Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 03:52 PM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Try looking for foot pegs that are rubber mounted. Am sure somebody makes em.
Thus far can't seem to find anything, though I do wonder if some kind of polyurethane washer between the metal pieces of the footpeg points MIGHT help a little? I do thing that the pegs do screw directly into the frame, though, so vibrations would still travel directly through the bolt section. As long and there is direct metal-to-metal contact, the pegs are likely to vibrate just as much. Dunno. Worth a try at least, I suppose.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:14 PM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4,899 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Packgrog
Thus far can't seem to find anything, though I do wonder if some kind of polyurethane washer between the metal pieces of the footpeg points MIGHT help a little? I do thing that the pegs do screw directly into the frame, though, so vibrations would still travel directly through the bolt section. As long and there is direct metal-to-metal contact, the pegs are likely to vibrate just as much. Dunno. Worth a try at least, I suppose.
Maybe just thick rubbered pegs can help? If you have basic round rubber pegs, try to pull on the piece of soft polyurethane hose on your footpegs, just to check does it help.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:26 PM
ClinicallyEd
Intermediate
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Visited my Alma mater 🤙

The following 2 users liked this post by ClinicallyEd:
1Dyna03 (07-17-2021), Marsikus (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:50 PM
JuddS
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cacomly
I added 16,800 miles to to the odometer of my 2006 Sporty in the past weeks ...
How did you put that many miles on the bike? What routes?

Old 07-17-2021, 02:06 PM
1Dyna03
Tourer
Received 176 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Dyna03
I know that removing a crossover tube can stir much controversy, however I had a curiosity and it cant hurt, and it can always be changed back.. The 09 XL 1200 came back from my harley tech friend, FP3 tuned with Cycle Shack Muffs and a Bobber A/C cover.. I have a thing for sound of V&H Straightshot mufflers and a chrome Ness cover on open K&N filter. So, I put on new muffs and A/C cover and it was a bit lean. OK, I can remap the FP3 or autotune, but I wanted to try other parts in garage 1st. I have a pair of V&H Straightshots off old dyna that are a close fit. NO CROSSOVER PORTS.. They have quiet baffles and that will reduce flow some. I also used another Bobber cover thats a touch more restrictive. I understand about scavenging and reversion and the crossover purpose and I also understand 2 into 2 exhaust applications. The bike wont be twisted high rpms to utilize a 2 into 2 system, but with the quiet baffles installed, it sounds beefier than the Cycle Shack muffs and has a bit more low end grunt. Because I cannot ever leave things alone, Im surely gonna reinstall the V&H Straightshots with crossover ports and naked A/C again and tune it accordingly.. Just wanted to share my little curiosity results thus far. Im on a short leash with the Sporty because its the wife's new ride..
OK Now.. The wife had some saddle time with the V&H Straightshots Slipons w/quiet baffles. They were an easy adaptation to mount, but were originally on several other bikes. They eliminated the crossover tube.. They seemed to work well with the tune being ok, but I rode it a couple times more, and was ready to try something else. The wife says, " leave it alone already " but can we ?! I put the new V&H Straightshot Slipons with standard baffles, with crossover tube working, and seems more responsive and much louder. Wifey Likey.. So, I must concede to the crossover tube being a noticeable benefit to smoother throttle response and ( seat of pants performance gain low/mid )

Old 07-17-2021, 08:38 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 298 Posts

I swapped out the stock turn signals with Custom Dynamics Pro Beams. The left front signal was being a little finicky when I turned the power on to check it, so I turned the bike off, and when I removed the lens, it popped out so hard it shot across my garage and a little nicked up. 😡 I already ordered a replacement lens. The good news is that I just needed to reseat the light itself a bit better, and now it works fine.

I’m now trying to decide if I want to spring for CD’s headlight or the OEM Daymaker.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:11 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts
Default Back brake failure .

I don't use my back brake very often because I've got a Roadster but last week during an inspection I was rather shocked to discover that the pedal went right down to the stop without resistance and there was nothing happening at the caliper . So I stripped the master cylinder and this is what I found . The seal that goes on the internal spring was completely ruptured . I fitted a HD rebuild kit , bled the system and all is now well . In fact , the lever travel is considerably reduced which leads me to believe that the seal had a pin hole in it for some time .

Old 07-18-2021, 07:49 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by JuddS
He has been busy for sure!
10,540.4 miles, in 11 days, where in the Iron Butt Rally where he got a bronze medal.
The rest were home to Utah and back plus a few.

2021 IBR including Pre and Post rides

Last edited by shanneba; 07-18-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:20 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 590 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by JuddS
Unfortunately I cannot post photos as I am at work, but here is a link

Essentially I rode from Philadelphia out to Salt Lake City, down to Provo, participated in the Iron Butt Rally where I generally rode around the US, then went to Santa Cruz CA, then back home.

Of that time I did not ride or rode only a handful of days for approximately 7 days

Old 07-19-2021, 12:15 PM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

Here is the latest on my 2009 XL1200C.

Saddleman Renegade Solo seat, Kuryakyn Crusher Revolt A/C and Progressive 412 HD 13.5"

The following users liked this post:
1Dyna03 (07-20-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?