a windshield above the nose (assuming you have the correct height windshield). That height is generally recommended for safety reasons so you can see over the shield and not through it. So if it rains or mud hits your windshield, you can still see the road.

IMO that extension is definitely function over beauty. I can see it functioning fine if the top of the extension is at nose height and you move the extension forward to form a flared effect.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:38 AM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Let me tell ya if you haven't ridden a different brand, lets call it
Brand-D, HOLY CRAP BATMAN! This devil hauls A$$.

I'm keeping my Harleys though. The new one is just a different
experience altogether. I doubt I'll ever go 'bikeless' again....

T. (still love my Harleys)
I came to the Sporty from vintage Honda Twins. Never ridden anything like that Ducati. Looks like something out of Akira!

I'm thinking I won't be able to let the bike go and be bikeless. I just keep having the thought crop up in the back of my head. Once the weather allows for some good ride time I'm sure I'll wonder how I ever considered selling.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

When I got a windshield, there was a lot of buffeting. I had positioned it as high as I could on the fork, thinking the higher, the less air on my head. But it was the opposite. You have a big gap above the headlight before the bottom of the windshield. This is a place where a lot of air comes in. Any way to lower that shield and close that opening?

This is how mine looks lowered.
Name:  Windshield%20lower%201.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  215.3 KB

The following users liked this post:
Shdwcaster (06-07-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 03:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by guitarfish
When I got a windshield, there was a lot of buffeting. I had positioned it as high as I could on the fork, thinking the higher, the less air on my head. But it was the opposite. You have a big gap above the headlight before the bottom of the windshield. This is a place where a lot of air comes in. Any way to lower that shield and close that opening?
If you take a look at the current touring bikes you will see there is now an air scoop in the batwing, just under the windshield. It is there for a very good reason, to let air in. By doing that and relieving the vacuum immediately behind the shield, it reduces buffetting, in other words air spilling in around the shield. That gap above Shdwcaster's headlight is preferable IMHO, although whether it does any good is another matter. My Sporty windshield sits down lower than that, but rides just fine. Shows how unpredictable the wind is!

Old 06-08-2017, 03:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

I have a similar one on Buttercup, but I see you have yours behind the main windshield instead of in front:

Works better this way IMHO, as it lets some air in, to relieve pressure behind the shield. Jus' a thought!

The following users liked this post:
Shdwcaster (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 06:43 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,312 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Hmm...looks like it's in the Front to me

What do you see?

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?