Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Additives to the fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 AM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Right here. You only use a half ounce for 3gallons so you get 16 tanks of treatment for $9. It counteracts the damage that ethanol can cause. I use it every tank

Last edited by BMCsteve; 12-24-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BMCsteve
Right here. You only use a half ounce for 3gallons so you get 16 tanks of treatment for $9. It counteracts the damage that ethanol can cause. I use it every tank

Msds says it is 95% Naphtha. The other 5% looks like TCW3 is mixed in with it. Of course they wont put that on the MSDS though.

You can make the same stuff at home by mixing tcw3 with some Naphtha. Lucas safeguard is 75% Naphtha and looks like green tcw3 is the other 25%. I make my own Lucas safeguard now and testing on my small motors has shown me it works as good, if not a little better and is way cheaper when I mix it myself.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:33 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
While this is a "recommended use" on the Seafoam can label, and it does work for most vehicles, I do not recommend it on a Harley.

Seafoam added to the motor oil is only supposed to remain in the system for a short (50-100 miles) time, prior to the oil change. Unlike your car or truck where an oil change involves draining ALL of the old oil and added Seafoam, an oil change on the Sporty leaves approx 1 of the 3.6 quarts of the old oil (and seafoam) in the system. Adding Seafoam to the oil thins it to help flush out any crud when the oil is drained. It's not meant to be left in the system.
I spent a few hours talking with a seafoam rep when I ran a independent parts store. It is a common misconseption to only use seafoam in oil before service. When it can be added during a fresh oil change to keep crankcase clean. As far as a v twin and residual oil left as you stated
I don't know or recommend as you also said. I am a firm believer that changing oil in proper intervals doesn't require additives like seafoam since modern motor oil from a reputable mfr has a good enough detergent package to keep engine clean without the need for additives. This is also based off changing at proper intervals and always keeping engine running properly.

http://seafoamsales.com/using-in-crankcase-oil/

Old 12-24-2013, 11:38 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
While this is a "recommended use" on the Seafoam can label, and it does work for most vehicles, I do not recommend it on a Harley.

Seafoam added to the motor oil is only supposed to remain in the system for a short (50-100 miles) time, prior to the oil change. Unlike your car or truck where an oil change involves draining ALL of the old oil and added Seafoam, an oil change on the Sporty leaves approx 1 of the 3.6 quarts of the old oil (and seafoam) in the system. Adding Seafoam to the oil thins it to help flush out any crud when the oil is drained. It's not meant to be left in the system.
I agree. I don't leave it in the system and use it about 100 miles before a scheduled oil change. That's for my '07.

On the Ironhead I picked up recently, when I can run the bike to full operating temperature, I'll do an oil change with come cheap 20/50 oil, add the Seafoam, run the bike about 50 miles and do another oil change with a quality 50w when the weather warms up. I already have some in the gas tank. I'll probably end up doing a carb rebuild anyway eventually, but I'd like to clean the system out either way.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Bad Sporty
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all you want to do is clean the fuel system, a little racing gas does wonders for cleaning the old crap out

Old 12-31-2013, 06:33 AM
laffin gas
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked at a large motorcycle dealer and we stored tons of bikes for customers. one of the first things we did was an oil change and added startron to the fuel and ran it before the bike was stored. they all had a tender on them too. all the bikes we stored always started right up and customers were happy and while they were leaving with their running bikes we were making appointments for people for fuel system issues because they never added startron or anything else....sold a ton of batteries to people that didn't believe in $25 battery tenders. for the average person that wants to park their ride for winter and start it up in the spring to ride....add startron and run the bike to get it in the entire system....shut bike off....change oil....plug in tender and wait for spring.