Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally installed DK Intake/Thunder Torques, PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:52 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Finally installed DK Intake/Thunder Torques, PICS!

I was finally able to complete the install of the DK Custom 587 Outlaw intake and Thunder Torques. I removed the SE Performance intake that I had prior to installing the Outlaw; once I completed that intake I had to drill a hole on the exhaust in order to install the Thunder Torques. I was a lil hesitant of doing so but after carefully looking as to where make the hole strategically, I went ahead and did it. Once all that was completed, I turned on the bike, I immediately notice the intake breather bolts breath and the V&H Competition exhaust come to LIFE~ Deeper throttle, sound. Overall I was very impressed and the beautiful part is that it didn't take a huge investment...

Check out the pics~

Video~

Attached Thumbnails Finally installed DK Intake/Thunder Torques, PICS!-tti2.jpg   Finally installed DK Intake/Thunder Torques, PICS!-iron-sg3.jpg   Finally installed DK Intake/Thunder Torques, PICS!-iron2.jpg   Finally installed DK Intake/Thunder Torques, PICS!-iron-led.jpg   Finally installed DK Intake/Thunder Torques, PICS!-iron-sg2.jpg  

Last edited by chgofirefighter; 11-25-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:44 AM
JB'R
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice..
I see you installed the TTIs facing in the pipe.
Is there any reason for that?
Have you tried different configurations or just installed it the way?

DK recommends you adjust it to the sound/power you like.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:46 AM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why did you need to install the thuder torques in a 2 into 1? Those are for Slip-on Mufflers, Drag Pipes and Shortys. A 2 into 1 isn't needing this. Have you put it on a dyno and done a comparison with/with-out?

Old 11-26-2013, 03:40 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

Originally Posted by grancuda
Why did you need to install the thuder torques in a 2 into 1? Those are for Slip-on Mufflers, Drag Pipes and Shortys. A 2 into 1 isn't needing this. Have you put it on a dyno and done a comparison with/with-out?
The pipe is a Vance & Hines Competition exhaust, not a slip on, shorty pipes, or whatever else everyone uses... No no dyno yet, of course not... Just had the parts installed yesterday

Old 11-26-2013, 03:47 PM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
The pipe is a Vance & Hines Competition exhaust, not a slip on, shorty pipes, or whatever else everyone uses...
Yes, which is why I am curious you added those to that pipe which doesn't need it & which they are not designed for. Mainly curious if you found or have read that these do something for the 2 into 1.

Last edited by grancuda; 11-26-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
The pipe is a Vance & Hines Competition exhaust, not a slip on, shorty pipes, or whatever else everyone uses... No no dyno yet, of course not... Just had the parts installed yesterday
What grancuda asked was why you put TTi:s in a 2-1 system he could obviously see that your pies aren't slip ons or shortys but a 2-1 system. TTi:s seems to be more for shortys, slip ons, drags etc that might be lacking in mid range torque.

Anyway...I think your new AC looks great! Cool w the "window" and its a nice performance product. Have you tried the TTi in different positions to tweak the sound and back pressure?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sweforty8
What grancuda asked was why you put TTi:s in a 2-1 system he could obviously see that your pies aren't slip ons or shortys but a 2-1 system. TTi:s seems to be more for shortys, slip ons, drags etc that might be lacking in mid range torque.

Anyway...I think your new AC looks great! Cool w the "window" and its a nice performance product. Have you tried the TTi in different positions to tweak the sound and back pressure?

No at the moment I haven't tried to tweak the TTi, due to the weather conditions. But soon I will. According to Kevin from DK Custom any exhaust, "ANY" could benefit from the TTi. Stock, performance, etc. Besides its a minimal cost and worth the try. Kevin has dyno's on the TTi, check them out..

I notice that immediate deeper sound of the exhaust, real deep nice sound well, it but a big smile on my face so I'm happy... Plus the best part, I got them for "FREE" I will have my bike Dyno soon without the TTi, with and in different positions to test the mid torque range numbers. Since I'm getting some performance work done my performance shop guy wants to test out the TTi w base line numbers, and w the install... Keep you guys posted!

Old 11-27-2013, 03:10 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,225 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Originally Posted by grancuda
Originally Posted by Sweforty8

When we knuckled down and designed the W version of the Thunder Torque Inserts, we did all our testing with Slip-ons and drag pipes.

We have yet to run into a slip-on, or drag pipe type system (including the short shots) that did not benefit significantly from the use of the TTI's.

It never entered our minds that a good 2-1 system would benefit from the TTI's. These expensive 2-1 exhausts that can cost upwards of $1000...we just figured those companies would have their pipes dialed in.

Well, as time has passed we have learned more and more about how exhaust works, AND how baffles are a fundamentally flawed concept for producing optimum power.

There is no doubt that most 2-1 exhausts will perform better than 2-2 systems. HOWEVER, we have discovered that they (2-1 systems) also can benefit from the TTI's.

It was about a year ago that we worked with a guy that has an LSR 2-1 exhaust. These cost in the $700+ range and are recognized as some of the best 2-1's made for Harleys.

We were quite surprised when he experienced a nice bump in low and mid range power by using the W158 in this high end exhaust. Since then we have worked with a variety of Customers that have Bassini 2-1's, Thunderheaders and some others. They have ALL got a bump in torque in the low and mid range (without taking anything off the top) by using the TTI's.

We are not aware of anyone using the TTI's with the V&H 2-1's. So we sent some to chgofirefighter to find out how they do.

So far he likes the sound...that is good. When he gets it on the dyno and does some pulls with and without the TTI's, then we'll know if they help with that pipe or not.

Here is a link to a thread on some guys that have had good experience with the TTI's on 2-1 systems.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...sapointed.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks and sounds great Chicago. Those are some sick looking pipes

Old 12-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JB'R
Nice..
I see you installed the TTIs facing in the pipe.
Is there any reason for that?
Have you tried different configurations or just installed it the way?

DK recommends you adjust it to the sound/power you like.
I tried my TTI's facing in & facing out, using the stock baffle screw location & also a deeper in location. Through comparisons I discovered the best for me was using the stock baffle hole location & facing inward. (2013 Sportster 72, custom AC & SE slip-ons baffles removed & Vied's) different bikes will act differently. Mine hauls ***, is loud as Hell & has enough torque that I accidently popped a wheelie (twice)

Quick Reply: Finally installed DK Intake/Thunder Torques, PICS!