Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydro Dipping anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 AM
Scorpza
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Hydro Dipping anyone?

Okay, so I'm thinking of dipping my heat shields with this Hydro Dipping process. My only concern is the heat. I know the process exceeds the 100 degree celsius mark but my understanding is that heat shields runs around the 250 degree mark.

Has anyone ever tried this?

I'm tempted to go for it, and if it fails then I'll go with the powder coating option.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

It's all down to what the finished product is suitable for IMHO! I wouldn't personally waste time if the process you plan on using isn't certain to work. As for powder coating, HDF has it's very own sponsor in Powder Pro and I am sure they will be able to tell you if their process is suitable for heat shields.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 AM
nauzerlvr
Cruiser

I guess if it fails then you could always just buy new heat shields. That would probably be your best option.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 AM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

My brother in law did this on his valve covers for his 67 Mustang. Turned out AMAZING.

No issues with it holding up on a 600hp motor. Not sure about heat shields though.

heres a pic http://instagram.com/p/XdMuXero-C/

Old 11-25-2013, 07:56 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Never heard of hydro dipping, but just watched some youtube demonstrations.. pretty amazing results. I wouldn't expect it to withstand heatshield temps unless it explicitly says it will though.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:13 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Supplies are pretty cheap too.. I think I'm going to order some and try it on some junk fenders and tanks I have.. if it's as easy as it looks I might flame my sporty.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:28 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

'scorpy, check these guys out at the link below:

http://www.hydroprintservices.com/

Ask for a gentleman named Scott, then tell him this guy DrewBone from NY sent you to him for advice and info about the process.

There you can ask him about what temperature range the coating will endure. 'Pretty sure it's a type of vinyl that's then covered with clear coat.

=8^)

Old 11-25-2013, 10:00 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had this process done to some Corvette parts in a Carbon Fiber finish. After Hydro-Dipping they Clear Coat the finish. I know the clear coat won't hold up on heat shields. I'd call around and ask those that offer the service, whether it can hold up on the heat shields. I doubt it.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:15 AM
JaySwear
Road Captain

I'd be surprised if it really held up. It might for a little bit, but my guess is that it'll get tacky and sticky. You'll have a mess if anything (pants leg) touches it while it's warm. If it were good for temps that high they would definitely advertise it. That would be a huge selling point.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:34 AM
Scorpza
Advanced

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The way I see it, if it works then it's gonna look awesome. If it doesn't work, then I sand it down and powder coat it. Either way I will post some pics of the final result. I'm hoping to pick up the shields next Monday.

Quick Reply: Hydro Dipping anyone?