Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 09:10 AM
GC02903
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That fairing is remarkable. The proportions are perfect for the bike and the paint is killer. A lot of fairings I have seen on sportsters look like they slapped on a transplant from a bigger bike.

Originally Posted by Artax
Finished my final project for the winter season, custom designed and 3d printed chin spoiler. This project took quite a bit of time with design and prototypes before getting it where I wanted it, but I am pretty happy with it. The painter that did all my other paint work hasn't been available so I decided to rattle can it with HD vivid black and cleared with spray max 2k clear. Tons of wet sanding and buffing I think it turned out pretty good. Will have to see how it holds up. I have a few more mods in mind for the future but I am really close to saying I am finally done with this bike.

Need to get it outside and get some better pictures but garage pics will have to do for now.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:15 AM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 450 Likes on 294 Posts
Default sportster

Finished my final project for the winter season, custom designed and 3d printed chin spoiler. This project took quite a bit of time with design and prototypes before getting it where I wanted it, but I am pretty happy with it. The painter that did all my other paint work hasn't been available so I decided to rattle can it with HD vivid black and cleared with spray max 2k clear. Tons of wet sanding and buffing I think it turned out pretty good. Will have to see how it holds up. I have a few more mods in mind for the future but I am really close to saying I am finally done with this bike.

Need to get it outside and get some better pictures but garage pics will have to do for now.

where did you get your fairing? looks fantastic

The following users liked this post:
Marsikus (03-29-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 09:56 AM
Artax
Intermediate
Received 75 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Horse 13
Lovin that fairing set up.
Originally Posted by GC02903
That fairing is remarkable. The proportions are perfect for the bike and the paint is killer. A lot of fairings I have seen on sportsters look like they slapped on a transplant from a bigger bike.
Originally Posted by gerald martin
where did you get your fairing? looks fantastic
Thanks. Its a custom one-off fairing. I designed and 3d printed the fairing also. that project took a long time, I have probably 400 hours in design, 3d printing, glueing and sanding. Its quick detach and uses my old windshield QT brackets, Its got an adjustable center vent similar to the road king splitter shield and also has a set of polk db6502 component speaker set in it. I could post a bunch of photos but I don't want to clog up this post. But here is a few

The following 4 users liked this post by Artax:
DK Custom (03-27-2020), Marsikus (03-29-2020), Njavier03 (04-04-2020), Packgrog (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 10:20 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Thanks. Its a custom one-off fairing. I designed and 3d printed the fairing also. that project took a long time, I have probably 400 hours in design, 3d printing, glueing and sanding. Its quick detach and uses my old windshield QT brackets, Its got an adjustable center vent similar to the road king splitter shield and also has a set of polk db6502 component speaker set in it. I could post a bunch of photos but I don't want to clog up this post. But here is a few

Fantastic work!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Artax (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 11:03 AM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 450 Likes on 294 Posts
Default fairing

If you could patent that and put it in production you would be rich in no time. You should go on the dragon den and get it out on the market. I have not ever seen a nicer fairing on a sportster

The following 2 users liked this post by gerald martin:
Iron Horse 13 (03-27-2020), Njavier03 (04-04-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 11:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Artax, that is truly remarkable, jolly well done.

Back in the '60s I designed a racing style 'dustbin' fairing for my road bike, with twin stacked headlights, integral windshield etc. As an engineer I was also trained as a draughtsman, so drawing it all up was fairly easy! Making it in glass-fibre, the go-to material of the day, was going to involve building a wooden and plaster mould, looking rather like the nose of an aircraft. Unfortunately living in college digs, as a student, I had no workshop space to make a serious start. So all these years later I'm doubly envious of your excellent efforts!

Old 03-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,991 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Very nice.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

What printer did you use?

Old 03-27-2020, 11:19 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

What material did you use?

Old 03-27-2020, 12:24 PM
Artax
Intermediate
Received 75 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Fantastic work!
Thanks

Originally Posted by gerald martin
If you could patent that and put it in production you would be rich in no time. You should go on the dragon den and get it out on the market. I have not ever seen a nicer fairing on a sportster
The problem with mass production, first is there are features in the design that are not injection moldable because I knew I was going to print it. I could maybe change some things but there are a few areas that just don't work or fit if I make them manufacturable. Second its designed to work with the early model 48 mid glide forks and instrument location. So would only fit on those model bikes. I had considered redesigning the outer shell as a fiberglass skin that could have mounting brackets glassed in and simplify the inner fairing, but again it only fits on a few model year bikes. Its more work than most people think.

Originally Posted by grbrown
Artax, that is truly remarkable, jolly well done.

Back in the '60s I designed a racing style 'dustbin' fairing for my road bike, with twin stacked headlights, integral windshield etc. As an engineer I was also trained as a draughtsman, so drawing it all up was fairly easy! Making it in glass-fibre, the go-to material of the day, was going to involve building a wooden and plaster mould, looking rather like the nose of an aircraft. Unfortunately living in college digs, as a student, I had no workshop space to make a serious start. So all these years later I'm doubly envious of your excellent efforts!
Thanks, designing for easy DIY manufacturing is quite difficult. 3d printing has come a long way but still takes alot of time. Now that I have it made, I could probably make a plaster mold of the fairing and create some fairing skins with fiberglass but it is not a small effort involved. It has crossed my mind but as stated above it would only fit certain model year 48 models, or if simplified the shell could possibly fit mid glide front ends.

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
What material did you use?
All the 3d printed parts are abs plastic, glued together using abs/acetone glue made from scrap

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
What printer did you use?
I used a highly modified Anet A8 printer.

The following 2 users liked this post by Artax:
Andy from Sandy (03-27-2020), Packgrog (03-27-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?