Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for good Tool set

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 PM
NySmokeEater
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for good Tool set

Any suggestions for a newbie to get a good set of tools . Or what brand or were . And no snap on things cost an arm and a leg ..... Any suggestions would be appreciated . Or you could list on what you have your self to work on your sporty or bike in general .

Old 11-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Sorry I use Snap-On. Craftsman has turned to junk in the last 10 years and don't even consider Harbor Freight. Seriously, buy the cheapest you can get away with and start building a quality tool set one piece at a time.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:48 PM
groverhd
Tourer

I agree with the craftsman statement but not so much for the harbor freight. I have about 98% craftsman tools but i worked a short amount of time with hf a few months back. Almost no hand tools ever came back. The quality has surpassed my craftsman tools. If i could start over, i would go with a hf tools. They are polished up like any snap on tool and they are lifetime warranty no questions asked. It just my opinion and if i made a living turning a wrench then i might have a different view. If you decided to go with craftsman then i can make you a deal of a lifetime on a set of tools that will have all you need. Just saying ....

Old 11-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Black Bettie
Cruiser

My go to set that I keep in a travel box is a 265 piece set from Kobalt that I got at lowes for 99 bucks on a Black Friday special. It's up there with my Matco or snap on quality. never had an issue other than finish peeling on a couple sockets which were replaced at the lowes from a set they opened for me(lifetime warranty)

Old 11-21-2013, 12:05 AM
TheRealNap0le0n
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can go to sears and keep replacing craftsman tools every so often or you can spend your money on a decent set of tools that will last and last... I have a Snap-On tool box and assortment of snap-on and mac tools going on 7 years now. Maybe replaced one 3/8" ratchet i broke being an idiot with a breaker bar.

if you are looking to put something in your bike, well thats a diff story. you wont use those very often and they will be at risk. go cheap with a decent warranty

Old 11-21-2013, 04:08 AM
Hopscotch
Tourer

For just at home garage work, Craftsman or kobalt. If you want to build a set for life, Mac or snap on will be the best investment. Just stay away from Craftsman Power tools.

Last edited by Hopscotch; 11-21-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:16 AM
hawaiian Guy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TheRealNap0le0n
you can go to sears and keep replacing craftsman tools every so often or you can spend your money on a decent set of tools that will last and last... I have a Snap-On tool box and assortment of snap-on and mac tools going on 7 years now. Maybe replaced one 3/8" ratchet i broke being an idiot with a breaker bar.

if you are looking to put something in your bike, well thats a diff story. you wont use those very often and they will be at risk. go cheap with a decent warranty
Thanks for the good advice i was wondering about good tools for bikes as well. The only things i've ever touched on my car and bikes were checking for oil and brake fluid level as well as my radiator for my car.

But now i'm looking to get some tools just incase i have a flat tire or fix my head light beam angle.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:09 AM
Hopscotch
Tourer

HD makes some good funnels and I use their flat square oil pan. Fills up fast but never had a spill.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:29 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Here you go... re-post from another thread. I have used Craftsman tools without problems. Budget does not allow for Snap-On.

Here you go:

Thought this might be useful for some new Sportster owners/riders. Came from a question made in another forum but figured somebody here could also benefit from it... What I have tried to do with my HD tool box is having everything that I need to work on the bike to be in there. And if I need something that is not in there, I either get it from the garage or buy it if I don't have it, and add it to the HD tool box.

Some things to call out...

Brake calipers - you will need a 12 point 10mm (yes, metric) socket to remove them. Add it to the tool box
Torx wrenches - make sure you get a set with a 27 Torx wrench. You will use it a lot... also get a set of the 45, 50, 55 torx in sockets so that it is easier to torque those bolts...

This is for normal maintenance... not for rebuilding an engine!

Missing from the photo and the box is the clear security glasses with led light, and the headband LED lights... forgot to put them back in the toolbox for the photo. Also the torque wrenches I keep in their case and in the larger toolbox in the garage as they take a lot of space... and of course the box of nitrile gloves, hand cleaner, rags, oil pan, floor pads, stool, and lift...

These are the same safety glasses that I have and the LED lights

Some helpful videos:

Sparkplugs gap gauge... you always want to make sure the gap is correct.

I wish there was a center stand available for our bikes... with the RGC I seldom use the lift for working on it... Some folks use sportbikes rear jacks. I have one stored from when I had a CBR, need to dig it out and tested with the Sportster...

- Break cleaner spray- Highly recommended - to clean the oil mess in the bike, and trust me, there will be a mess to clean...

- Small block of wood-highly recommended if you don't use a jack.

- Grease and Grease Gun for the Head Bearing. Good quality Marine Trailer Bearing Grease would do. Harley suggests you use Part No. 99857-97

A set of small pliers, cutters, long nose... I have a set similar to this but looks more manly...

A BFH...

A breaker wrench

A center punch

And for the times you make mistakes..

A thread maker kit, a thread clear kit, several types of extractors...

Get yourself a good 3/8 drill... electric, not a battery one... because, if you are like me, those f* batteries will always be dead when you need them...

Might want to squeeze in a small air compressor... like this one, works well for small things and not too expensive. And get the kit that comes with filler gauge, and coiled air line,

Oh and get one of those coil reels you hang from the ceiling. Get one for air and one for electrical, very handy.

Some magnetic trays to put the bolts you take out so they do not go walking...

A tool box to put everything in... I got this one for like 8.00... a few stickers (that probably cost as much as the frigging toolbox) and it looks nice :

Get a stool... your knees will thank you...

Also get some of those pads kids use to play... again, your knees and butt will thank you...

Get an assortment of black tie wraps... silicone tape (wayyyyy better than regular electrical tape)

Rags, Hand Cleaner, Rubber Nitrile Disposable Gloves - good feel and keeps your hands clean... unless you think real men don't need any frigging gloves!

And for the love of your bike... hide any crescent wrench...those have no place with bikes... lol

A pencil, and a marker. A fine tip white out pen (the ones you use to whiteout words in documents, remember the typewriter days? ). These come handy when needing to mark something and make it extremely visible.

The guy (or gal) that invented the rachet wrench deserves a noble price... great for tight spaces. I have them in all shapes and sizes... but the ones in the photo are the ones I use with the bikes.

Service parts (parts listed are for 2007-2013 bikes...):

Brake pads – Front - HD Part Number 42831-04A (well... in my case, since I have the XR Front Caliper the front pad kit to use is 42739-08)
Brake pads – Rear - HD Part Number 42029-07
Air Filter Element - HD Part Number 29331-04
Inspection Cover Gasket - HD Part Number 34990-08
Clutch Cover Gasket - HD Part Number 25463-94A
Oil Filter - HD Part Number 63805-80A (Black), sorry I don't have the part number for the Chromed one
Spark Plugs (2) - 6R12 - HD Part Number 32362-04
Oil for Engine and Tranny
O-rings - (1) HD Part Number 11105 and (2) HD Part Number 11171

And install fluid...like the oil, choose the one that works best for you

Last edited by wachuko; 11-21-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harbor Freight tools work for me. $200 in hand tools from Sears or Lowes isn't much. You can fill you box for $200 @ harbor freight. I've never broken a wrench, or killed a ratchet (yet). I'm a weekend warrior that does maintenance on all my vehicles. If I was spinning a wrench for a living I doubt I'd chose harbor freight, but for my use they work just fine. My compressor is 5 years old and works like a champ. The Craftsman alternative was 3 times the price.

I know there are better tools out there, but I've not been disappointed in my HF tools. 2 months ago my buddy bought a 3/4 drive metric ratchet set to pull the wheel hubs out of his wife's van, $60 bucks with a super coupon at HF. $269 at sears. End result hubs are swapped out. Makes sense to me.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for good Tool set