Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydro Dipping anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:15 PM
$eventy2T
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hooooray!!! congrats! Glad you're not burned up and they held. Cheers!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Cutting-Edge
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laffin gas
it would look awesome if you did the valve covers and air cleaner cover...if anyone in the u.s. is interested in getting stuff done I know a guy named mike at cutting-edge hydrographics in florida that has fast turn around time and excellent quality. hydrographics is fairly cheap and you can dip anything imaginable that can go in water...it is as durable as paint because it is clear coated...you can also clear powdercoat it if desired. I have had sportbike wheels done and guns and all sorts of stuff....it is wild. lots of patterns out there too. you can change that skull pattern on the exhaust that the o.p. had done by painting a colored basecoat first...if you put red down all the "white" skull areas would be red etc.....I have seen entire bikes done...sportbikes and cruisers....carbon fiber is a huge request...you can do entire bikes or break it up with some paint and graphics....the exhaust heat shields look excellent. nice job
Thank you for the kind words. My name is Mike. I am the owner of Cutting-Edge Hydrographics in Orange Park, FL.There isn't much I can't do hydrographics on. The only parts I won't do are exhaust parts that are In direct heat. I can do exhaust heat shields. With the hydrographic process, I use all automotive based paints. It is done just like base coat clear coat on a car using urethane based paints. If you have any questions or would like a quote feel free to give me a call or email me. Please try to send some pictures of the parts you would like to have done. You can send pictures by text to: (904) 233-6812 or email: mike@cutting-edgehydrographics.com

You can look at some of my work here: https://www.facebook.com/CuttingEdgeHydro/photos_albums

Old 02-06-2014, 01:39 PM
laffin gas
Tourer

ahahahaaa....too funny that your on here mike....told ya I was happy with those Honda cbr carbon fiber parts you did for me
I might have some skyline stuff for you to dip. I will email you or hit you up on YB....

Old 02-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Cutting-Edge
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by laffin gas
ahahahaaa....too funny that your on here mike....told ya I was happy with those Honda cbr carbon fiber parts you did for me
I might have some skyline stuff for you to dip. I will email you or hit you up on YB....
Right on. If you check out the pictures on FB, I have a bunch of Skyline GTR parts I did a couple months ago. Pretty cool parts when it was all done.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 PM
WalterM817
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used it on some Goldwing valve covers but that's not exhaust heat. What you're using is basically leaving on the part is an ink. I wouldn't count on it staying well on Exhaust parts.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

If the hydrographics can be powdered in clear powder and withstand the bake cycle required to set the powder, the graphics should be fine on heat shields. Powdered clear bake temp is around 325-350 degrees, iirc. Maybe Joe has some input on that.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 PM
TAMUFAN
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Scorpza
Okay so after waiting a week here is the result. IMHO I think it looks pretty awesome.
Very Cool!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Cutting-Edge
3rd Gear

Just finished some tins for a customer. Thought I would share some pictures with you guys. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Cutting-Edge; 02-17-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Sweforty8
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutting-Edge
Just finished some tins for a customer. Thought I would share some pictures with you guys. Let me know what you think.

That looks frikkin awesome!
I have a question, there's a company that does hydro dipping where I live. They also sell the material, activator fluids etc. Can this be done at home by my self or do I need "special skills"?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Cutting-Edge
3rd Gear

Sweforty8: This is something that can be done at home if you have a large enough tank to dip the parts, however, what you are going to spend in time and materials to do it and get it right, it is cheaper to have a professional shop do it for you. This process is not near as easy as the Youtube videos make it look. The process is done using automotive base coat clear coat. If you are not a painter by trade then that is another aspect of it that you have to look at.

Quick Reply: Hydro Dipping anyone?