Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 09:47 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Let me ask you a question about the breather system. Since I could not see all of the catch can, does it have a vent that is ALWAYS open, and if so, is it clogged. It sounds like you are building crankcase pressure, thus the puking when off. It should not do that. I suspect the pressure has no where to go.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:59 PM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

I blew through the hose to make sure air came out of the outlet, which it did. Dunno if the nozzle on the outlet is just kinda small, or maybe the hose was a bit closed somewhere. Thus the rerouting. I’ll see if it works any better tomorrow.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:07 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

With lung pressure or air hose? There is probably less than 2 psi or one maybe, of crankcase pressure, so it does not take much.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:13 PM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

Yeah, just lung pressure. If the smaller diameter right angle barb on the top of the catch can is too small diameter, then I can certainly get a larger diameter one. Oddly, though, my catch can drain has never emptied any fluid when I’ve unscrewed it. *shrug*

Old 11-06-2020, 10:18 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

I would make sure there is zero resistance when you blow thru it. Open it up as much as possible. All that teflon should not be necessary at all. In fact, I would be leery of it getting into the engine

The following users liked this post:
Iron Horse 13 (11-09-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 04:24 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,991 Likes on 2,548 Posts

On the circlip, I had one fall off but on the clutch side. They are small and it is easy to exceed their elastic limit when using proper circlip pliers.

Packgrog (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 07:24 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

If you place your finger over the drain tube while the engine is running you should just barely feel a little pressure, if any. Most of the liquid that comes out is just condensation that has accumulated on the inside wall of the drain tube.
I don't have a catch can or filter and I may get one drop onto the paper towel I place underneath it after it has been parked an hour or so, if I get any at all while the engine cools down. The paper towel is an easy way to monitor this, as well as keeping my garage floor clean. My air filter stays clean and dry.
When I change oil, I only add about 2 2/3 quarts of new oil so that my dipstick is never above the 2/3 mark on my dipstick when hot, after a ride. If I add more than that, more oil will drip out of the drain tube which is an indicator of too much oil ("blow-by") trying to puke out.

Iron Horse 13 (11-09-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 10:32 AM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 450 Likes on 294 Posts
Default catch can

Originally Posted by Packgrog
Tried reworking my external breather system. I tend to get some puked up oil mist when I shut off my bike, so I tried adding extra Teflon tape to the breather bolts and the washers that touch the banjo bolts. We’ll see if that provides a better seal. I also cut off some heat- hardened bit of tubing, and tried a different path arrangement for the blow by, in hope that it will flow better into my catch can.

Kludgy, did a better job with another washer.

I also discovered two oddities. First was the placement of my carb overflow hose. I didn’t know what the hell it was at first. I guess this is normally routed to the back on older models like mine, but whoever messed with it last moved it to the front. Spotted this while wiping my bike down. It wasn’t placed there last year when I’d changed my own oil. What’s the story with the placement of this hose? Any arguments for in front or behind?

Should I be concerned about that stain in the middle of the engine block near where this hose sits?

Lastly, I discovered something that definitely alarmed me: the pin for my brake lever had no retaining clip, and had slid halfway out of the hole! That could have led to a very nasty surprise! I made a quick run to the local dealer for a $2 tiny metal clip that could save my life!

No clip! Yikes!

by the time I was done tinkering, there really wasn’t any time to ride. But the rest of the weekend looks to be equally gorgeous, so hopefully I’ll get out both days. Tomorrow I check the prospective storage unit to see if it’s big enough, then probably take another ride down river road! Too gorgeous to miss!
Your catch cn vent is facing the wrong way. When you are riding the air blowing into the outlet will not let it breath. This happened to me and I could not figure it out then accidently turned it around. Problem solved

Old 11-07-2020, 11:24 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 227 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by gerald martin
Your catch cn vent is facing the wrong way. When you are riding the air blowing into the outlet will not let it breath. This happened to me and I could not figure it out then accidently turned it around. Problem solved
That's why when yer outside, u never pee facing the wind

Old 11-07-2020, 11:50 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by lewk
That's why when yer outside, u never pee facing the wind
Yeah, when I was a kid and stuck my head out the window and opened my mouth, I found out that I couldn't breathe. Dogs don't have this problem with their snouts.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?