Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 03:41 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,992 Likes on 2,548 Posts

they will work fine even though Harley says it only fits '14+ models
You have done the easy side. Does the further forward mount interfere with the muffler balance connecting bracket?

Old 02-06-2021, 10:06 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
...snip...
Does the further forward mount interfere with the muffler balance connecting bracket?
Good question - I'll find out shortly....

T.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:03 PM
Ricky2Guns
Tourer
Received 376 Likes on 172 Posts

Ignition relocation is in route today so I figured I’d get the stage ready for the show. Cleaning everything up, clip, clip, zip, zip and I’ll post pics when she’s done.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:52 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
You have done the easy side. Does the further forward mount interfere with the muffler balance connecting bracket?
So no, it does not appear to be an issue for me. What is more of a question in my case is the clearance of the
allen head bolt on the rod-end to the new bracket.

Heres the stock braket:

And the new further forward bracket. In my case, I have modified the brake lever some, and there is no need for a spacer. It's just
held in place for the picture with zipties. The brake rod length I knew would have to change, and I'll use a button head socket bolt on
the rod-end, so there wont be any clearance issues. So it appears to me like the new braket will work with the "stock" exhaust. This may
not be the case for anyone else trying to use the further forward "kit" that includes shift/brake levers. I'm using non-stock brake and shift levers...

Now I'm off the the hardware store for some more parts....

T.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:04 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ricky2Guns
Ignition relocation is in route today so I figured I’d get the stage ready for the show. Cleaning everything up, clip, clip, zip, zip and I’ll post pics when she’s done.
Yeah, there's alot of plastic & zipties everywhere. It's not clear if you're also doing a "wire tuck" or not though...

So where is the final destination for your key ? Right now, it appears that its been moved from the RH side to
the LH side of the bike.

Thanks!

T.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:12 AM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 45 Posts

It took me a while to read through 7 years of Sportster upgrades and mods in this thread. I learned a lot and am ready to jump in with what I've done so far, mostly as a result of this thread.

Bought this 2014 Iron 883 in 2018 with 900 miles on it. Yep, it had been garaged for most of it's life. Here's where we've been in two years with lessons learned along the way which will hopefully help others.

1. Bought service manual and started reading it.
  • Learned that I can do a lot of maintenance in my garage that I previously thought the dealership needed to do. Saved hundreds of dollars so far.
2. Changed crank case and transmission oil. Replaced oil filter.
  • Learned that sportsters don't have a third hole like Softails.
  • Learned to punch holes at the top and bottom of the oil filter to drain the oil into a chute (home made or HD version). Not a drop spilled.
3. Stage 1: Screamin' Eagle Slip-ons and DK Custom 606 air cleaner and external breather with catch can.
  • Learned about oil blow by and the EPA compliant air cleaners that route the oil mist back into the throttle body. Forum members take sides on how to handle this. Some leave it as is and swear no issues. I chose to install the external breather.

4. HD Power Vision fuel controller mapped at the dealership.
  • Learned that the high flow exhaust and air filter cause pops on deceleration which is corrected by the tuner.
5. Roadster seat. Keeps me from sliding back on acceleration.
  • Learned that there a lot of seat options. I prefer a rear lip to keep me from sliding back when I accelerate.

6. Replaced the old Michelins with Avon Cobra tires.
  • Learned that the age of a tire is a factor, not just tread. I didn't want to ride on rubber that was 6 years old. Most of that time was spent sitting.
  • Learned that positioning the lift on a sporty is not as easy as just shoving it under the frame. Had to position the lift in a way that cleared the exhaust support which sits 1/8 inch lower than the frame. Raising the bike on the exhaust bracket could break or bend it.
  • Learned that HD tires can be removed and installed in my garage with the motion pro tools I use for my KTM Enduro. I used the zip tie technique for the install and it worked well to keep the tire in the drop center. Lube is required, as is a knowledge of what the rim's drop center is. YouTube helps with this. I used Ryglyde lube from my local NAPA store.

7. Belt tensioned (was 1/8" loose). Rear wheel aligned (was 1/16 off).
  • Learned not to assume the original settings were good to go. I bought the tensioner tool from the dealership and made my own alignment tool as described in the service manual.
8. Balanced my tires using Ride On balancer and sealant.
  • Learned about this product for some limited puncture protection and balancing without weights. I have a static wheel balancer but didn't need it thanks to Ride On. The HD forums community is split on whether Ride On is good or not. I chose to use it and glad I did.
9. Added a USB port for my phone (connected to the battery with the fuse provided), and a RAM mount holder on the bars.
  • Learned that Battery Tender has a USB port accessory, but I needed to buy a 2 foot SAE cable to reach the battery. Also learned to keep the provided fuses in place with wired accessories. The battery terminals have enough space for three add-ons, but it was a tight fit.

10. Added two accessory plugs extending from under the seat: Gerbing heated gear plug and Battery Tender plug.
  • Learned that I can ride with temps down into the 40s with Gerbing heated gloves. I fastened the remote to the brake reservoir with a zip tie.
  • I keep my battery tended at all times. That green light on the charger gives me peace of mind.

10. Checked torque on critical fasteners. Some needed a small turn.
  • I learned that I can do most of the 1K services on my own--still working through them. I might be able to do them all. Today I learned the concept of "critical fasteners" and watched a YouTube video about it. I also learned to be sure I have the right socket or hex bit for torqueing. I haven't stripped anything yet, but I'm becoming OCD about it.
Next on the list:

1. Replace the clutch cover. I banged mine up with a stupid drop in the driveway.

2. Replace the stock grips with Kuryakyn iso grips and throttle boss.

3. Swing arm bag.

4. Replace stock shocks for a more comfortable ride. Leaning toward the progressives.

5. Replace stock pegs with something more comfortable.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lightyear68:
DK Custom (03-11-2021), Packgrog (02-08-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 10:14 AM
Acedoc
Tourer
Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts

Well - I got tired of the poor visibility and plonked on a set of Baja design squadron sport ! The visibility is great and I love them .

also finally installed the progressive front monotubes - the difference is night and day - very little nose dive if any and the ride is more planted ! I will have to play around with the rear and get the perfect balance.

I feel I am close to getting the ride / pick up and lightning I like. Now to get the braking sorted out

Old 02-07-2021, 10:31 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Acedoc
Well - I got tired of the poor visibility and plonked on a set of Baja design squadron sport ! The visibility is great and I love them .
...snip...
Please show us a picture of the auxillary light mounting when you get a chance.

thanks!

T.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:03 AM
Acedoc
Tourer
Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Please show us a picture of the auxillary light mounting when you get a chance.

thanks!

T.

here you go, lemme know if you want daytime pics showing the mount and switches. I am pretty stoked and got the amber caps as well for those foggy days !
I know have a long lit up area and pretty good side coverage- this is the driving combo variant.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:07 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Acedoc
...snip...
here you go
Thanks, was more interested in how they are mounted which it's pretty hard to tell with all the glare with them on.
It appears you mounted them to the engine guard ?

thanks,

T.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?