Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 07:02 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Blacks, the bike looks great. Hope the snow passes over and it's all Spring from here on out.

The following users liked this post:
Blacks (04-10-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 07:03 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
@filbert33 - so did the dealer figure out the issue? Would be worse if they charged you 229 and couldn't figure it out. If so, then they did their job...

@cvaria - it all depends on your wrenching skills. IMO brakes are a safety issue and if the owner is not comfortable fussing with it, it is best to take it to the professionals i.e. those who are Harley certified.

I take my bike to the dealer on occasion but I have a good relationship with them....and the parts guys. And I also still have warranty on my 2011 with 55k until 2019 so I let them fuss with the safety things or things that may affect the big ticket components.
fair enough, for those average joes made nervous by this

i'm average joe too... i wouldn't say i have skills, i'm just stupid. lol

Old 04-09-2016, 07:09 PM
tlaw
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cvaria
i wouldn't say i have skills, i'm just stupid. lol
That makes two of us and I'm reminded of it every time I begin what is supposed to be an easy job.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:17 PM
hstrawn
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Put the engine guard on this afternoon. An easy project that took me way longer than necessary.

So yeah, I know I'm going to get hate comments on the engine guard. I like the bike better without it too but having gone down once I better appreciate the protection they provide, the money I would have saved and the bruises I might have avoided had I had one. That being said, the main motivation is because I've signed up for another safety course and this one you use your own bikes. I saw guys go down at the first class and if that happens to me, I want to know I've covered my bases protecting my bike as much as possible. In some of the books I've been reading, they recommend them for new riders so there's that too. I don't actually mind it as much as I thought I would and I bought it used so there's not too much $$ invested in it if/when I decided it's time to go.

So, had my guard on and off three times now since taking possession of my bike last summer (its off now) but heading to the attic tomorrow morning to get it down and put it back on after this and its following posts. Don't mind the look, sort of like it, but took it off because........? Guess because it was an easy job. Going back on for safety reasons now versus looks after reassessing the whole riding thing and also after going full faced helmet yesterday for the first time in over 55 years of on and off riding, also for safety reasons (although it looks good too). The older I get the more some things matter (safety-wise that is--not just for looks).

Last edited by hstrawn; 04-09-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:21 PM
tlaw
Road Captain

Yeah, I'm liking it more than I thought I would and haven't gotten any negative comments out here. I've been doing the full faced helmet too. I don't know it if was in the book the Proficient Motorcyclist but if not, something like that, that said new riders should go full face for at least two years. I have a half helmet I like better but yeah...
Originally Posted by hstrawn
The older I get the more some things matter (safety-wise that is--not just for looks).

Old 04-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Finished up my tank and then put it on. I'll get better pics when it's not raining. Looks cool in direct sunlight.

Name:  pJd5i3S.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  61.4 KB

Old 04-09-2016, 08:27 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane M
Finished up my tank and then put it on. I'll get better pics when it's not raining. Looks cool in direct sunlight.

looks great!

Old 04-09-2016, 08:29 PM
tlaw
Road Captain

Dane, that whole bike is amazing. It just keeps getting better and better.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:02 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane M

Looks pretty cool!

So, what's the significance of "Dirt Nap" to you. There are a few meanings for it (unconcious, dead and 6' under, etc...) and it's also a broad head manufacturer for archery.

Just curious what your slant was. No disrespect.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:28 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks guys

Originally Posted by TStephen

Looks pretty cool!

So, what's the significance of "Dirt Nap" to you. There are a few meanings for it (unconcious, dead and 6' under, etc...) and it's also a broad head manufacturer for archery.

Just curious what your slant was. No disrespect.
Just the bikes nickname I gave her.

Bikes pretty blacked out, so death, darkness. She likes to get all dirty right after I clean her, and brown leather, so I think dirt applies. There's the constant risk of death when riding motorcycles, risk of taking a dirt nap.

Real names Lily, Lilith. I think it all goes together.

Plus Dirt Nap just sounds cool, to me. And it looks good on a gas tank

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?