Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 02:41 PM
Iron Horse 13
Road Captain
Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts

rode about 80 miles today.windy again but nice nonetheless.*** end looks so much better without that factory license plate holder hanging off the back.

Last edited by Iron Horse 13; 12-27-2020 at 02:59 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Iron Horse 13:
cacomly (12-28-2020), calileo (12-27-2020), DK Custom (12-27-2020), LeonSky (01-04-2021), WKNDS (12-27-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 12:51 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,539 Likes on 3,276 Posts

I rode it, 30*F is still good...

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-751zcbpl.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by firehawk6:
83XLX (12-28-2020), Packgrog (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 04:19 PM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
I rode it, 30*F is still good...
Mine's been in a storage unit for a couple of weeks, so I topped off the gas with some Sta-Bil treated ethanol free gas (had to drive nearly an hour to get it, yeesh), and fired it up... eventually. Was about 37F here, but took ages to get it warmed up. Didn't have time for a ride, and still too much ice for safety, but at least I FINALLY got it treated. First clear road day above 40F that I'm not working, I'm getting out there ASAP. Hopefully the balaclava I ordered weeks ago will FINALLY arrive by then, but that's a whole other story.

I tell yah, those 5 gallon "spill proof" gas cans from Lowe's are convenient to buy, but a PITA to use. Comes out as little more than a trickle.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:30 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by Packgrog
...snip...

I tell yah, those 5 gallon "spill proof" gas cans from Lowe's are convenient to buy, but a PITA to use. Comes out as little more than a trickle.
I can't stand most of the gas cans made today because of all the idiot-proof spouts.
They suck. A buddy told me about this 4-AA battery powered electric pump, so
I got one of those and it works great! I love it. Auto-shutoff too....

Amazon Amazon

T.

The following users liked this post:
Packgrog (12-29-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 04:33 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,539 Likes on 3,276 Posts

Mine's been in a storage unit for a couple of weeks, so I topped off the gas with some Sta-Bil treated ethanol free gas (had to drive nearly an hour to get it, yeesh), and fired it up... eventually. Was about 37F here, but took ages to get it warmed up. Didn't have time for a ride, and still too much ice for safety, but at least I FINALLY got it treated. First clear road day above 40F that I'm not working, I'm getting out there ASAP. Hopefully the balaclava I ordered weeks ago will FINALLY arrive by then, but that's a whole other story.

I'm going to try and get out again tomorrow for a while. From what the weather is forecast to be after that, it will probably be the last for the year.

No matter though, I have new chrome sliders, Progressive monotubes, and new front tire ready to be installed. The shop I use said they will be slow after the first of the year so the bike's front end will be coming apart for that. When all that's buttoned back up, the new rear tire will be going on.

During the winter I do make sure the tank is full with Stabil added. I agree, these new government approved gas cans are a PITA.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:52 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

The really old red cans didn't have a spill problem. Then the government stepped in to protect us from ourselves. Fortunately, I still have a couple of the old ones that I also keep non-ethanol stabilized gas in. Whenever there is a warm day, I go for a ride and when I come back, I can top off the tank. When the bike sits, I keep it hooked up to the Battery Tender with a long extension cord that allows me to move the bike a few inches every few days on the cold garage floor, to prevent flat spots in the tires.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:06 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

Just stood in a cold garage and gazed upon my bike for a full ten minutes . Soon be summer again .

The following 2 users liked this post by Midpegs:
Cotten (12-29-2020), firehawk6 (12-28-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 07:24 AM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by boomerguy
The really old red cans didn't have a spill problem. Then the government stepped in to protect us from ourselves. Fortunately, I still have a couple of the old ones that I also keep non-ethanol stabilized gas in. Whenever there is a warm day, I go for a ride and when I come back, I can top off the tank. When the bike sits, I keep it hooked up to the Battery Tender with a long extension cord that allows me to move the bike a few inches every few days on the cold garage floor, to prevent flat spots in the tires.
So, I'm trying the FortNine approach this year: cardboard box on the floor to lessen flat spot potential, and just fire it up every week or two to try to keep the battery alive. There's no indoor plug for a tender, so the hope is to just exercise it enough when it's too cold/icy to actually ride. No more missing out on surprise 50+F days because it's locked up at the dealer. And at this rate, if the forecast stays how it's looking right now, I might finally get out again on Saturday! *fingers crossed*

Old 12-29-2020, 07:31 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,548 Posts

I would not be tempted to start the bike if I wasn't going to ride it. In order for the battery to get anything like a recharge after starting you will have to keep the engine at a high idle constantly for quite sometime I would think.

Do you have a much bigger car battery you could hook up in parallel?

Old 12-29-2020, 07:54 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 631 Posts

Flat spots on tyres ( Tires ) ? Is this really an issue ?

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?