Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 05:06 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,991 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Subtle difference there in your height, I am only 5' 5" plus 70lbs heavier than me.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:56 AM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Numinex
@Andy from Sandy @Packgrog I just got the Mustang Wide Solo Touring myself and at my height and weight 6' 220 lbs I honestly find the seat far more comfortable than the 883 SL Seat. I couldn't hardly do 50 miles on the stock seat. I did 150 without batting an eye on the Mustang. Big thing when I chatted with another guy and Mustang they said give it 1000 miles to confirm to your rear end. You will stop sliding once it's broken in. When I first rode it I thought I made a horrible mistake. But now with a few hundred on it it's getting better and better. My issue with the stock as well with mids was my knees were higher than the tank. Only issue with the Mustang so far is I might have to get bar backs. It moved me back 2" similar to the sundowner seat. Measured the old man's Custom with the Sundowner vs my Mustang and I think that's what Mustang wanted a solo clone of the 2 up sundowner. Measurements were near spot on, but with the laid back riser of the custom the bars are more comfortable.
Well, I'm 5' 9" 200lbs, with forward controls. If I had the backrest version of this seat, or a bag behind me to keep me in place, I might like this seat better. It certainly is comfortable when sitting on it while stopped. But if the seat can't keep me in place during a modest take-off on a so-called "girls' bike", then it's failing at a key job. I dunno, we'll see. If I can find a luggage rack for cheap and strap something to it that can act like a back rest so that I don't have to grip so hard to the controls to stay in place, then maybe I'll give it another chance. Seems like a lot of effort and money to kludge something that the seat should kinda just do though. :/

Old 06-12-2020, 09:37 AM
BrafeRacer
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Numinex
Went for my first evening ride of the season, about got into a wreck, lady pulls up to a stop sign, I'm doing 50 on the cross road, just about the time I see the white of her eyes, she pulls out on front of me and stops dead in my lane. I mash the brakes (abs really works well, my first time I triggered it non purposely) swerve around her and realize the lady is now chasing me. I tried putting some distance between us but she's now flashing her lights and honking at me. I get up to the next cross road where there is a bar, pull off and she whips on behind me screaming ber head off at how I could of killed her. I tap my pocket where my phones poking out, said lady this is and was being recorded. Including you purposely pulling out in front of me. She hightailed it to her car and took off like a shot. Funny part I wasn't recording. Lol then after shaking that off I got a funny shake on the bike on the rest of my ride, so I've got it partially torn apart in the garage tonight. Hopefully found the issue after finding a misfire code stored in the ECU.

Bikes just mad at me I guess, been seriously thinking of hanging up the helmet for good this winter. Seriously thinking of someone came along and wanted my bike, it would go away. Health just can't cooperate enough to warrant having a bike that I ride 5-600 miles a year.
Something similar happen to me last month but the person that pulled in front of me and kept going because they knew they were at fault. I'm sure they saw me waving my middle finger in the air through their rear view mirror and must have scared them. Never caught up to them to give them the "evil eye" unfortunately.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:44 AM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

Haven't had an encounter that bracing yet, but I do recall being on a 45mph road the weekend after the full lockdown was eased, and someone ahead of me was pretty much just sticking to the posted limit, with a red Jeep behind me practically up my ***. When the car ahead of me finally turned, I wasn't really in any hurry so I didn't really go much faster. At the following intersection, the Jeep sped up and passed me through a left turn lane. Didn't so much give him the finger as I did motion in a "uh... what?" expression. Then caught up at the next intersection where this same aggressive jackass got stuck doing the limit again... behind a Dodge Challenger. Oh I laughed a Schadenfreude laugh at the glorious poetic justice. Heh.

I do miss the lockdown as a rider, though. I prefer the roads being more empty. :P

The following users liked this post:
JRider1807 (06-22-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 11:27 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 725 Posts

Bought one for my wife...2020 Iron 883 in Baracuda Silver Denim, Burly bars and Cobra slip-ons

Last edited by snake_eyes; 06-12-2020 at 03:14 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by snake_eyes:
Ben221 (06-21-2020), Iron Horse 13 (06-12-2020), Jed Clampett (06-19-2020), LeonSky (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 02:02 PM
Numinex
Club Member
Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

@Packgrog I hear you. I remember that with my forwards when I had my old 883 Custom years ago. Had the Badlander seat on it and with the forwards it was a handful after the 1200 conversion to stay on the seat. With the mids on my SL I feel more planted in the seat. As much as I'd like to convert to forwards on my SL, my bad hip won't allow it. Info have highway Pegs though and info miss forwards with my long leg. Being able to pinch the tank helps. But having the 4.5 gallon tank gives my legs some grip vs the peanut tank on the 883 Custom as well. Good luck hope you find a workable solution.

Old 06-12-2020, 04:28 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Packgrog
Haven't had an encounter that bracing yet, but I do recall being on a 45mph road the weekend after the full lockdown was eased, and someone ahead of me was pretty much just sticking to the posted limit, with a red Jeep behind me practically up my ***. When the car ahead of me finally turned, I wasn't really in any hurry so I didn't really go much faster. At the following intersection, the Jeep sped up and passed me through a left turn lane. Didn't so much give him the finger as I did motion in a "uh... what?" expression. Then caught up at the next intersection where this same aggressive jackass got stuck doing the limit again... behind a Dodge Challenger. Oh I laughed a Schadenfreude laugh at the glorious poetic justice. Heh.

I do miss the lockdown as a rider, though. I prefer the roads being more empty. :P
Usually when that happens around here, we laugh at them as we split lanes in the heavy traffic, and get miles ahead of them. Had folks riding my rear coming south through Oakland a year ago. Then when everyone slowed to a crawl, I just weaved the sporty through traffic, for the next 15 moles. Never saw that car again.

The following users liked this post:
Packgrog (06-12-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 02:16 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,572 Likes on 3,284 Posts

Mounted up more shiny parts... Got the polished rear rotor on the bike, just waiting for all the parts to get here so I can get my son's bike back together and off the lift so I can mount up the front polished rotor on mine.
What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-u3cmtsgl.jpg

Old 06-14-2020, 02:49 PM
99-883xlc
Cruiser
Received 321 Likes on 131 Posts

Rode for about 3 hours then cleaned it up

Old 06-14-2020, 03:01 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,991 Likes on 2,548 Posts

My bike has been in the garage for a month or so. I took it out yesterday and today. When I parked it this afternoon and gave it a look over it is covered in a good layer of dust.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?