Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 06:05 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts

Well, my project today was nowhere near as complex as Handrifle's. I've had a an problem with my left turn signal which I was pretty sure was an intermittent ground issue inside the signal housing. It only took about 5 minutes to repair it, but just to be sure all was OK, I took the bike for a 100 mile shake-down ride to check it out. Safety first, right?

Last edited by MikeBel; 03-29-2020 at 06:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mrbreezeett1 (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:22 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Ha 100miles, pshaw! Just kidding. After I posted this I went for a 15 mile round trip to swap cookies between my wife and her sister. They put theirs in their mailbox, and I took those, and put ours in. We got peanut butter cookies, and they got magic cookie bars. Gotta do something with all this seclusion. EAT

Old 03-29-2020, 07:55 PM
mrbreezeett1
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Ha 100miles, pshaw! Just kidding. After I posted this I went for a 15 mile round trip to swap cookies between my wife and her sister. They put theirs in their mailbox, and I took those, and put ours in. We got peanut butter cookies, and they got magic cookie bars. Gotta do something with all this seclusion. EAT
That Is Nice!
Your luggage rack looks good.
Did you get/Install U'r throttle cables yet?

Old 03-29-2020, 08:05 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Nah, they are thinking maybe Tuesday. I also preordered oil and filters. Time for that again too.

Busy studying trunks to figure best way to make one and NOT have it look homemade.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:09 PM
mrbreezeett1
Cruiser

Maybe some day (If I ever get out of here) (Isn't that a song, Oh yeah, Solo Paul McCartney If WE ever get out of here, gonna give it all away........lol
anyways I wouldn't mind getting into a little metal work.
Had to git rid of my Little 110 mig, But it was Nice, had gauges and argon and everything. <Sigh> Maybe someday.
Got a nice little Harbor freight manual tire machine too, with the attachment for M/C tires, Came with a Nice No-Mar bar too.
The HF tire tool that comes with it, Might make a good Pry bar some day, Cause it sure fails as a tire tool.............
Have to get some UHMW plastic to make some protectors for the rim.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:38 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
We got peanut butter cookies, and they got magic cookie bars. Gotta do something with all this seclusion. EAT
You got that right. By the time this crap is over we're all going to need a suspension upgrade.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:39 PM
Artax
Intermediate
Received 75 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gerald martin
If for any reason you could be talked into making another one, what would the cost be. I have a 2015 883 super low
yea, not really looking to make any more at the moment. If for some reason I do, I would simplify the design and remove the speakers and possibly the center vent. The cost for the current design would be way to high to make it worth my time, components and materials. And to be honest I don't think it would fit a superlow with the center vent. I believe the instrument cluster sits too high. Appreciate the interest though.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:51 PM
Artax
Intermediate
Received 75 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbreezeett1
Maybe some day (If I ever get out of here) (Isn't that a song, Oh yeah, Solo Paul McCartney If WE ever get out of here, gonna give it all away........lol
anyways I wouldn't mind getting into a little metal work.
Had to git rid of my Little 110 mig, But it was Nice, had gauges and argon and everything. <Sigh> Maybe someday.
Got a nice little Harbor freight manual tire machine too, with the attachment for M/C tires, Came with a Nice No-Mar bar too.
The HF tire tool that comes with it, Might make a good Pry bar some day, Cause it sure fails as a tire tool.............
Have to get some UHMW plastic to make some protectors for the rim.
I can vouch for the HF motorcycle tire changer and No-Mar bar. But definitely get or create some mojo blocks. I ended up designing and 3d printing some blocks out of abs plastic with some 3d printed tpu covers to give them some rubbery grips. Worked pretty good. One thing I would say is make sure to get some of the tire lube paste if you didn't get any. And make sure to lube everything. I ended up scuffing my wheel paint just slightly from friction between the no-mar mounting tip rubbing where it wasn't lubed, most people wont even notice but I know its there. Only other thing I didn't like about the HF setup was how tall the setup is. Makes it a little difficult if your short. Other than that, it pretty much pays for itself with one tire change. Good luck with the setup.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:31 PM
mrbreezeett1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Artax
I can vouch for the HF motorcycle tire changer and No-Mar bar. But definitely get or create some mojo blocks. I ended up designing and 3d printing some blocks out of abs plastic with some 3d printed tpu covers to give them some rubbery grips. Worked pretty good. One thing I would say is make sure to get some of the tire lube paste if you didn't get any. And make sure to lube everything. I ended up scuffing my wheel paint just slightly from friction between the no-mar mounting tip rubbing where it wasn't lubed, most people wont even notice but I know its there. Only other thing I didn't like about the HF setup was how tall the setup is. Makes it a little difficult if your short. Other than that, it pretty much pays for itself with one tire change. Good luck with the setup.
thank you.
yes, I am short.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:41 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Do you guys balance your tires too? My cost was $25 per tire for mount and balance. If I could balance too, then it would be worth it. Not of fan of the bead balancing setups.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?