Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:58 PM
KerryS85
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another day wrenchin

Dropped my front fender and pulled derby cover and oil tin to prep for some paint work. Got bike all back together and rode for couple hours then came home put it on the lift and started taking parts off again.

Hate that gap

Now that's better

Thinking about doing the trim same blue as my bike and the oil cap black. Or maybe taking trim off and putting some leather in its place and tooling it. Idk yet.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:24 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by KerryS85
I remember back when I took my class they said if you had to emergency stop in a curve to straighten out and apply brakes. I tend to not drive fast anyway tho
lol yeah, nobody wants to be this guy (never stops being funny):

Last edited by cvaria; 03-21-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:08 PM
KerryS85
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cvaria
lol yeah, nobody wants to be this guy (never stops being funny):
Harley falls off a cliff at the Dragon in N.C. - YouTube
He musta been new lol. Wtf he had plenty of room. That's why you don't pass on a curve. "Just go just go they're gonna beat our ***" wtf lol

Old 03-21-2016, 08:01 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by KerryS85
He musta been new lol. Wtf he had plenty of room. That's why you don't pass on a curve. "Just go just go they're gonna beat our ***" wtf lol
the girls were funny and the "fkn idiots" guy was hilarious
especially not on the dragon. trucks, crotch rockets, and fast and the furious are flying around the corners. but watch it a few times and you'll see the guy who went off actually did the best he could to avoid a fall. he was committed to his line then straightened up to brake. the guy behind him was just following and had room to brake but still ended up cutting through the grass.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:08 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

you chucked your front turn signal bullets, right? pm me with a demand on price provided you didn't cut the wires. i need black bullet housings.

i don't powder coat/spray paint stuff like that in case i want to un-do it.
Pretty sure I cut mine to solder in the new signals. I'll check for you tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Bowen2021
I was not using my front brake. I was just making a turn and it dumped. Wasn't sure if the brake line being so tight that it could have locked up on its own when I made the left turn
Some people make the mistake of adjusting their brake cable with weight on the front wheel. It looks fine when weight is on it, but if you lift the front of the bike you might find that the forks can't extend fully because the brake line is tight. So some road conditions can cause your front end to pop up enough that the forks would have extended, but the brake line stops them. Recipe for disaster.

Was it a sloped turn? Uphill? Was it when you were early in your turn? Or were you accelerating out of your turn when it happened? Sorry you dumped your bike brotha. It's a shitty feeling.

the girls were funny and the "fkn idiots" guy was hilarious
especially not on the dragon. trucks, crotch rockets, and fast and the furious are flying around the corners. but watch it a few times and you'll see the guy who went off actually did the best he could to avoid a fall. he was committed to his line then straightened up to brake. the guy behind him was just following and had room to brake but still ended up cutting through the grass.
Saw that video a while back when I was studying how not to ride a motorcycle. So stupid. Someone could have been hauling *** in a sports car around the turn in the other direction and plowed into them. That guy should consider himself lucky that he just tumbled down a little grassy bank there.

Textbook "riding beyond your abilities"

Old 03-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Today I found out my throttle housing was only being held in place with 1 screw. Which meant my throttle lock kept disengaging when I tried to use it because the housing was loose. It turned out that all the weld epoxy had worn out of the hole I had tried to repair a while ago. So I did it right this time and used a heli coil.

I finally solidified my idea for what my tank is going to look like, so I dug it out of the garage and masked it off, sanded it down. Waiting on some paints now.

Name:  2zgkzaa.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  57.6 KB

Old 03-23-2016, 04:30 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Still waiting for my color-matched oil and battery covers.

Inquired directly with DNA Specialties to purchase a rear fat spoke wheel to match the front if they have one for a sporty ....otherwise, asked for a set of front and rear billet wheels. If no rear mammoth wheel, will probably sell the front fat spoke and get billet wheels (depending on price). I believe the guy is the owner of DNA, since others on the forum have said you can't buy direct from DNA. We will see what they say.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:06 AM
CanadianHD
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

new battery and Cycle Shack mufflers - have a listen...

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 10:16 AM
KerryS85
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CanadianHD
new battery and Cycle Shack mufflers - have a listen...

2005 Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster - Roadster Exhaust mods - YouTube

Is it cold where you are? If not you're burning too rich. Do you have a tune on it?

Old 03-23-2016, 10:18 AM
CanadianHD
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes I mentioned that in the video. Cold start. Choke on.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?