Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped the bike after 5 years...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:55 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently dropped mine but was able to ****** it right up, it was a slow fall but ended up on its side for a moment other than a scrape on the pipe and a jammed throttle thankfully nothing else happened.

OP I can understand the problem you had lifting the bike but other than that my old man taught me years ago to never own a bike that I alone can not pick-up because you never know where you will be or if anyone will be around when it goes down.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:33 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by John Harper
A big burst of embarrassment induced adrenaline and mine popped right back up.

John

I will add to the embarrassment a touch of fright from getting a scratch on the new tank and new parts installed, with a pinch of feeling stupid for not putting the stand down....

But yeah... that pretty much describes how I got the bike back up in the garage... but I will never admit that it ever happened...

Oh wait....

Anyway, welcome to the club. You are among an elite group of riders....

Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got lucky with the damage thing... pretty much none-
the engine guard did its job and took the weight. slight scratch that doesnt really show.
at the back it hit the rear signal that i relocated, but since most of the weight is up front there was 0 damage at the back.

--dropped-it club member--

Old 12-13-2013, 01:33 PM
JaySwear
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a "Dropped Bike Motorcycle Club" patch...

My burst of adrenaline has helped me get the bike back up twice. Once with help. The first time was after getting my license. We were putt putting around on light weight Buell Blasts, and when I came to a stop on my Sporty the weight surprised me. It was a slow motion fall and probably pretty funny to see.

The second time the bike ran out of gas (I know I know) and I stopped on the side of a 50 mph road. It had gravel on the side and I just couldn't keep the bike up after I stopped. Fortunately a farmer was out on his tractor and stopped to help. "I see these Sporsters are still as heavy as they used to be!" I just laughed and agreed. I was so full of embarrassed adrenaline (and stupidity) that I grabbed ahold of the exhaust pipe to try to right it while he pushed from the other side. I was really lucky not to burn my hand. One point for well made gloves I guess.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:24 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Last time the bike went down, the first thing to come to mind was that I'm getting to old for this ****! I know better and I should have been paying more attention BEFORE it happened! You can't zero out ANY time when on the bike, ESPECIALLY during slow or stop and go maneuvers!! A burst of adrenaline would get my back thrown out. The most I could hope for would be a gentle lay down. The pick up is fairly EZ! If nobody saw it, it never went down! No patches, as it's a fairly extensive club, something like those that have and those that will.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:47 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JaySwear
I need a "Dropped Bike Motorcycle Club" patch...

gotta get someone to design this !!

--dropped-it club member--