Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 02:22 PM
Joe123
Advanced
Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Installed a Viking swing arm bag…

Need nimble fingers for this install…

Old 10-29-2021, 03:03 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe123
Need nimble fingers for this install…
Nimble fingers needed because of lack of space for attachment straps ?
I assume the bag mounts to the actual swingarm and
not a frame then ?

thanks for any clarification,

T.

The following users liked this post:
kre84u (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 04:27 PM
kre84u
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
not a frame then ?

T.
My experience with these bags recently is that there's no consistency in where the, usually, three straps are placed on the back of the bag. Manufacturers are trying to serve too many bikers with too few products. A bag for a Sportster would not ideally fit a Softtail or a Dyna. But manufacturers give us a one-size fits all approach.

There's no way I've found to mount a swingarm bag snugly within the natural triangle of the frame, shock and swingarm. You can find attachment points, but no matter how much you tighten them, the bag hangs loosely, out from the side of the bike. YMMV.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:47 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by kre84u
My experience with these bags recently is that there's no consistency in where the, usually, three straps are placed on the back of the bag. Manufacturers are trying to serve too many bikers with too few products. A bag for a Sportster would not ideally fit a Softtail or a Dyna. But manufacturers give us a one-size fits all approach.

There's no way I've found to mount a swingarm bag snugly within the natural triangle of the frame, shock and swingarm. You can find attachment points, but no matter how much you tighten them, the bag hangs loosely, out from the side of the bike. YMMV.
I hear what you're saying, but I was just wondering what the OP was using... FWIW,
I wouldn't add weight to the swingarm (via a bag) and it would move with the swingarm.

I would recommend a 'frame' or other 'standoff' type mount... This 'frame' (from Germany)
is what I chose to use to mount my LaRossa 'swingarm' bag. There is no 'movement' or rubbing
with swingarm movement....

T.

The following 2 users liked this post by WKNDS:
iBloke (10-31-2021), kre84u (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 04:50 PM
kre84u
Tourer

I hear what you're saying, but I was just wondering what the OP was using... FWIW,
I wouldn't add weight to the swingarm (via a bag) and it would move with the swingarm.

I would recommend a 'frame' or other 'standoff' type mount... This 'frame' (from Germany)
is what I chose to use to mount my LaRossa 'swingarm' bag. There is no 'movement' or rubbing
with swingarm movement....

T.
Interesting. Does it mount with only two points?

Old 10-29-2021, 04:53 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by kre84u
Interesting. Does it mount with only two points?
Yes, it's the same two large bolts that are used with the passenger pegs. I do not
ever have a passenger so this is not a problem for me.....

hth,

T.

kre84u (10-30-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 08:50 PM
Acedoc
Tourer
Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts

Funny how things work out ! Indian regs make the Harleys sold here have a garment protector on the side. While I removed the larger one , the smaller was not removed as it would take too much time and was not so noticeable.

WKNDS post made me realise that I had mounted my swing arm bag to this exact frame this inadvertently using an offending piece of hardware as a sacrificial member (with the potential of the leather marring the finish of the swing arm).

Last edited by Acedoc; 10-29-2021 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:30 PM
Joe123
Advanced
Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts

not a frame then ?

T.
No, it DOES mount to the frame. There are three straps, two on top and one on the bottom right. The two up top strap to the frame, the bottom, on the swing arm.

I say "nimble" because the locking buckles are inside the bag. There are two slits for each of the three straps, you feed one strap through the top strap, around the frame bar, then
back into the lower slit (same goes for the swingarm). Then, inside the bag you run the strap through the locking buckle, pull it tight, then close the buckle lock piece (not sure what it's
technically called). That's where you fumble a lot because there's not a lot of room for moving maneuvering around two hands in the bag. Now, I bet if you installed 10 of these, you'd
probably do it fast, but I fumbled around with it a bit; patience pays off here.

It's pretty solid when you close the buckle while pulling on the strap tightly, do that to all three and it's really snug. There's very little play at all. After riding about 50 miles with it,
I'm confident putting things in it.

bamba1260 (12-23-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 09:40 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Acedoc
Funny how things work out ! Indian regs make the Harleys sold here have a garment protector on the side. While I removed the larger one , the smaller was not removed as it would take too much time and was not so noticeable.
...snip......

...snip...
I think HD refers to those as 'sari guard'. I assume alot of women ride on the back, so
these are intended to keep the sari out of the belt/sprocket (also assuming they're on both sides).

I would appreciate any extra insight, just curious....

T.

kre84u (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 09:42 AM
kre84u
Tourer

Originally Posted by Joe123
No, it DOES mount to the frame. There are three straps, two on top and one on the bottom right. The two up top strap to the frame, the bottom, on the swing arm.

...Then, inside the bag you run the strap through the locking buckle, pull it tight, then close the buckle lock piece (not sure what it's
technically called). That's where you fumble a lot because there's not a lot of room for moving maneuvering around two hands in the bag.

It's pretty solid when you close the buckle while pulling on the strap tightly, do that to all three and it's really snug. There's very little play at all. After riding about 50 miles with it,
I'm confident putting things in it.
I found it was easier to put the buckles outside of the bag, rather than inside. The slits are too close together.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?