Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 03:43 PM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,294 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Paid it off and traded it in.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:45 PM
calileo
Cruiser

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

Haven't been able to ride this week due to the smoke from all the fires here in the bay area. Smoke wasn't too bad today so decided to go on a little ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by calileo:
Iron Horse 13 (08-25-2020), tmac00333 (08-26-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 07:38 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Yea, be prepared to pay for a caliper rebuild. Cheap insurance for a safe ride though. My bike had over 51k on it when I got it, in April, now almost 55k, and was glad to see the dealer had flushed the brakes. Much bigger job, I think, with these linked brakes.
I agree about the cheap insurance for a safe ride. I'm always pro-active about maintenance and safety. That's why I didn't let this slide because my brakes still work fine -- for now. That's also why I'm getting the dealership do it for me instead of an experienced "shadetree mechanic" (nothing against them as long as I know their limitations). I figure the dealership has experience and parts on hand for this job and my bike won't be sitting in someone else's garage for days or weeks waiting for parts. My goal is to ride it to the dealer (almost 2 hours away) and then ride it back. If not, my wife is "on call" for a ride home if the bike has to stay awhile.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:55 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,548 Posts

You would hope brake components are parts on hand at a dealers.

If it weren't for handirifle's experience with his brake caliper I would of thought it was quite straight forward to refurbish the piston and seals.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:25 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy

If it weren't for handirifle's experience with his brake caliper I would of thought it was quite straight forward to refurbish the piston and seals.
I did see a neat tool on another website not concerning to motorcycles that showed a small tool ideal for compressing the pistons. It looked sort of like a something in between the clutch plate removal/install tool and a steering wheel puller. I like unique tools.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:23 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by boomerguy
I did see a neat tool on another website not concerning to motorcycles that showed a small tool ideal for compressing the pistons. It looked sort of like a something in between the clutch plate removal/install tool and a steering wheel puller. I like unique tools.
Perhaps something like this?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769093

T.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:17 AM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by boomerguy
That's also why I'm getting the dealership do it for me instead of an experienced "shadetree mechanic" (nothing against them as long as I know their limitations). I figure the dealership has experience and parts on hand for this job and my bike won't be sitting in someone else's garage for days or weeks waiting for parts.
Here's hoping your dealer mechanic does a better job than mine did. Not only did they drastically overcharge me for everything that I asked them to do, but they skipped tasks that were requested (ie: cleaning it up after winter storage), and managed to screw up a primary fluid change. *I* even did a better job with that than they did.

There's definitely things that I'm not comfortable trying to do myself. But I've got to find a better mechanic for that stuff than my local dealer. Too much overcharging and too many screw-ups for my comfort.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:37 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy

LOL
I used to think so too. Although I have not gotten into too many mechanical jobs, over the years, that I could not finish, there have been a few. And I am not too proud to say "give" when it comes to that. That one had me scratching my head a lot.
I hope the dealer gets him done up quickly and correctly.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:45 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by calileo
Haven't been able to ride this week due to the smoke from all the fires here in the bay area. Smoke wasn't too bad today so decided to go on a little ride.

Now fog is something you guys are used to, but the smoke mixed in gets nasty. The winds shifted back today. Coming from the north, bringing smoke back our way, so maybe you will get a reprieve.
Thats a nice view of the bridge. Funny thing was I NEVER see toll roads, so fortunately I had enough cash on me on our ride to Ft. Bragg last summer. Just got through reading a book about a racer chick that visited 49 states on her FZ07 "adventure" bike, and she was shocked at how many toll roads she ran into in the north east US. Said that was the most expensive leg of the entire trip.
When I came home from that trip I came the 101 and got to practice lane splitting, a lot, in Oakland, lol. Someone needs to remind them freeways are not parking lots.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:02 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Packgrog
Here's hoping your dealer mechanic does a better job than mine did. Not only did they drastically overcharge me for everything that I asked them to do, but they skipped tasks that were requested (ie: cleaning it up after winter storage), and managed to screw up a primary fluid change. *I* even did a better job with that than they did.

There's definitely things that I'm not comfortable trying to do myself. But I've got to find a better mechanic for that stuff than my local dealer. Too much overcharging and too many screw-ups for my comfort.
Got the bike back from the dealership where the labor charge is $100/hr. The job took 6 hours and required a new caliper, pads and master cylinder, plus unfreezing the pistons in both calipers. Because I had to wait so long, they only charged for 3 hours of labor plus parts which totaled $432 and change. They didn't finish the job before I had to leave for an appointment and knowing that I live 2 hours away, they gave me a loaner with a full tank of gas.
This is the only Harley dealership I've dealt with and I have no complaints, so far. They're in Roanoke, VA.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?