Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Did 150 miles today. The new windshield really took the fatigue out of riding at freeway speeds! Best $50 I ever spent.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:58 PM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts

Which windshield? In the process of returning my national cycle defender but after 150 miles today, some at 60+ with a headwind I might be rethinking it.
Installed my yomoto led h4 light today. Tried this am but the plastic holder was too small for the screw and it wouldn't go together before my ride this am. So I got back and tried again. Seems ok although with the eve headlight I had to put the low beams facing up which I had backwards.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Decided it was time to put the air shocks on I got over a year ago. Keep putting it off, didn't want the down time on the bike. I'll just have to make do with one of the others for a bit. Thought I could do it in a day, but picked a day that turned into swamp weather, was soaked in sweat by the time I got the oil of them and didn't finish. Couldn't have finished anyway, forgot to get new valves - I'm not going to use the balance line, single fill point setup, without bags they're easy to reach, should be easy enough to get the same pressure with the little hand pump.

Name:  airshock%20swap.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  276.4 KB

I've seen posts here about making a shock compressor with 2x4's, but why bother? I just took the stock shocks off and put one of the air shocks on upside down. Real easy to compress just one, quickly just get air hissing, no fluid. I would suggest having some paper towels and floor dry handy, the garage gremlin liked to pull the drain hose off or point it the wrong direction when I wasn't looking.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:21 AM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrscoobie
Which windshield? In the process of returning my national cycle defender but after 150 miles today, some at 60+ with a headwind I might be rethinking it.
Installed my yomoto led h4 light today. Tried this am but the plastic holder was too small for the screw and it wouldn't go together before my ride this am. So I got back and tried again. Seems ok although with the eve headlight I had to put the low beams facing up which I had backwards.
I bought a used but mint full sized quick release last week.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I got a National Cycle Plexifairing for my 1200 for cold riding a couple winters ago, and thought it was the best handlebar mount wind stopper I ever rode behind. Then it got warm and I found out it was too good for warm weather; I like to ride with a mesh armored jacket that's actually cooler than a t-shirt - but only with a breeze through it. No breeze with that windshield, and you roast. Didn't think I'd want a windshield in summer anyway, but my back sure liked it on longer rides. Need to find a little one that will knock the pressure off my chest without putting a lot of buffet on my head; so far all the little ones I've ridden behind were bad buffeters.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:52 AM
sgthwjack
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I got a National Cycle Plexifairing for my 1200 for cold riding a couple winters ago, and thought it was the best handlebar mount wind stopper I ever rode behind. Then it got warm and I found out it was too good for warm weather; I like to ride with a mesh armored jacket that's actually cooler than a t-shirt - but only with a breeze through it. No breeze with that windshield, and you roast. Didn't think I'd want a windshield in summer anyway, but my back sure liked it on longer rides. Need to find a little one that will knock the pressure off my chest without putting a lot of buffet on my head; so far all the little ones I've ridden behind were bad buffeters.
I've got the HD Sport windshield and once the angle is adjusted properly it stops most of the buffeting but I still get enough airflow to stay relatively cool. Just my experience.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:02 PM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts

have to keep this in mind, looks a little bigger than the national 'defender' but not obscene and fits the style well. Coulda used something yesterday while I was doing 65+ out on 22/78W

Old 07-11-2016, 01:19 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

been packing my pockets full of stuff while riding lately... tools, keys, glasses, gloves etc. got tired of it so i went and got a small swingarm tool bag. paid like $10 so i couldnt complain. only issue is the passenger peg (no need for them as i dont ride two up) gets in the way. id like it to fit without moving or taking off the peg so ill mess around with re adjusting it and maybe sliding it back. just dont want any ties to get in the way of the brake disc.
Name:  5BE87B40-31BA-4109-BEB7-669C29C5D57A_zpsjyv10vmq.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  2.23 MB

Old 07-11-2016, 02:28 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Originally Posted by AK883xl
been packing my pockets full of stuff while riding lately... tools, keys, glasses, gloves etc. got tired of it so i went and got a small swingarm tool bag. paid like $10 so i couldnt complain. only issue is the passenger peg (no need for them as i dont ride two up) gets in the way. id like it to fit without moving or taking off the peg so ill mess around with re adjusting it and maybe sliding it back. just dont want any ties to get in the way of the brake disc.
Might try tying the tool bag on the down tube just under the battery cover. That swing arm will rattle your stuff on every bump. Then you won't have to mess with the peg.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:54 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

good idea... was trying to keep it off the fork and front of the bike... but ill give it a try. its probably going to be temporary till i get a bigger one

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?