Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 11:07 PM
Bryan83taco
Tourer

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Nice pipes. Are they a lot louder than the Short Shots (which baffle were you running in the SS?)?

I understand there's an adjustable baffle type thing in the Patriots. Are you running it open, closed, or somewhere in between? Did Jamie at FuelMoto do the tune for you or someone else?

Was the install straight forward?

Sorry for all the questions but inquiring minds and all that.....
No problem man. They a little quieter than the short shots. I wasn't running any baffles on them. The sound is not as high pitched. Right now I am running it open. I got my PV from DK Customs which comes with free tunes whenever you need them. I am assuming they get their tunes from Fuelmoto. Install was easy, I picked them up on craigslist from another forum member. Pipes are SO much better than the short shots, feels like a new bike with my low end torque back.

Originally Posted by cvaria
that's good simple paint. i'm so sick of seeing cliche yellow/gold tanks with oddball mishmashes of rubbish. KISS method!

this tank is undeniably awesome because it's ridiculously cool (cig & beer holder), but i'm more talking about the actual paint style that is proliferating on every freaking custom tank.
Thanks man, my buddy did the work. He killed it. Here's another pic

Name:  Aviary%20Photo_130791477706659299_zpsrfnbhtbr.png
Views: 176
Size:  415.2 KB

Old 02-05-2016, 11:42 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan83taco
Yeah you loose a lot of the high decibel sounds that the short shots give you. Biggest difference is the low end torque is back.
Uh? You mean you lost low end torque with SS and a PV tuner. Did you try TTIs? Did Jamie tweak your tune to compensate for the loss in low end torque? I hear so many good things about the SS....makes me wonder now.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:24 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
The coil "bracket" is from a 72(welded on a tab for the coil).
The wires are Taylor '409' wires 'ready to run' from DK Customs.
Forgot to say, I'm thinking of switching the coil/ign. switch around to look similar to Fred Phuket's
Sportster (on XLForum)

Last edited by WKNDS; 02-06-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I would love to hide my wires the way he did.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:02 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Refitted my nose fairing and then took out the baffles and w118 TTIs and fitted the w158s with no baffles.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:16 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

No problem man. They a little quieter than the short shots. I wasn't running any baffles on them. The sound is not as high pitched. Right now I am running it open. I got my PV from DK Customs which comes with free tunes whenever you need them. I am assuming they get their tunes from Fuelmoto. Install was easy, I picked them up on craigslist from another forum member. Pipes are SO much better than the short shots, feels like a new bike with my low end torque back.
Thanks. I have Big City Thunder baffles in my SS, like the sound but do feel torque is not what it should be. The Patriot pipes look good, although I expect they'll color change fairly quickly due to the heat and are very affordable. Definitely considering getting some; could certainly eBay may SS if I like the Patriots.

No issues with the brake pedal hitting the pipes I assume? Saw something about that on their site.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:30 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 983 Posts

Thanks. I have Big City Thunder baffles in my SS, like the sound but do feel torque is not what it should be. The Patriot pipes look good, although I expect they'll color change fairly quickly due to the heat and are very affordable. Definitely considering getting some; could certainly eBay may SS if I like the Patriots.
No issues with the brake pedal hitting the pipes I assume? Saw something about that on their site.

I read somewhere (maybe Hammer Perf?), that the Short Shots are some
of the "weaker" style pipes - althought they seem to extreemly popular with
Sportsters. I guess its the looks...

I believe the hands down winner for all-out performance is the Defender, so
if you get it, you'll have first hand knowlege of any gains.

Let us know when you get 'em installed.

T.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:54 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by WKNDS
I read somewhere (maybe Hammer Perf?), that the Short Shots are some
of the "weaker" style pipes - althought they seem to extreemly popular with
Sportsters. I guess its the looks...

I believe the hands down winner for all-out performance is the Defender, so
if you get it, you'll have first hand knowlege of any gains.

Let us know when you get 'em installed.

T.
Yea, they, the SS, ARE good looking pipes. I'll be doing more research.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:16 AM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

OK, last question... On the Patriot site they show SS, Black, and black with Chrome heat shields on downpipes only. Yours appear to be either SS with black heat shields on downpipes or black with a chrome shield on the collector part (which they don't show). Confused a bit...

Old 02-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Bryan83taco
Tourer

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

OK, last question... On the Patriot site they show SS, Black, and black with Chrome heat shields on downpipes only. Yours appear to be either SS with black heat shields on downpipes or black with a chrome shield on the collector part (which they don't show). Confused a bit...
Short shots look cool but they are severely under performing pipes. Previous owner sprayed the heat shields black with high temp paint (I picked these up used on clist from another forum member). Came out great. No problems with the brake hitting the pipes.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?