Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 09:43 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by Packgrog
At last! I FINALLY installed by new intake and external breather from @DK Custom on Saturday. Went out for a joyous test ride afterward, then went out again on Sunday to pick up those air shocks. Both rides were excellent, and I’m definitely happier with the lower profile intake. It’s a good thing that I got a proper cover for the intake, though, as we had some unexpected rain on Saturday night, and I’d left the girl uncovered. No water logging with this cover! Most excellent!

Also took off the stupid chrome cover for the rear master cylinder. Should allow a little more cooling of the exhaust.

Looking good! Glad to hear you're enjoying, and we appreciate the business.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Packgrog (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 09:49 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

Installed a chrome coil cover, removed the sissy bar, luggage rack, installed lay down plate and brake light, went with a solo seat and replaced the leaking oil drain line.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:33 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts
Default Red Alert!

Another member (Baldy54,I believe) recently posted a photo of his Sporty with red calipers. I was hooked; I thought they looked fantastic. I didn't want to paint my original calipers so I went on Ebay and luckily found a set of calipers for the 1200S.
While I was at it, I decided to paint the DK chin fairing the same color. Originally the chin fairing was black and it was almost invisible. And then I decided to paint the HD logo on the front axle nut covers. (Yes, this is a sickness.)
It may not be for everybody, but I love how it all came together.

The following 3 users liked this post by MikeBel:
Andy from Sandy (05-05-2020), Iron Horse 13 (05-04-2020), Packgrog (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Iron Horse 13
Road Captain
Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts

looks good.detail is where its at.

The following 2 users liked this post by Iron Horse 13:
MikeBel (05-04-2020), OCSpringer (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 06:41 PM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 280 Posts

Took trip to Ormond Beach Fl. From Cape Coral, round trip 309 Mls. Stayed there two days then home.

oh yea did some surf fishing too. Oh yea I'm the short one in the middle

Last edited by Tileman2692; 05-04-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:48 PM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben221
Installed a chrome coil cover, removed the sissy bar, luggage rack, installed lay down plate and brake light, went with a solo seat and replaced the leaking oil drain line.

I've been looking for a pair of bags like that where did you get them.

Ive been looking for a pair of bags like that where did you get them

Old 05-04-2020, 10:46 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

At last! I FINALLY installed by new intake and external breather from @DK Custom on Saturday. Went out for a joyous test ride afterward, then went out again on Sunday to pick up those air shocks. Both rides were excellent, and I’m definitely happier with the lower profile intake. It’s a good thing that I got a proper cover for the intake, though, as we had some unexpected rain on Saturday night, and I’d left the girl uncovered. No water logging with this cover! Most excellent!

Also took off the stupid chrome cover for the rear master cylinder. Should allow a little more cooling of the exhaust.

Maybe I am paranoid, but I would not want that little oil filter right next to my rear brake rotor. If any oil does come out of it, it could get on that rotor. But at least the rotor won't get all rusty that way.

When I did mine, I ran the line to a little inline fuel filter, and laid the filter on top of the crankcase, at the back of the engine. It was all painted black so you have to look for it to see it. The exit line went down along side the brake reservoir line. If any oil dripped (never saw a drop on my garage floor for the year I had it) it would hit the ground about 3" to the side of rear tire.

The following users liked this post:
Packgrog (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 09:42 AM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Maybe I am paranoid, but I would not want that little oil filter right next to my rear brake rotor. If any oil does come out of it, it could get on that rotor. But at least the rotor won't get all rusty that way.

When I did mine, I ran the line to a little inline fuel filter, and laid the filter on top of the crankcase, at the back of the engine. It was all painted black so you have to look for it to see it. The exit line went down along side the brake reservoir line. If any oil dripped (never saw a drop on my garage floor for the year I had it) it would hit the ground about 3" to the side of rear tire.
Yeah, I'm not loving the placement. I tried to shift it back a little to get it further from the rotor. May try shortening it further. I don't use the rear brake a LOT (mostly just when going downhill so that I don't risk flipping if I accidentally get too grabby with the front brake), but it would indeed be better to keep that clean.

One thing not evident from the angle of that shot is that I tried to secure it so that the little filter was tucked up more under the bag so that it would be less likely to sag down and touch the rotor. One problem is that it's tough to shift it much further forward toward the passenger peg while still having enough length in the zip tie to keep it secured. I suppose I could just hang it from the p-peg mount itself and be done with it. Not likely to ride with a passenger in the foreseeable future anyway, and that bag already gets in the way of that peg...

Last edited by Packgrog; 05-05-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Tileman2692
Ive been looking for a pair of bags like that where did you get them
They came with the bike. I have seen them for sale occasionally on ebay or facebook market place pretty cheap. Good luck

Old 05-05-2020, 10:25 AM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team
Received 738 Likes on 427 Posts

Yeah, I'm not loving the placement. I tried to shift it back a little to get it further from the rotor. May try shortening it further. I don't use the rear brake a LOT (mostly just when going downhill so that I don't risk flipping if I accidentally get too grabby with the front brake), but it would indeed be better to keep that clean.
You will have less of an issue if you actually remove the filter and just run an open line. The vapor from the breather will saturate the filter element and it will actually start blowing oil all over the place. It will also start restricting flow quite a bit. Once the filter is clogged when you are really getting on the throttle it is like the filter is under pressure and it sprays oil mist everywhere. I had that exact setup on my '03 and it ended up being a mess. A catch can is the only clean solution. This is how I ended up routing mine. When the pipe is on it is really not that noticeable. I drain it once every couple weeks via a drain plug on the bottom.

Last edited by OCSpringer; 05-05-2020 at 10:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OCSpringer:
Iron Horse 13 (05-06-2020), Packgrog (05-05-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?