Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 03:00 PM
SimonR
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 56 Posts

Slowly getting there ......
Iternally wired bars (indicators are moving so wires left)
Replacement timing cover
Drag Pipes

Simon

The following users liked this post:
firehawk6 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 03:07 PM
Cyclone14
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

hello Simon,
Nice looking bike you have there! Very nice Classic Style and color. I'd like to send you a pic of my build when it's done.
I too have read this (no lube on teflon cable) in multiple places in recent years. If I'm not mistaken even the Venhill website recommends no lube.
I'm in my 60s and I've been lubing teflon cables since I first installed them on my dirt bikes in the late 1970's / early 1980's (memory is a little hazy...) and I will continue to do so. For whatever it is worth I do not use petroleum based lubricant on teflon.
Super Lube is a silicone oil.

P.S. I build bicycles too and I use high end $$ teflon lined shifter cables for the sensitive modern 12 speed indexed rear derailleurs and they definitely work better with silicone oil in place. It's much easier to feel this on these delicate short travel cables than on something relatively big, crude and heavy like a Sporty's clutch. I can add that I clean, flush and re-lube control cables on a regular basis on both my motorcycles and bicycles so I can't comment on what the effects of "lube it and forget it" are going to be in the long term nor can I comment on the effects of petroleum based lubricants on teflon cables.

Last edited by Cyclone14; 05-16-2024 at 03:22 PM.
SimonR (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 03:10 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Nice looking ride SimonR! How do you like the seat? I was looking at that but decided on the Aviator for my Custom. To polish up the case, might I suggest Flitz metal polish.

Old 05-16-2024, 03:24 PM
SimonR
Tourer

Originally Posted by RKZen
Nice looking ride SimonR! How do you like the seat? I was looking at that but decided on the Aviator for my Custom. To polish up the case, might I suggest Flitz metal polish.
In the short time I've ridden it the seat seems very hard but is pretty comfy for the 80-100 miles I seem to do at one go and seemed to fit my idea for the bike .... but it certainly is looks over comfort

Yep the cases have been neglected !! I'll look into the Flitz - Thanks

Old 05-16-2024, 03:26 PM
SimonR
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cyclone14
hello Simon,
Nice looking bike you have there! Very nice Classic Style and color. I'd like to send you a pic of my build when it's done.
I too have read this (no lube on teflon cable) in multiple places in recent years. If I'm not mistaken even the Venhill website recommends no lube.
I'm in my 60s and I've been lubing teflon cables since I first installed them on my dirt bikes in the late 1970's / early 1980's (memory is a little hazy...) and I will continue to do so. For whatever it is worth I do not use petroleum based lubricant on teflon.
Super Lube is a silicone oil.

P.S. I build bicycles too and I use high end $$ teflon lined shifter cables for the sensitive modern 12 speed indexed rear derailleurs and they definitely work better with silicone oil in place. It's much easier to feel this on these delicate short travel cables than on something relatively big, crude and heavy like a Sporty's clutch. I can add that I clean, flush and re-lube control cables on a regular basis on both my motorcycles and bicycles so I can't comment on what the effects of "lube it and forget it" are going to be in the long term nor can I comment on the effects of petroleum based lubricants on teflon cables.
Good to hear from someone who has done it this way for years - it is probably the "no petroleum" base that is the winner

Old 05-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Cyclone14
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Simon,
For your alloy cases start with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and then follow up with the Flitz.
It will shorten the process and save your arms/wrists and you will still be able to lift a full pint with either hand when you are done.

SimonR (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,079 Likes on 613 Posts

I took delivery of the Iron 883's new pair of boots, Avon Cobra Chrome, AV91 100/90-19 for the front and AV92 150/80B-16 for the rear. Just have to get them fitted now.

SimonR (05-16-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 09:48 PM
LordSargon
Tourer
Received 115 Likes on 68 Posts

Replaced motor mounts for the second time. First was around 25k miles, 48k now.

First set I blame myself. In ignorance, I let too much oil pour over during changes.
I wound up getting aftermarket, thinking they'd be better than HD oem (drag specialties, if I recall)
Went super careful during oil changes, not a drop touching, immediate soap wash if it did.

Sure as hell, these mounts also failed & started splitting apart. Even the original OEM look intact, just vibrated too much. Had to dremel the right side mount bushing to get it out. New mount went in pretty easy.
Went back to OEM, bike feels smoother than ever.

The following 3 users liked this post by LordSargon:
BlueridgeXL (05-19-2024), Rob Roy's Revenge (05-18-2024), WKNDS (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 05:27 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,580 Likes on 3,286 Posts

Got the red 1200 out and rode around 120 miles this afternoon. Tomorrow it will be the blue 883's turn as there is supposed to be fantastic riding weather thru Monday, sunny and temps in the mid 80's F.

Seeing I don't work on Monday's anymore, I've got two days to rack up some mileage, and I intend to do so. Well, at least God willing and the creek don't rise...

BlueridgeXL (05-19-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 11:07 PM
someguitarguy
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Some Good; Some Bad (ie rant)

So I scrambled yesterday evening to get my bike back from the shop. I haven't had "Lilith" long (2002 883R possibly converted to 1200) and I left a long laundry list for the mechanic. In the meantime I've ordered (and received) a few goodies and am anxious to install them and RIDE. Btw an 02-03 R is and has been my dream bike. The Hugger was my pacifier.

The shop was to:
  • Install new tires of proper size (PO basically tried to convert it to a Hugger with lowering shocks, smaller front tire (unsure on rear), and a horrible thin solo saddle)
  • Install OEM shocks (from ebay)
  • Fix front brake (I already flushed both and tried everything but couldn't get the air out of the front)
  • Fix the carb overflow issue
  • Fix the speedo (needle/odometer dead)
  • Adjust/fix throttle cables (tons of play)
  • Fix the damned tail light gremlin (same issue with Hugger)
  • Change primary lube, adjust chain, adjust clutch, fix primary leak at drain
  • New grips
  • Tune carb as it was a bit rich
I already installed an original saddle I found on eBay. The combination of the lowering shocks, solo saddle, and the shorter front tire made it ride like a wagon and try to follow even the smallest pavement irregularity. The OEM saddle helped some with the ride but was really excited to see how she rode with all the new stuff.

Took them about 2 weeks to finish everything. Talked with the owner a couple of times during her stay. First of all, he doesn't believe it's a 1200 because it rides/performs like an 883. It seems noticeably stronger than my Hugger, but who knows? He also said while tuning the carb, it wouldn't take 1200 jets. She did have a noticeable "bog" at WOT. So he worked progressively down in jet size.

The Good:

She's probably 2 inches taller between the seat, shocks, and tires and rides like a totally different bike. Tall, proud, and doesn't wander at all. And doesn't loosen your fillings! Also...hard to really say why, but she just LOOKS better. The tail light works. New bulb, which I already tried. Go figure. New grips are great. Carb overflow was the float set too high.

The Bad:

Runs like crap, even fully warm. Coughs and spits as if cold and never seems to be able to clear her throat. WOT bog is still there, but noticeably reduced. Speedo still inop. Primary still leaks from drain. Front brake is better and even perfect at times. Other times the lever goes almost to the bar before any braking.

Finally, took her out after work for a test ride for about an hour, finishing with 10-15 miles on a controlled access highway. Probably rode 30-35 miles total. Got home and started poking around. The locknut on a throttle cable was loose and backed out. Took the breather off looking for the idle mix screw and thought something looked funny. The damned filter was flipped around the wrong way! Kept poking around with a flashlight and saw the bowl looked wet. Gas. And a missing bowl screw! Oh, and they ran the throttle cables forward so they stick way out in front of the headlight!

After the ride, met my son for dinner. Walked out to show her off and found the primary is still leaking.

I'll be calling the shop Monday and returning her for all of these issues.

Sorry. Rant=off

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?