Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 01:56 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,991 Likes on 2,548 Posts

That seems odd. Having not done it or seen anyone do it I can't help as to what might be wrong.

Old 01-01-2023, 01:58 PM
KurtV
Novice
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Installed a new set of Progressive 412s on my 2004 XL 1200 Roadster.

The following 2 users liked this post by KurtV:
BruceHarrisJr (01-01-2023), Rob Roy's Revenge (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 02:53 PM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,079 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Personally, I like bigger lights on the rear. No way do I want some yahoo slamming into me because he couldn't see my tail lights. My brother almost died many years ago because he modded his tail lights on his triump. Sure enough was rear ended on the freeway at high speed, while on a test run, no less.
I was shunted (rear ended) in 2012 when I was on my XL883N at a red traffic light, the car driver claimed that the sun was just above the horizon and he couldn't see my motorcycle in front of him. I didn't drop my Iron as it was a low speed collision, the plastic licence mounting plate bracket was cracked, so I bought a replacement one on fleabay. After that I installed additional LED lighting front and rear to make myself as visible as possible to other road users.

UK law dictates that we have to display a licence plate the size of a barn door, the reflectors either side of the licence plate are also LED turn signals to aid side visibility.

The following users liked this post:
Packgrog (01-03-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 04:30 PM
Danxtian
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
That seems odd. Having not done it or seen anyone do it I can't help as to what might be wrong.
odd yess, but imma leave it as it is right now until next weekend where i have more free time again.. but other than the hyper-flashing indicator, lights work fine and ill keep an eye on them on the go as well

Old 01-01-2023, 05:15 PM
99-883xlc
Cruiser
Received 321 Likes on 131 Posts

Tested out the new bars and grips

The following users liked this post:
bufbills (01-02-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 05:54 PM
BruceHarrisJr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan to do the same thing later this week on my 2009 XL 833. Any suggestions to make it go somewhat easy? BTW; what year and model BMW is parked behind your sportster?

Old 01-01-2023, 06:48 PM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team
Received 736 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Personally, I like bigger lights on the rear. No way do I want some yahoo slamming into me because he couldn't see my tail lights.
With LEDs now you can have tiny lighta that are very bright. I put a set of Joker Machine rat eyes on my bike. The whole blinker is the size of a pool cue chalk but they are very bright and can be setup in the run/blinker/brake configuration. I also think it's important to keep the lights up towards normal bumper level where people expect them and not down low on the swingarm with the license plate like many do.

Old 01-02-2023, 02:50 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,991 Likes on 2,548 Posts

The lights are bright but they are just a dot. They might be fine as a turn signal but as discussed as a brake light with you sat still will people actually recognise them as such and see you?

I wonder sometimes if it is not confusing with your Irons to have a red flashing light one side and a solid red light the other when indicating and braking at the same time.

Over here we have to have solid red lights for braking and separate amber lights for indicators.

The Customs and SuperLows have a great big red light slap bang in the middle of the mudguard that is easy to see.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 01-02-2023 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:13 AM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team
Received 736 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
The lights are bright but they are just a dot. They might be fine as a turn signal but as discussed as a brake light with you sat still will people actually recognise them as such and see you?

I wonder sometimes if it is not confusing with your Irons to have a red flashing light one side and a solid red light the other when indicating and braking at the same time.
They go from very bright to extremely bright when the brakes are applied so there is no mistaking it but I see your point and have thought about it in the past. The big thing here is getting rear ended at signals/intersections from people distracted. I live in California and we are allowed to split lanes, so I always go to the front of the line between cars at lights. The easiest way to not get rear ended is to not sit at the back of the line and not be directly in front of, or behind, another car if possible.

Last edited by OCSpringer; 01-02-2023 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:44 AM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,079 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by OCSpringer
They go from very bright to extremely bright when the brakes are applied so there is no mistaking it but I see your point and have thought about it in the past. The big thing here is getting rear ended at signals/intersections from people distracted. I live in California and we are allowed to split lanes, so I always go to the front of the line between cars at lights. The easiest way to not get rear ended is to not sit at the back of the line and not be directly in front of, or behind, another car if possible.
When I was rear ended, my motorcycle was the only vehicle stopped in my lane at the traffic lights, the car driver blamed the setting sun being just above the horizon temporarily blinding him before the collision. That could be true as I was facing in a westwardly direction and the sun was starting to set at that time.

​​​​​​​It happened at around 17:30 in mid October, the low setting sun can be very strong during the fall. Unfortunately for me, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?