Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 09:12 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

Hey guys, remember when I said that if there's a 1 in 1,000 chance something will go wrong, I will be that "1" guy? Yeee-uuuuup. I did the clutch job tonight.

The good news: the spring plate it out, the replacement plates are in. Woo-hoo!! The spring plate & rivets looked fine, which is what I was hoping for. I measured the stack of existing friction plates, they were .700". Manual says replace if .661" or less, so they're well within spec. In fact, when I measured the new friction plate and compared it to the existing, there was no measurable difference. As I hoped, this clutch pack has a lot of life in it.

OK, so disassembly. First, the bolts on the primary case were VERY tight and had thread lock on them. What the heck? The service manual doesn't spec thread lock. I had to use pliers and really pull to get a couple of the bolts out once I had them backed out of the threads. There were hard chunks of thread lock on those. This left me wondering if someone had this primary cover off before.

Next, the clutch cable was RIDICULOUSLY tight where it screws into the primary cover. Dang. Got that off finally. Now time for reassembly. I only put a few bolts in to hold the primary cover, and decided to do some of the other things, like the clutch cable...just in case I forgot something and needed to open her up. So I snug the clutch cable back on to the case, give it a quarter turn, and then it spins free! Crap!

For a moment, I thought I stripped the threads out of the primary cover. (Can you say $350?) But instead, the threaded part of the clutch cable ferrule had broken right off, and was screwed into the primary cover. I couldn't pull the clutch cable out because of this. So I patted myself on the back for only putting a few bolts in, and quickly removed the cover.

A small screwdriver, needle nose, patience, and 10 minutes later I had the broken piece out. The primary cover appears unharmed. It's now installed and torqued.

So my mission tomorrow is to find a local dealer (3 within an hour of me) that has a clutch cable. Otherwise order one and lose a week. Once I get that cable I should have it back together in 30 minutes.

WHEW. Thanks all for the advice and help. I'm really looking forward to getting this done, I've stressed about it far too much.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:49 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by guitarfish
knew you could do it.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:37 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

^^^
Ha ha ha!!!

Old 04-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

OK, so disassembly. First, the bolts on the primary case were VERY tight and had thread lock on them. What the heck? The service manual doesn't spec thread lock. I had to use pliers and really pull to get a couple of the bolts out once I had them backed out of the threads. There were hard chunks of thread lock on those. This left me wondering if someone had this primary cover off before.
Yes, someone did. The factory only uses threadlock on a few high torque nuts & bolts, and no anti seize at all. It wouldn't hurt to put a small drop of blue Loctite on those case screws, but I don't think it's necessary with the right torque, haven't had a problem with them installed clean.

.... the threaded part of the clutch cable ferrule had broken right off, and was screwed into the primary cover. I couldn't pull the clutch cable out because of this. So I patted myself on the back for only putting a few bolts in, and quickly removed the cover.
Whoever had the cover off before probably put the cable in with gorilla torque and stressed the threaded portion too much. The oil ring is going to keep it from leaking; actually, torquing it down and squashing the o-ring could lead to an early leak. Snug should be good for that one. You're lucky the gorilla didn't strip threads in the case.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:03 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,361 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Not alot, but I made a template/mock-up for the continuation
of the 'Buckshot theme' on the OL's sportster. Maybe
it'll look ok, maybe not. Time will tell when its 'done'.
(no pics for now cause it might suck)

T.

Well I was never good at keeping a secret.
Its far from "done", but here's what I was working on.
Got both of them "buckshoted" today....

T.

The following 2 users liked this post by WKNDS:
cvaria (04-01-2017), IAmWoody (04-02-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 03:56 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Well I was never good at keeping a secret.
Its far from "done", but here's what I was working on.
Got both of them "buckshoted" today....

T.

I can certainly say I have never seen a buckshotted battery cover...that is definitely unque and that's what it's all about....making it your own. Hope YOU like it. Interested in seeing it on the bike.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:37 PM
JediGoalie30
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Figured out my electrical issue with the lights...one of the fuses must have been going bad. They all looked fine the first time I checked, but I checked them again today and one blew as I removed it. Replaced that fuse and now everything works! I'll be keeping an eye on it, though. And my new LED's look AWESOME!!!

Old 04-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Imold
Whoever had the cover off before probably put the cable in with gorilla torque and stressed the threaded portion too much. The oil ring is going to keep it from leaking; actually, torquing it down and squashing the o-ring could lead to an early leak. Snug should be good for that one. You're lucky the gorilla didn't strip threads in the case.
Yeah, I definitely dodged a projectile there. She's all back together with a new clutch cable. Pocono Mountain Harley in Stroudsburg, PA is an hour away, and they came through for me, had one in stock.

I took it for a 20 mile test ride (with tools in my bag, lol). All good! No perceptible difference in shifting, it's superb. No leaks either. I'm super happy this is done!

The following 2 users liked this post by Bluesrider.df:
cvaria (04-01-2017), TStephen (04-03-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 08:40 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

A pic from the garage last night, when things were getting interesting.
Name:  Clutch%20job.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  113.3 KB

The following users liked this post:
IAmWoody (04-02-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

A pic from the garage last night, when things were getting interesting.
Great Job Dave! I just got done watching your Vlog. Been catching up. Looks like you are back in business man!

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?