Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid security system

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:42 PM
dustin1014
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stupid security system

ive been having some issues with this damn security system. The bike is an 09 nightster. I get this issue randomly. When I go to start the bike the alarm will go off(no siren just blinking signals) and refuse to start. I thought it was just a bad battery in the fob and tried replacing that. it seemed to help for about a week, but again it happened today when i stopped for gas. I will have to turn it off wait for the system to arm and try again till it starts. I have read about the security code override option but since i got the bike from my father in law(took payments over due to health issues) he has no clue what the code he had set it to. Is there a way to reset this code? also how the hell can i figure out what is causing this issue and if possible can i remove the security system to just need a key to start no more damn fob?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:50 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

are you sure he even reset the code?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

As long as you have the FOB you can get to and change the PIN no problem.

Here is a copy paste from a simple google search.

With the newer HD Security Systems using proximity FOBs where the key FOB needs to be close to the bike to start, this is now more important then ever. If the battery in your FOB dies and you have not set your Harley Alram Override PIN Code, you will not be starting your bike. It is just as important for those with oler Harley Davidsons with the push button alarm FOB. It you set your alarm and the battery dies before you return to your bike, again you will not be starting the bike.

If you haven't set the PIN over ride for your HD security alarm system...do it now! Here's how you do it...

(To view how to deactivate the security system with the manual PIN code, see below.)

Setting or Changing Your Security System Alarm Override PIN

Button less fobs (Smart FOB)

1. Select 5 digit code ( each digit being a 1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.

2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON

3. Press Left turn signal switch 3 times.

4. Press Right turn signal switch one time and release.
*Turn signals will flash 3 times. Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing.

5. Enter first digit (a) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (a) times.

6. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
*The new digit (a) will replace the current in the odometer window.

7. Enter second digit (b) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (b) times.

8. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
*The new digit will replace the current in odometer window.

9. Enter the third digit (c) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (c) times.

10. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.
*The new digit (c) will replace the current in the odometer window.

11. Enter forth digit (d) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (d) times.

12. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.

13. Enter the fifth digit (e) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (e) times.
*The new digit (e) will replace the current in the odometer window.

14. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.

15. Before the module rearms, turn ignition key to OFF.
* The odometer will return to mileage display.
**Turning the ignition to OFF stores the new pin in the module.

Push Button fobs

1. Select 5 digit code ( each digit being a 1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.

2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON

3. Press Left turn signal switch 3 times.

4. Press button on fob twice
Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing.

5. Enter first digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.
Press button on fob twice to enter number.

6. Enter second digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.

7. Enter third digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.

8. Enter forth digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.

9. Enter fifth digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.

Turning the ignition to OFF stores the new security PIN.

Using the Security Alarm PIN Override to Start Your Harley Davidson

1. Turn the IGN key to IGNITION and immediately hold both turn signal switches until 5 dashes appear in the odometer window.

2. Enter the first digit of your PIN (a) by pressing the left turn signal switch (a) times.

3. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

4. Enter the second digit of your PIN (b) by pressing the left turn signal switch (b) times.

5. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

6. Enter the third digit of your PIN (c) by pressing the left turn signal switch (c) times.

7. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

8. Enter the forth digit of your PIN (d) by pressing the left turn signal switch (d) times.

9. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

10. Enter the fifth digit of your PIN (e) by pressing the left turn signal switch (e) times.

11. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

12. Press the right turn signal switch one time and the security system is turned off.

Last edited by Jeff W; 12-06-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 PM
dustin1014
Cruiser

Thanks Jeff. I have to admit I did not search:s I posted this just after getting to work late thanks to the problem. I am sure he set the code. He just can't remember it thanks to many health issues. Which is why I took over the payments and all to begin with. Thank you again

Old 12-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you get it changed, and working for you?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:20 PM
dustin1014
Cruiser

Sorry for the late *** response. Haven't had time to surf the forum in a while. Bit yessir it did in fact work thank you! This security system is weird. Sometimes it acts up but mostly works fine. New battery or old

Old 01-04-2014, 12:04 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you near a Navy base or an airport when you have the problem where it won't start and triggers the security system. I have had the same problem and was told buy some that there are sometimes signals from either being a close proximity to a military base or an airport that is strong enough to interfere with the fobs very low signal. Therefor the bike will not register the fobs presents. That is one of the reasons to make sure you have set and know how to use your security bypass codes.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:09 AM
dustin1014
Cruiser

Actually most of San Antonio; where I live is a military area. Several military bases and former military bases and new Nsa building recently added. So I wouldn't doubt this theory too much. I always hear about people having radio problems in their cars when driving aroind the nsa building and things of that sort.