Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 05:13 PM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks Great

Last edited by Outtakes; 08-19-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:30 PM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Last edited by Outtakes; 08-19-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:44 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ GMRO: check out this thread from here. Wachuko list a bunch of different air shock part numbers that can be used on our bikes. More than likely you have 11" spring shocks and if you switch over to air shocks you'll be bumping up to either 12" or 13" shocks and depending on your height might want to do lowering blocks like I did. Good luck if you do the switch. It seriously can take as little as 15-30 minutes to change out the shocks if you have all the needed tools and parts.

Originally Posted by GMRO
So to the air shock guru’s…

My 2013 XL1200C sure could use some rear shock help.

Can you guys direct me into options? Like what model RK, SG, UC OEM air shock may fit? I know nothing about the lengths but my bike is stock XL1200C height. Ride is pretty rough I’d say. Bike is really about 95% enjoyable.

If I could get the bumps smoothed out, sure I get it won’t be as good as my UC2006, but man I’d be stoked. Our PA roads are pretty whack!!! I’d enjoy the bike more for sure if the ride smoothed out and it didn’t break the bank on the Sportie!

THANK YOU!

Old 08-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Staggie
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 11 Posts

Picked up a Harley branded crashbar with highway pegs for $75 on Craigslist which my wife was wanting on her Sportster. Then picked up a set of HD leather saddlebags with mounts for $275. Just need to mount tonight. Wife is now happy.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:29 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I recently added a solo seat and knowing I wanted to get a swing arm bag and mounting hardware for it in the near future (i.e. when I have the $'s), I decided I wanted to remove the passenger foot pegs. I can say with 100% assurance that I will never be riding with a passenger so there was no need for them. Well the left side came off without any difficulty but the right side...not so easy. As many of you know you have to remove the mufflers and with my bike even the exhaust to remove the foot peg bracket, put a new bracket in place and reattach the rear brake master cylinder. Now, I'm no mechanic but I really want to do as much work on this bike myself, as possible. So I bought the manual, sought some advice on here and went to it.

I won't say it came apart easy but I got it apart. Then when reattaching the exhaust I dropped a bolt. Not hearing it hit the concrete of the garage floor I knew I was in trouble. I went over it with a flash light, moved it back and forth...nothing. So I went to bed last night with a bike in pieces in my garage. Today I went out, bought another set of gaskets, a new bolt (plus a couple spares) and went to work putting it back together. There were a few missteps. I ended up doing some things two and three times until I got it right (amazing how well things fit when they are on right) but in the end, I got everything back together.

I have taken it for a ride and everything seems okay. When it was cold and I just started accelerating it seemed to hesitate and made a few odd popping noises but that all smoothed out so I'll try it again cold tomorrow morning and see if it's all good. Other than those first few hiccups, I went for a short drive, got gas and came home.

I'm not sure it was worth all that work to remove a passenger peg but it was worth it on a much different level because I got to learn a lot more about my bike. I also now think l could install my own exhaust if I ever upgrade which isn't something I would have thought I could do before this.

I want to be one of those people who can say, "I did it myself" when people see my bike. At least for now I can.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Today I removed my upper belt guard... because it snapped. I'm not sure how, maybe from a hard bump? Anyways.... so you can see the spot where it mounts behind the suspension is.... missing. I noticed because when I parked my bike, and turned my bars to the left it made a super loud clanging noise.

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-y34wv0w.jpg

So I bought another one from ebay for $20, because I'm going to need it for some sidebags I'm going to put on.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:40 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

New Willie G shifter linkage. Little bit of a nightmare getting the old one off. had to drill and EZ out the front allen bolt.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-shifter-009.jpg  
Old 08-21-2015, 02:40 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,200 Likes on 2,441 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog85
Thanks to a fellow member ‘Wavy48’ I was able to put on some RK shocks part no. 54565-97B over the weekend. He included a 1” lowering block which helped out since I’m only 5’5” but I still ordered DK’s 1.75” lowering blocks because of the height change and I want my feet to be more flat on the ground instead of being on my toes. As of right now I have them at 0 PSI and took them out for about a 1.5 hr. ride on side streets and the highway and man oh man what a difference good difference of course. I might be bumping them up to 5 PSI being that I’m 195 lbs. and I think it’s suggested that they be at 5 PSI for 200 lbs. and above I'll see if that gives me even a smoother ride.
As little as 2 PSI changes can make a significant difference in ride quality. I always take the time to experiment with the entire range of PSI (in 2# increments) to see what gives the best ride. (because of valving, sometimes a higher PSI can give a smoother ride)

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Staggie
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 11 Posts

Got around to installing the HD Spostster saddlebags I picked up from Craigslist for $275. Forgot to install the sissybar and luggage rack back on. I'll take care of that when I reinstall the turn signals.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:25 AM
big_malibu
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently i installed RSD Enzo 2up seat to my iron. Here is the details

From the back

Side wiew

you can see the gap

nice RSD logo and Rough Crafts Seat Screw

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?