Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 07:18 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

took it on a rip to walmart. rode the dyna earlier, it's just no comp for the experience of riding the sporty around the back roads like a bat outta hell, looking for a deer to hit.

i love my sporty

i noticed that i'm slightly afraid of my front brakes now and have been using my rears first and then applying the fronts lightly

Last edited by cvaria; 04-03-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:20 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Took off the lower belt guard, soldered up some bad connections, spot painted a few areas on the frame.

Can anyone explain why the PO would cut two of the wires going to the coil? I found a pink and a white wire under the tank, cut off and hanging. Looked in the service manual and the wiring diagram shows two pink wires joining on one post, and two white wires joining on the other post. Why would someone just cut two wires like that? Can't figure that one out so I soldered them and joined them as shown in the wiring diagram.

Spot painted a few areas on the frame and underside of the gas tank that were showing some rust.

Cleaned up the gas tank and petcock, and figured out why I was getting that horrendous rattling noise. There are missing grommets and spacers on the tank mounting hardware. The PO must have pulled the tank at some point and either lost them, or they were shot and he didn't bother replacing them. Metal on metal vibration at the tank mounting point will sure as hell make a racket.

I'll be calling the HD stealership tomorrow to see if they have the parts in stock.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:52 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TStephen
Took off the lower belt guard, soldered up some bad connections, spot painted a few areas on the frame.

Can anyone explain why the PO would cut two of the wires going to the coil? I found a pink and a white wire under the tank, cut off and hanging. Looked in the service manual and the wiring diagram shows two pink wires joining on one post, and two white wires joining on the other post. Why would someone just cut two wires like that? Can't figure that one out so I soldered them and joined them as shown in the wiring diagram.

Spot painted a few areas on the frame and underside of the gas tank that were showing some rust.

Cleaned up the gas tank and petcock, and figured out why I was getting that horrendous rattling noise. There are missing grommets and spacers on the tank mounting hardware. The PO must have pulled the tank at some point and either lost them, or they were shot and he didn't bother replacing them. Metal on metal vibration at the tank mounting point will sure as hell make a racket.

I'll be calling the HD stealership tomorrow to see if they have the parts in stock.
Do you have a tachometer?

Old 04-03-2016, 09:05 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Took a 20 mile ride to meet about 20-30 fellow Harley owners to practice slow speed maneuvers. They went to breakfast after the practice session and off for the normal Sunday ride to the North Shore.

Got home and noticed rust spots around my mammoth fat spoke rim....used aluminum foil and soda to remove the rust....polished and like new again.

The following users liked this post:
red sport. (04-04-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 09:16 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I think I stripped a Torx bolt trying to remove it so I've got no accomplishment to report unless you count negative ones.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:29 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Rode her on a PGR funeral mission.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:34 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac
Do you have a tachometer?
Yes, and it's been working which is weird considering that one of the pink wires is supposed to go to the tach and the other goes to the module. The kill switch works too so I'm a bit flummoxed as to what the deal is on why they were cut, and why everything still worked.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:40 AM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 831 Likes on 376 Posts

Had already swapped my black Bassani for a chrome Thunderheader and was still running a black Big Sucker.. which was giving my OCD fits. So after some Craigslist trawling I was able to score a brand new chrome Stg 2 straight swap for my black Stg 1. Not a bad come up. Last item is a detachable backrest which I'm hoping to get in a week or so and it's done until after the Laughlin River Run.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-img_20160403_154225.jpg   What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-img_20160403_154144.jpg  
Old 04-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Got home and noticed rust spots around my mammoth fat spoke rim....used aluminum foil and soda to remove the rust....polished and like new again.
Next time you change the tire, be sure to pull the rub strip and check the inside spoke heads, where they usually rust the worst; water wicks into them. The stock rim on my 1200 had some heavy pitting there and a layer of rust on the rim butt weld - when I cleaned that off, there a big crack in the weld. New wheel....

The following users liked this post:
red sport. (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 10:58 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Next time you change the tire, be sure to pull the rub strip and check the inside spoke heads, where they usually rust the worst; water wicks into them. The stock rim on my 1200 had some heavy pitting there and a layer of rust on the rim butt weld - when I cleaned that off, there a big crack in the weld. New wheel....
Thanks for the advice. Right now I am not too concerned as it was only surface rust...there were no indication of rust near or on the spokes and nipples. I do keep my wheels clean and wipe them down after I ride....but I am on an island surrounded by salt water so rust is inevitable unless you keep at it as I am doing....just get lazy now and then.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?