Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:45 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Today I cleaned all the technicolor bugs off my bike... some I can't even get to, big yellow splotches in places where there's no way a bug could fly in and explode...

Then I was lookin at the bike and really wanted to ride with those bars again, so I took off and promptly got it all dirty again.

Encountered some weird folk today on the road. Was stuck behind a guy on a single lane mountain road. He was cool enough to put on his signal and move to the side to let me by. I gave a polite beep beep on my horn and off I went! I was hauling some butt, only to check my mirror and see that this same guy was driving the **** out of his car now to keep up with me. No idea what he was doing. Maybe he misinterpreted my polite honk, or he just wanted to see if he could keep up with a motorcycle.

Then later got stuck on a different single lane mountain road behind one of those Oh-look-a-motorcycle-is-behind-me-so-now-I'm-going-to-try-and-drive-really-fast guys. So that was a fun 15 minutes of watching this person try to destroy their car while I cruised along behind them. The last guy that did this to me was in a BMW and broke something, because half-way up the mountain I started to smell rotten eggs coming from his car.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:42 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Bought some forwards for it. They should be winging it here from Van Nuys CA as we speak!

Old 03-27-2016, 07:06 AM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
Bought some forwards for it. They should be winging it here from Van Nuys CA as we speak!
You're going to love the forwards... Just did mine recently and now the bike feels how it should.

The following users liked this post:
Mr_Taipan (03-28-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 AM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by Lifestarts@40
You're going to love the forwards... Just did mine recently and now the bike feels how it should.
I've always loved my mid controls, great for stop and go city riding, and for twisty mountain roads. But now that my bars are so much farther back and I'm in a more relaxed position, I can see why people like forwards. I'm putting my feet up on my highway pegs a lot now with my new bars.

Considering getting some myself. But I really DO still like my mid controls. Maybe I'll get those farther forward mid controls.

The following users liked this post:
Lifestarts@40 (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 09:31 AM
thisisagame24
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KerryS85
Dropped my front fender and pulled derby cover and oil tin to prep for some paint work. Got bike all back together and rode for couple hours then came home put it on the lift and started taking parts off again.

Hate that gap

Now that's better

Thinking about doing the trim same blue as my bike and the oil cap black. Or maybe taking trim off and putting some leather in its place and tooling it. Idk yet.
That front fender looks a lot better. Did you have to modify the bracket or did it have room for adjustment?

Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 AM
100thmonkey
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I cut about 2cm off my front fender mounts to get the Fender closer to the tyres and remove the ugly gap on the 883 Iron

Old 03-27-2016, 10:51 AM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
I cut about 2cm off my front fender mounts to get the Fender closer to the tyres and remove the ugly gap on the 883 Iron
You just expanded the holes a bit?

Old 03-27-2016, 10:52 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane M
I've always loved my mid controls, great for stop and go city riding, and for twisty mountain roads. But now that my bars are so much farther back and I'm in a more relaxed position, I can see why people like forwards. I'm putting my feet up on my highway pegs a lot now with my new bars.

Considering getting some myself. But I really DO still like my mid controls. Maybe I'll get those farther forward mid controls.
right. this is why i left my mids and added adjustable highway pegs on my sporty.

i did the opposite for my dyna because i don't really ride it around town due to how big and goofy it is. i did add mids to offer more control in tight turns/maneuvers AND UN-STRETCH MY LEGS!

the forward control thing is overrated! get up to 70+ and your feet will be getting pushed off the pegs by resistance. wears you out and you'll want to adjust/bend your legs.

i'd leave the mid mounts on with pegs and remove the control linkages

Old 03-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by cvaria
right. this is why i left my mids and added adjustable highway pegs on my sporty.

i did the opposite for my dyna because i don't really ride it around town due to how big and goofy it is. i did add mids to offer more control in tight turns/maneuvers AND UN-STRETCH MY LEGS!

the forward control thing is overrated! get up to 70+ and your feet will be getting pushed off the pegs by resistance. wears you out and you'll want to adjust/bend your legs.

i'd leave the mid mounts on with pegs and remove the control linkages
Oh for sure, I move my feet around so much I'd still need mid pegs at least. I probably won't end up doing anything. Now that my bars are so far back, once I get my passenger pegs on, I can sit on the passenger seat, feet on passenger pegs, and cruise that way when I get tired of the other positions.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:59 AM
100thmonkey
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane M
You just expanded the holes a bit?
No I cut it level with the existing holes and redialled fresh ones

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?