Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped the bike after 5 years...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:49 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dropped the bike after 5 years...

rode into an underground parking garage. noticed that the floors were slick but didnt think too much about it. put my foot down to stop and just like stepping on ice- foot flew out, bike down and i tried to catch it but the floor was too slippery. never been on such a slippery floor before. no fun!
full tank of gas proceeded to spill out on the already slippery floor so i grabbed the bike (back to the bike) and started to lift- both feet went out from under me. felt my back pop- jeez!!
two women were in the garage. they worked in the building- grabbed paper towels and we tried to stand on them- finally the three of us were able to get the bike back up, but not with our backs to the bike- too much of a hurry to try to stop the gas leaking out. one of them also fell...
not a scratch on the bike- crash bar on the front took the engine part and the rear turn signal somehow took the rear with no damage-
couldnt believe how heavy our bikes are- have you dropped yours?
how did you pick it back up?

Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Try picking up a 900 lb. electra glide.
I done it more than once by myself, but use the squat and lower back into the seat and standing up.
It's actually quite easy if you do it right.

We have all dropped our bikes at one time or another if you haven't, you will.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:08 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

All riders suffer a drop or fall at one time or another.. If you don't then you are not a real rider, lol..

Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,346 Posts

A big burst of embarrassment induced adrenaline and mine popped right back up.

John

Old 12-12-2013, 05:25 PM
73oldsman
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there myself. I used the first lift to get my bike up once, as in this video. It works!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:28 PM
AWS2111
Cruiser

Originally Posted by John Harper

John
Same here.

I couldn't imagine lifting anything heavier but pulled it off by grabbing the bars and holding the front brake while giving a good heave. Of course, lift with you knees, not you back.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

yeah, except that i was on gasoline on a slippery floor... i backed into the bike and started to lift it with my legs, then both feet slid out! still feeling my back on that one.
also, it fell on the "wrong side" so that it wouldnt have come back on the kick stand-

cant believe how heavy the sporty is-

but i guess i just "joined the club" !!

Old 12-12-2013, 06:58 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper

John
Newly back into riding with the Sporty (since September) and thankfully haven't dropped it yet, though came closer than I was comfortable with the first week I had it in a gravel parking lot.

I did drop my '77 Honda CB750K back about 18 years ago (my first foray into riding, senior year of high school) the second day I had it, came to a stop sign at the end of my street and came to a full stop with the front wheel turned to the left. Man that bike went down on the right side faster than I could have imagined it would. Right in the middle of the travel lane. Thankfully it was a fairly low traffic area. I had gotten off the bike fine as it went down, but I was so freaked out I just grabbed the right front handle bar and the frame near the rear wheel, squatted down, and lifted the thing with my legs. Didn't even think to put the sidestand down first. It had a windjammer fairing on it...probably weighed in about as much or maybe a little more than the sporty. Something tells me that I would most definitely need that kind of adrenaline burst again if I were to even think about picking the sporty up the same way - though I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't do it - I was in a little better shape back then

Glad you managed to get out of this with no damage to the bike (mine appears to have been down on the left side at least once courtesy of one of it's P.O.s - slightly tweaked shifter arm on the forward controls and slightly bent and scuffed left rear turn signal). Hope your back heals up quickly.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:31 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wanabe
rode into an underground parking garage. noticed that the floors were slick but didnt think too much about it. put my foot down to stop and just like stepping on ice- foot flew out, bike down and i tried to catch it but the floor was too slippery. never been on such a slippery floor before. no fun!
full tank of gas proceeded to spill out on the already slippery floor so i grabbed the bike (back to the bike) and started to lift- both feet went out from under me. felt my back pop- jeez!!
two women were in the garage. they worked in the building- grabbed paper towels and we tried to stand on them- finally the three of us were able to get the bike back up, but not with our backs to the bike- too much of a hurry to try to stop the gas leaking out. one of them also fell...
not a scratch on the bike- crash bar on the front took the engine part and the rear turn signal somehow took the rear with no damage-
couldnt believe how heavy our bikes are- have you dropped yours?
how did you pick it back up?

Whats wrong with you? It didn't take me five years to drop the bike. I was able to do that in the first six months of riding.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:52 PM
chappy99
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club,it"s not if you will drop your bike it's when.

Quick Reply: Dropped the bike after 5 years...