Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:55 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by GMRO
What year is your Sportie? My 13' has those offset mounts too and it limits what pegs you can get.

BUT is there a safety reason for what they did from the factory?

Can you give me P/N's for what you purchased from HD to make this conversion?

THANKS! LOOKS SUPER!
There seems to be no reason I can find to why HD did the stupid offset clevis. I have a 14 Custom CB
I did think about grinding them but went with the replacement route.
The parts I used were Drag Specialities off eBay and can now use whatever pegs I want

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drag-Special...f8d92c&vxp=mtr

Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I ran Autotune on the PV about 6 times over the past two days (trying to bring the heat down a bit.) Aaron at Hammer performance gave me some ideas to start rich and work into a good tune. It seems to be working a little at a time.

The bike runs great though, other than it running a bit hot at the head temps.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:16 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
I ran Autotune on the PV about 6 times over the past two days (trying to bring the heat down a bit.) Aaron at Hammer performance gave me some ideas to start rich and work into a good tune. It seems to be working a little at a time.

The bike runs great though, other than it running a bit hot at the head temps.
PV is good stuff....what kind of temps are your running?

Old 07-14-2015, 11:49 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hscic
PV is good stuff....what kind of temps are your running?
I'm getting up to 420 at the rear head sensor. The 1250 kit just seems to run hot. It needs a few more tunes. I'm changing pipes to a D&D Bobcat in a week or so. I'm hoping proper back pressure makes a difference.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:43 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by SLV
I'm getting up to 420 at the rear head sensor. The 1250 kit just seems to run hot. It needs a few more tunes. I'm changing pipes to a D&D Bobcat in a week or so. I'm hoping proper back pressure makes a difference.
420 is up there but not unusual. I run 360-410 depending on conditions. I've gone up to 430+ in slow stop and go traffic. Hopefully you can eliminate reversion with your Bobcats. Good luck and have fun with it. Ride safe.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

420 is up there but not unusual. I run 360-410 depending on conditions. I've gone up to 430+ in slow stop and go traffic. Hopefully you can eliminate reversion with your Bobcats. Good luck and have fun with it. Ride safe.

Thanks.

Good info too. Nobody seems to know a high limit for rear head temps. The PV manual suggests 410, the Dakota Digital has a standard Sportster setting of 420. FM and Hammer don't answer the question directly, only "heat is bad".

Anyway, I'm just going to keep tuning it until it doesn't change much. With fine tuning and the 2-1 pipe, I'm thinking I'll gain a little bit in my quest for cooling.

Oddly, oil temps hover right at 220-230 which is perfectly normal.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:47 PM
JimmySportster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster progress

Before. Hated the 18" ape hangers, hated the dual gauge cluster between the bars. Hated the stock wheels and the chrome suspension.

First I swappe the bars out for a set of Roland Sands 12" vintage apes, relocated the speedo next to the tank with DK customs mount, today put the new progressive suspension on, still lowering the rear fender a bit. New DNA mammoth wheels on, and new single disc front end being powder coated black. Front end will be done tomorrow.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:37 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimmySportster

Before. Hated the 18" ape hangers, hated the dual gauge cluster between the bars. Hated the stock wheels and the chrome suspension.

First I swappe the bars out for a set of Roland Sands 12" vintage apes, relocated the speedo next to the tank with DK customs mount, today put the new progressive suspension on, still lowering the rear fender a bit. New DNA mammoth wheels on, and new single disc front end being powder coated black. Front end will be done tomorrow.
Nice looking wheels....of course, I am bias...lol.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:26 AM
JimmySportster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking wheels....of course, I am bias...lol.
Thanks!! Part of me was a little skeptical on ordering them just because of some stories I read about leaking nipples, but I decided I would take the chance on this American company! Hopefully you're one of the many satisfied customers on these great looking wheels

Old 07-15-2015, 07:04 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmySportster
Thanks!! Part of me was a little skeptical on ordering them just because of some stories I read about leaking nipples, but I decided I would take the chance on this American company! Hopefully you're one of the many satisfied customers on these great looking wheels
JS,

Tough looking bike! Really like the speedo location. And the wheels are KEWL too!

I just completed the stage 1 and PV MAP upload last night on my Sportie. Rode to work today...and it don't feel like my bike. Much more power and SMOOTH. Yea...bike actually feels smoother at the various rpms. Guess a good MAP/FUEL mix actually makes the difference. Not that my bike ran bad before but I can feel a difference already. Seems to pull the twisties better in higher gear than before etc. Planning a few autotune sessions in the next few days to see if I can get it even better. For now I'm sold!!!

Next up is the PV MAP upload to my UC. HOPING that it feels as good as my Sportie did this AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?