Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:34 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Rerouted the oil lines and wiring that I had previously routed and thought, "hmmm......that doesn't look right."
It wasn't.
Now it is.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:41 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Got my wheels balanced, installed, aligned and torqued.
Time to install tins.

Getting sooooooo close to being ready to start this girl and ride her again.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

Not doing much to mine lately except riding it. It's about time to change the oil to 60wt for the warm weather, though. Contrary to what you hear, not all Ironheads are nightmarish pieces of crap that need constant repairs...ha ha

Name:  B835FD6A-26B1-4F9B-A8EF-1520C4F4ABD9.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  225.4 KB

Old 04-13-2017, 09:47 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Installing 2 1/2 risers with 1" pull back to bring my bikini beach bars a little further back so I can sit straight up.

Replacing my aftermarket chrome switch cover kits with HD...Harley's covers are made a lot better than aftermarket. The aftermarket ones tend to cross-thread as mine did which caused the cover to come loose and affect brake lever.

Replacing engine bolts with show polished grade 8 fasteners from Alloy Boltz

Old 04-13-2017, 11:40 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Just Picked Up Bike From Annual Inspection And 10K Service

So I have a drip that is coming from the transmission drain plug. Not sure if the INDY didn't properly tighten up the bolt or if he destroyed the O-Ring on the bolt. I see a small drip on the floor of my HD SHED that is new since I picked up the bike. About 1 table spoon that spread out that is likely looking worse than it was. BUT I only have 100 miles on the bike since I picked it up and and I have no clue how long its been leaking...the past 5 days since I got it back.

Is there an O-Ring on the transmission magnetic drain plug? My 2013 service manual says yes. I call my local dealer and they say no. They claim to use 3 wraps of white teflon pipe seal. When I inspected the bolt and found the drip I see what looks to be whats left of a black O-ring that is very thin just hanging. I was able to easily remove it. But I can't tell if it was a very thin O-Ring or some form of black permatex material. I know the bolt was not very tight as I bumped it lose and it took nothing to do that when I just bumped it back tight again. Good news was that it has not leaked in a day since I found the drip and tightened the trans drain plug. I know my manual say it takes just a small amount of in/ounces of torque to reinstall.

ALSO my local dealer is telling me that my 1200XL Custom has what they call a "monolythic" system where as the main engine oil and trans share the same oil. ??? So as long as my main oil dip stick is reading ok I have enough.

Is that right???

My service manual does not call that out. Needless to say it shows to remove the 5 screws on the clutch inspection cover to check the trans fluid oil as well to add.

Can someone clear this up?

Can I just remove the trans drain plug and add teflon tape and reinstall? Manual shows loctite 565 and says to replace the O-ring.

Can I just remove the clutch inspection cover/derby cover and check the trans fluid and add as necessary to refill/top off? Will I need to replace some form of seal/O-ring that is behind that cover? Called a "quad ring"?

Thanks for any help in advance!

I hate to say it but it really is frustrating to pay for service and have to fix sh## after I get it back. As well as get shotty info from places who are to be in know... WFT

Last edited by GMRO; 04-13-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

GMRO,

Yes, there's supposed to be an o-ring on the trans plug, clearly shown in the parts diagram. The engine oil (with dipstick) is for engine only. The primary oil is a separate compartment, it takes a quart of Formula+, although some people use other oils. There's no dipstick for this.

With the bike cool, you should be able to remove the drain plug and hold a finger over the hole, and reinsert the plug once an o-ring is on it. If you catch whatever oil you lose in a pan, it's easy enough to put it back in, probably through the chain inspection cover.

The following users liked this post:
GMRO (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:06 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GMRO

Is there an O-Ring on the transmission magnetic drain plug? My 2013 service manual says yes. I call my local dealer and they say no.

ALSO my local dealer is telling me that my 1200XL Custom has what they call a "monolythic" system where as the main engine oil and trans share the same oil. ??? So as long as my main oil dip stick is reading ok I have enough.

Who are you talking to at the dealer, the cleaning lady???

Two different systems, engine oil and primary-tran.

There should be an O-ring on the plug, just get one from the dealer and install it. Five minutes and a couple bucks.

Why not pick up a quart of Formula+ while you're at it, it's only $9 and considering the shitty information you're getting from everyone, I wonder if the Indy even changed the oil.

GMRO (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:20 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd definitely find the source of the leak and then change the tranny oil myself, but you should be aware that just because the drip is on the drain plug, that doesn't mean that's where the leak is- since it's the low point it'll also show there if your shift shaft seal is leaking, and probably the derby cover too.

GMRO (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:53 PM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I've no clue what was up at the dealer...it was parts dept. As I'm on the phone he's clicking around on his PC looking. He asked me what bike/year/model etc. So I figured he was looking it up. Then I remember I've got a PDF copy of the service manual on my iphone so after I hang up I see what he tells me and what HD says are not even close.

Yes I paid for Forumla+, I picked up a spare quart and it's called out on my invoice. Ams 20/50 full syn was put in the engine and I picked up a spare quart of that as well from INDY too.

I agree that this bolt is the lowest point and drips can accumulate there from a few areas. BUT after I wiped the bike clean around all areas on the LEFT side trans and re-tightened this bolt all is dry. The bottom of the bike is bone dry. My issue is I've no clue how much it lost in 5 days. Could be 2 oz. If I add some back in the chain inspection cover I can't see the level of the clutch spring area that the manual calls out for this fluid. I may just add 2 oz to it and be done with it... That is after I get a new O-ring and reinstall the drain plug. If I lose more as I fiddle around I'll keep track of it and add as needed/lost.

THANKS AGAIN!

Last edited by GMRO; 04-13-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:23 PM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

You will definitely lose some when replacing the drain plug.
Not too much if your real quick fingered and fluid is cold.
​​​​​​​

GMRO (04-13-2017)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?