Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 06:19 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Installed my Custom Dynamics stuff. All 4 turn signals, taillight, load equalizer and the module to change flash patterns. All very easy but one of the turn signal modules is completely dead. Waiting to hear back from them

Old 02-19-2016, 06:34 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
Yeah. I know that's there. I just don't slather it on. I saw where you said you removed it all.

I used smoked covers all around when i converted to CD leds. Doesn't inhibit light at all.
hmm, yeah I cleaned it out with a clean rag.

I'm currently using these but red/black:

You can see how they don't shoot light in as many directions, especially to the sides, since the plastic is so deep set in there. I got these as replacements after I lost one of my stock ones and the local dealership wanted $50 for a new stock one. They look cool, but I put LED lights in there, so I want to maximize the light potential. The red is rather dark, so it is cutting down light intensity. So since the LED's are already red, I ordered some lightly smoked lenses, I think clear would look funky.

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Same here, but I used AutoGem real glass lenses front/rear...

T.
I like to have less flying bits of glass on my bike if possible. One of my rear lenses got knocked off when a prius side-swiped me. I hiked back up the road and found it all ****ed up, but I could still put it back in. It would have been broken if it was glass. Signal isn't quite round anymore, it's a trick to get the lens in right.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:41 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane M
hmm, yeah I cleaned it out with a clean rag.

I'm currently using these but red/black:

You can see how they don't shoot light in as many directions, especially to the sides, since the plastic is so deep set in there. I got these as replacements after I lost one of my stock ones and the local dealership wanted $50 for a new stock one. They look cool, but I put LED lights in there, so I want to maximize the light potential. The red is rather dark, so it is cutting down light intensity. So since the LED's are already red, I ordered some lightly smoked lenses, I think clear would look funky.

I like to have less flying bits of glass on my bike if possible. One of my rear lenses got knocked off when a prius side-swiped me. I hiked back up the road and found it all ****ed up, but I could still put it back in. It would have been broken if it was glass. Signal isn't quite round anymore, it's a trick to get the lens in right.
Lens are cheap and can be replaced....you are lucky the prius did not side-swipe "you' or you would have been found on the road instead of the lens.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:54 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Installed my Custom Dynamics stuff. All 4 turn signals, taillight, load equalizer and the module to change flash patterns. All very easy but one of the turn signal modules is completely dead. Waiting to hear back from them
They're super cool. They got back to me right away with my front 360 degree signals and they sent me a replacement module right away.

Originally Posted by hscic
Lens are cheap and can be replaced....you are lucky the prius did not side-swipe "you' or you would have been found on the road instead of the lens.
No kiddin. It just further confirmed my suspicions about Prius drivers. Something about the car design or the people they market to... They always try to kill me. Had one move across FOUR lanes on the freeway and run me off onto the shoulder just so they could catch the exit. The driver's excuse: "I had my turn signal on!"

I give all prius a wide berth now so they can do as many stupid things as they please. Seriously, keep an eye on them.... in a surprisingly short amount of time they all do something ridiculously dangerous.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:57 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dane M
They're super cool. They got back to me right away with my front 360 degree signals and they sent me a replacement module right away.
Yea, I don't expect any issues. System works with one regular bulb and I likely can't ride this weekend anyway. Too much salt still on roads for my comfort.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:03 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

OK, not so simple. Tested with battery and it lit up fine. Problem seems to be on my end. Don't understand why bulb works but LED doesn't but either LED works on the other side. Ideas? Already cleaned socket, no help.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by KingDevil13
Not a big deal but since it's the first day it's warm out I took out the bike and while riding I decided definitely no windshield. So took off the windshield, took of the sissy bar, threw the screaming eagle plate back on, and turned the handle bars up a bit. More to come later
She looks good. Great to hear you got to go out for a ride. Was it great?

Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 PM
mercman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After using the official wiring schemo in my service manual, which sort of matched some of the wires that were left. I managed to get an actual ignition switch and even some indicator lights. Got the new tank and rebuilt carb installed. Mental note check the bar clearance after you install the rear tank bolt...oh well it was just a base coat. Took my first official test drive...

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-img_20160126_170747.jpg   What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-img_20160219_182756.jpg   What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-vlcsnap-2016-01-15-23h01m57s545.png   What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-img_20160219_182734.jpg  
Old 02-19-2016, 10:32 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kingxirol
Nice. I am on the fence of getting my tins powder-quoted so I will be surely interested in seeing the final product when you get them back and mount on the bike.
Once I get the pieces I will post some pictures to include assembly.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
OK, not so simple. Tested with battery and it lit up fine. Problem seems to be on my end. Don't understand why bulb works but LED doesn't but either LED works on the other side. Ideas? Already cleaned socket, no help.
They're all bullet inserts? It does say in their instructions if it doesn't work, try using one of the other LEDs in it. Swap one of the other LEDs in and see what happens. Which side is it by the way?

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?