Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Additives to the fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Daether
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additives to the fuel?

So, as a car owner, I've always put in a fuel cleaner every now and then into my gas tank, for good luck sake, and some petroleum substance into the oil, and my honda has run great for years. I finally bought my Harley 883 Superlow (2013) and now I'm wondering, can I do the same with a motorcycle, and should I do the same with my bike? Any recommendations to keep my bike alive, healthy, and happy for a very long time? (Only have had her for a week and 3 days, 690 miles on her, used 91 octane, supreme, fuel only)

Old 12-12-2013, 08:53 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Most fuel has enough additives to keep system clean. Ethanol can form more deposits than straight gas. Run a little sea foam if it gives you comfort. I stick with the same brand premium non ethanol and only will use an additive for storage.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my small engine equipment where E10 will destroy them suckers right quick I have used Lucas safeguard for years. The stuff actually works real good and since I started treating gas with it I have had zero gas related problems. So I would say it works. But earlier this year I took a look see to what its made from and it looks like a real thin TCW3 oil. If you look at the CAS number on the MSDS and buy the right Naphtha, which is 75% of what safeguard is and mix in the right amount of tcw3 you can make your own for much less cost. My small engines work just as good with the home brew as the store bought version.

What ever you do NEVER admit to or mention the use of anything in your gas or oil here! Keep it on the DL.

Last edited by Dusty Bones; 12-12-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 PM
laffin gas
Tourer

if its fuel injected just add a half tank of VP unleaded fuel...burns nice and clean. carb bike with no o2 sensors you can use leaded vp fuel. lucas works well just be very careful on how much you add...BG makes an excellent product called 44k which is outstanding but again be careful how much you add to the tank of gas.
if it was me (which I do) I would just keep a 5 gallon jug of VP fuel and add a little every so often. it smells great and is a very clean fuel. you don't have to get a high octane...you just want a good fuel you can trust.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:23 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

if it were me i would save my money and add nothing, unless you only take real short trips, or don't ride much, the bike with pump gas will keep itself clean on the inside for 15k-20k...if the bike starts to act up, like running rough or coughing etc., then I would try some seafoam etc. to see if it helps clean the fuel system...most of the stuff is snake oil as far as I am concerned...

Old 12-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO

Seafoam in the tank about every 1k and during storage. Seafoam in the oil for 25 to 50 miles before oil change.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Nahhhhh... don't need to put anything in gasoline. For most of them they are well distilled and kleen. Maybe once every oil change you can use an injector cleaner to remove varnish.
It's a total different story with diesel fuel...

Old 12-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,992 Likes on 4,183 Posts

Leave it out or at least do no more then they say for how much is in the tank. I never use it, do all my own work and a lot for others. It will dissolve the sock right off a fuel injected bike when too much is put in there.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:09 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus55
Nahhhhh... don't need to put anything in gasoline. For most of them they are well distilled and kleen...
I disagree.

Last year I rode my Iron year 'round with the exeption of a single two week period where the roads were covered in snow and ice. And after that rude period of inclement weather [LOL] I started up the bike and within 10 seconds it crapped out. I restarted it and it would NOT stay running unless the throttle was at half, and even at that it was coughing out the intake, farting out the exhaust, and just ran like $hit. It seemed to get slightly better after I gunned the $hit out of it so I took it down the road - but after just a mile or two there was no improvement so I turned around and thankfully made it home without incident.

As soon as I got home I looked into the fuel tank; cloudy. Now this was gas that I had purchased just two weeks prior. I siphoned it out and took the cage to the gas station with a jug for a couple of gallons of fresh 93 octane, which I then poured into the tank. The bike started right up, and although it initially coughed for about ten seconds, it soon thereafter smoothed out and it was back to it's normal self.

I then looked at the fuel I siphoned out of the tank, which revealed through the cloudiness that the ethynol in the fuel had attracted a decent amount of water, which was enough to cause erratic [read: $hitty] performance. It was then that I decided that I would use some type of product to help eleviate the moisture problems associated with fuels containing ethynol, and that product was sea foam.

Many here will insist that today's fuels don't require anything additional because of all the additives and detergents already in them, but there are NO gasolines available today that I am aware of that offer any means of fighting or limiting any moisture related problems. And since adding a very small amount of sea foam to each tankfull since that day I have yet to have ANY fuel related issues, and that to me is a little peace of mind that costs me a mere $5-6 once a year, affordable to most everyone except the most hard core penny pinchers, oh, and the poor guys who [say they] can't afford tuners, bwaaaahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa...

=8^)

Old 12-13-2013, 09:26 PM
DeadShort
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrewBone

I disagree.

Last year I rode my Iron year 'round with the exeption of a single two week period where the roads were covered in snow and ice. And after that rude period of inclement weather [LOL] I started up the bike and within 10 seconds it crapped out. I restarted it and it would NOT stay running unless the throttle was at half, and even at that it was coughing out the intake, farting out the exhaust, and just ran like $hit. It seemed to get slightly better after I gunned the $hit out of it so I took it down the road - but after just a mile or two there was no improvement so I turned around and thankfully made it home without incident.

As soon as I got home I looked into the fuel tank; cloudy. Now this was gas that I had purchased just two weeks prior. I siphoned it out and took the cage to the gas station with a jug for a couple of gallons of fresh 93 octane, which I then poured into the tank. The bike started right up, and although it initially coughed for about ten seconds, it soon thereafter smoothed out and it was back to it's normal self.

I then looked at the fuel I siphoned out of the tank, which revealed through the cloudiness that the ethynol in the fuel had attracted a decent amount of water, which was enough to cause erratic [read: $hitty] performance. It was then that I decided that I would use some type of product to help eleviate the moisture problems associated with fuels containing ethynol, and that product was sea foam.

Many here will insist that today's fuels don't require anything additional because of all the additives and detergents already in them, but there are NO gasolines available today that I am aware of that offer any means of fighting or limiting any moisture related problems. And since adding a very small amount of sea foam to each tankfull since that day I have yet to have ANY fuel related issues, and that to me is a little peace of mind that costs me a mere $5-6 once a year, affordable to most everyone except the most hard core penny pinchers, oh, and the poor guys who [say they] can't afford tuners, bwaaaahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa...

=8^)
You can do the same thing sea foam does with rubbing alcohol. All it does is mix with the water so it actually burns off.

Quick Reply: Additives to the fuel?