Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:12 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

^ this, Exactly the situation EZ Outs are made for. Buy good quality ones, not Harbor Freight ones.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:25 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the advice and go ahead and bust my chops, this should be an easy project. I know I suck at this but I'm determined to do as much myself as I can so as long as I get good advice, and I did, I'll take the ribbing that goes with it.

That being said, I ended up getting it off by grabbing it, or more like the washer behind it, with the vice grips and turning it little by little, try after try, until it loosened up. I did have the right size torx wrench, I know that much. I was glad not to have to use extractors and in fact, would have called in some help for that because I hear if you mess that up, it's a very difficult fix (A lot of information on You Tube on these things).

I took the basic MSF course last June. This year I'm taking what I think they call BSCII. We use our own bikes. It's a refresher course for the first for people who have a season under their belt. I figure if I only get one thing out of it, it'll be worth it and yeah, I'm Remedial but I'll never get to Intermediate if I don't work through this level. Getting this at age 52, none of it is instinctual for me so I study, practice, ride and figure I'll throw in a class when I can and see what else I can pick up.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:26 PM
tlaw
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
^ this, Exactly the situation EZ Outs are made for. Buy good quality ones, not Harbor Freight ones.
Luckily got it off without needing them but I think I'll get a set and have them on hand. I tend to run over to Sears and buy Craftsman stuff. Are there's any good?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tlaw
Thanks for the advice and go ahead and bust my chops, this should be an easy project. I know I suck at this but I'm determined to do as much myself as I can so as long as I get good advice, and I did, I'll take the ribbing that goes with it.

That being said, I ended up getting it off by grabbing it, or more like the washer behind it, with the vice grips and turning it little by little, try after try, until it loosened up. I did have the right size torx wrench, I know that much. I was glad not to have to use extractors and in fact, would have called in some help for that because I hear if you mess that up, it's a very difficult fix (A lot of information on You Tube on these things).

I took the basic MSF course last June. This year I'm taking what I think they call BSCII. We use our own bikes. It's a refresher course for the first for people who have a season under their belt. I figure if I only get one thing out of it, it'll be worth it and yeah, I'm Remedial but I'll never get to Intermediate if I don't work through this level. Getting this at age 52, none of it is instinctual for me so I study, practice, ride and figure I'll throw in a class when I can and see what else I can pick up.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.
Glad you got it! I'm not a big fan of torx either but with the right size tool and being certain its pushed all the way in they're usually not too bad.

EZ Outs are a great tool, good to keep around just in case. They work well and are easy to use. As long as you can get in there to drill in a bit they'll generally get the job done. Bet Youtube has some vids on proper usage.

Yea, Craftsman tools are fine.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 PM
sgthwjack
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

A minimal set of left-hand drill bits comes in handy at times. Sometimes drilling for the extractor actually removes the screw. Just a tip I picked up along the way.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:23 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sgthwjack
A minimal set of left-hand drill bits comes in handy at times. Sometimes drilling for the extractor actually removes the screw. Just a tip I picked up along the way.
Agreed, seen it happen.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:54 AM
tlaw
Road Captain

I'll add them to the collection too. All the tips/advice greatly appreciated.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:26 AM
Backinblack83
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I got a teaser vid from the shop yesterday

Old 04-07-2016, 10:06 AM
tlaw
Road Captain

That is a really cool looking exhaust. Sounds real nice.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by backinblack83
i got a teaser vid from the shop yesterday

https://youtu.be/vxqsyiakuu8
wap wap!

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?