Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 09:24 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
In the process of replacing my rotor and relocating the caliper....I was so careful not to strip the rotor bolts. Got four off, then it happened on the last torque bolt. Was using a T45 torque bit....had it out about half way then it slipped. I am bummed.

Those rotor bolts are a bitch to remove....every turn of the wrench takes effort. Will be trying vice-grip again since the bolt is 1/2 way out but the first time bolt did not budge.

Any suggestions on how to remove a stripped bolt.
you may be using the wrong size torx. 47 maybe. yes vice grips. be sure to use NEW BOLTS when putting it all back together

Old 05-28-2016, 09:43 PM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Went to the gas station and put 3.3 gallons of gas in. First time I have been on a bike since i got a compression fracture of L3 on 13 April 2016.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:24 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
you may be using the wrong size torx. 47 maybe. yes vice grips. be sure to use NEW BOLTS when putting it all back together
T47 was too large. Got all of the bolts out. Vice grips did not work. My neighbor works on his bikes too so I asked him...he let me borrow these special craftsman pliers...it's directional. Works wonders and definitely better than a vice grip...I am getting one.

My hands were bleeding from broken blisters. My palm is hurting from pushing in the ratchet while turning it to keep the bit entirely engaged.

Time for a break. Ready to push the axle in to remove the rotor and caliper. Tomorrow is another day.

Last edited by hscic; 05-28-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:44 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

T47 was too large. Got all of the bolts out. Vice grips did not work. My neighbor works on his bikes too so I asked him...he let me borrow these special craftsman pliers...it's directional. Works wonders and definitely better than a vice grip...I am getting one.

My hands were bleeding from broken blisters. My palm is hurting from pushing in the ratchet while turning it to keep the bit entirely engaged.

Time for a break. Ready to push the axle in to remove the rotor and caliper. Tomorrow is another day.
fun, isn't it. will feel good when you get it all done... may not feel good right now... i've been there a few times:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post14841653

The following users liked this post:
hscic (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Svadilfare
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Other than expense, why not use real hose ends?
(IIRC you've got experience using them on car apps, but I could be wrong)

Here's a few old pics of my Arlen Ness setup using real braided hose,
hose ends, and a catch-can....

hth,

T.

Neat! I'm definitely going to swap my clamp and rubber hose setup for braided hoses and real hose ends.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:59 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Svadilfare
Neat! I'm definitely going to swap my clamp and rubber hose setup for braided hoses and real hose ends.
Do your research if you aren't familiar with making AN lines. Its not hard but is tricky.

Svadilfare (05-31-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 05:22 PM
sgthwjack
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Decided to try something on the new backrest. Scrubbed it with alcohol and turns out it was dyed, not natural. Lightened it up some. Treated the seat with some protectant and now they are closer. Think I'll let the sun work on it a bit now.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-20160529_170325_hdr.jpg  
Old 05-29-2016, 05:23 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Got tired of wiping oil blow-by off the bike from the the breathers (the open bolt kind). It wasn't much but i decided to try something different. I put this together using DK parts:

Don't like the look, will be changing it, probably braided hose and fake hose ends, but I want to run it like this for a few miles to verify that it doesn't leak at the banjo fittings. If its solid I'll pretty it up and maybe relocate the little filter back to the swingarm area.
That'll work . Use the braided line for looks because performance is not an issue.

Also, what's the reason for the filter? There's no intake on these vent lines so.......is it just for looks? How long will it take to clog it up I wonder and if it clogs will it restrict venting?

I would rout the hoses below the frame and terminate them with an open end zip tied to the frame rail. The minor amount of blowby won't create a hazzardous situation.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:35 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by sgthwjack
Decided to try something on the new backrest. Scrubbed it with alcohol and turns out it was dyed, not natural. Lightened it up some. Treated the seat with some protectant and now they are closer. Think I'll let the sun work on it a bit now.
A much better match in color now....good job.

sgthwjack (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 07:52 PM
sgthwjack
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

A much better match in color now....good job.
Remembered that most leather dyes are alcohol based so I gave it a shot to see what would happen. Just kept rubbing until the cloth had no color, then applied some protectant after it dried awhile. Used to use leather dye on gunstocks, alcohol doesn't harm the wood or leather like petroleum based stains do.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?