Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped the bike after 5 years...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:05 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thx dandrumhellar- cant sit, but back will be better soon the doc says!

and to everyone else here- I need a badge! proud member of the "dropped-it" club now!

been close before- the worst was with a +2 on the back in a way too tight turn. that one I caught with my foot and fought it till the bike gave up. but now its real !

Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 PM
shawnryan111
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped mine pulling out of my driveway of all places. Coming out of my driveway there is a 3 inch bump which I normally take fine. But this time I had my bike pointed right because I was going to go right but then I changed my mind and tried to turn sharp left. The sharp left wasn’t that bad but when I hit that 3 inch bump with the wheel cocked it down it went and I couldn’t stop it. I didn’t have any trouble getting it back up but I was on pavement with boots so getting a grip wasn’t an issue.

I don’t really like the looks of my engine guard but it may have saved my bike from a dent or a scratch that time.

The worst part about this was my girlfriend saw the whole thing and then for a few weeks she was scared when I went riding.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Roadkinger4life
3rd Gear

Glad to hear the bike didnt take much damage.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:32 PM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hahahaha...it took you FIVE YEARS? :-)

I have also done the parking garage thing. They tend to be a bit slippery. Dropped my 2010 FLSTC in the parking lot of a very busy restaurant while just turning around one day. Put my foot down on loose gravel at slow speed and down she went.

I'm sure there was nothing like watching some worn out dude on an old school looking bike, half shell with helmet stickers, loud pipes, fringe on his levers...drop his ride in front of the entire world.

All you can do it pick it back up, say F it, and ride on. One of the many reasons it pays to be humble in this life :-)

Old 12-12-2013, 11:13 PM
TrevorD
6th Gear

Since I started riding this summer I've managed to drop mine 3 times. First time was in the parking lot at the dmv (actually picking up-well, trying to pick up- my license. But that's another story for another time). Wasn't sitting on the bike and I started it to get it warmed up and it must've been stuck between first and neutral and went down. No major damage, just snapped the end off the clutch lever. Second time was pulling into the garage. Turned too hard and hit the brakes too hard and down she went. No damage. Third time was in traffic and, like the second time, turned and braked a little hard and down it went. Luckily, no damage again and traffic didn't move at all, by some sort of miracle. Traffic started moving right after I started it back up. I must have someone watching over me

Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my drop 8 years ago. Luckily hasn't happened since.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:41 PM
rivermusic
Intermediate

Been hanging my head since last weekend. Dropped my FLHTK after having it six months. Appreciate others confessions. It sure is a lonely feeling when the beast is lying on its side. Fortunately all that's bruised is my ego and being humbled can be a good thing.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:50 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know what to tell you about the sluck floor accept make sure your feet are square under body not angles out.

I dropped my FLHX 2 times in the first 6 mo. Before that I was on smaller bikes and no droppage.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:45 AM
1HDRIO
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try first month of riding!! I dropped my first bike an '06 CBR 600 on a gravel hill going up a friends drive way...

A buddy of mine stopped at a red light in the middle of a busy intersection and when he set his left foot down he slipped on oil or something on the road and down he went...that was the fastest I ever seen anyone pick a bike up and ride off hahaha...

Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe I've got you all beat.

I dropped my first bike, a brand new Kawasaki Ninja in the driveway 5 minutes after taking delivery from the dealer. I had a pretty big driveway so I was just putting around getting the feel of the clutch. With 2 tenths of a mile on the clock it was laying on it's side in my driveway. I picked it up, went in my house to calm down a minute and thought to myself. 'Well you just spent $3500 on it, you wanted it, lets go do it.' Went out hopped back on, and went for a half mile cruise down the road and back. That was 15000 miles and a bike ago. My Dad later told me, there is only two kinds of riders. Those who have gone down, and those who will. Keep calm and Ride On!

Quick Reply: Dropped the bike after 5 years...