Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for good Tool set

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Sears also sells a cheaper line called Companion + they're not half bad. Don't go too cheap or you'll be rounding off bolts + stripping torx fasteners. You DON'T wanna drill steel bolts out of an alum part.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:09 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I work in a large shop (100 mecheanics or so) and a lot of the guys use snapon or mac tools...personally I use mostly craftsman sockets and wrenches..I like the wrenches better than snapon because the shafts a thicker and easier on my hands..HF makes good larger wrenches and sockets that hold up and are cheap but I would stay away from the smaller stuff (under 3/4") as when you get tot he smaller sizes exact fit is more critical to stop from rounding off bolts etc...for the smaller stuff spend the money and buy better quality, such a craftsman, kobolt or huskey...fo9r stuff like allens, spline allens and torx and screw drivers definatly buy brand name as they wear out quite quickly and can be returned for new ones...for sockets buy 6 point instead of 12 point (they hold better) ...also buy a bigger tool box than you think you will ever need and a small tool bag (I like gater mouth) one to carry with you...for snap ring pliers don't buy the ones with exchangeable tips they are junk...if you find you need a special tool for something on the bike, that you just can't seem to find, snapon will have it and you will pay dearly for it, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet....most craftsman tool boxes are junk..but sears sells a line of tool boxes called Extereme Tools that are good..

Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

is could make a few suggestions on brands, but that I all just how much you want to spend, and how many tools you want.

The one suggestion I will make is to get one that includes a 27 torx bit. Those are a bit difficult to find, but for some reason, Harley uses that size a lot.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Greeley
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is somewhat of a tough question to answer, everyone has their preference on tools and brands they want in their tool box. For me it's as American as possible, spend up front and have tools I can use the rest of my lifetime and pass down to the next generation. For me tools are an investment that will continue to give back for a long time to come. If you are not much of a wrencher and just plan to do the basic stuff you can get away with some cheaper china stuff like HF, even Craftsman now is made outside of the US and the quality recently shows that. My tool box is filled with mostly Snap-on, Mac and some older craftsman stuff in the mix. Very rarely do I need to use any of the warranties offered with my tools and thats how I like it. I have had cheaper stuff in the past and although the warranty was great going back and forth to the store every month to swap stuff out got old fast. I have friends that only use their tools maybe once every other week or less and HF works for them, to each their own, good luck!

Old 11-21-2013, 05:18 PM
F4Phantomsphorever
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Greeley
This is somewhat of a tough question to answer, everyone has their preference on tools and brands they want in their tool box. For me it's as American as possible, spend up front and have tools I can use the rest of my lifetime and pass down to the next generation. For me tools are an investment that will continue to give back for a long time to come. If you are not much of a wrencher and just plan to do the basic stuff you can get away with some cheaper china stuff like HF, even Craftsman now is made outside of the US and the quality recently shows that. My tool box is filled with mostly Snap-on, Mac and some older craftsman stuff in the mix. Very rarely do I need to use any of the warranties offered with my tools and thats how I like it. I have had cheaper stuff in the past and although the warranty was great going back and forth to the store every month to swap stuff out got old fast. I have friends that only use their tools maybe once every other week or less and HF works for them, to each their own, good luck!
I agree with this. I'm a mechanic (aircraft A&P), and my tools are a source of pride for me. They're suited for a profession.

My grandfather's tools were a mix of Snap-On, Proto, SK, and Craftsman. Today, I check every Craftsman tool I look at...if it's made in China, it stays on the shelf.

When I leave these tools to someone someday, I want them to get something of value.

Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and the like can KiloMikeAlpha.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:25 PM
TheRealNap0le0n
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawaiian Guy
Thanks for the good advice i was wondering about good tools for bikes as well. The only things i've ever touched on my car and bikes were checking for oil and brake fluid level as well as my radiator for my car.

But now i'm looking to get some tools just incase i have a flat tire or fix my head light beam angle.
honestly I keep a screw driver to adjust my idle and what not, and a folding set of allen keys, small spark plug wrench and thats about it... anything else I wouldn't want to work on the side of the road.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:08 PM
groverhd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopscotch
HD makes some good funnels and I use their flat square oil pan. Fills up fast but never had a spill.
That's awesome!!!

Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

If you look on the WindZone and CruzTools websites they both list the tools that come in their kits. Copy the lists down and buy the tools with your favorite brand. I still buy Craftsman. Then you can buy a tool roll. I carry those tools and a tire repair kit with a small air compressor. I can do almost anything on the side of the road if needed. Not only for myself, but I've stopped to help other bikers on more than one occasion.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:19 PM
futat2
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I too am a mechanic and have been for the past 15 years. I have and use snap-on but my box has been built up over the years. For a weekend wrench go to Home Depot and look at the Husky tools. They are strong, reliable, carry a lifetime warranty (home depot is not going any were any time soon) and price point on par with craftsman. But at the end of the day buy what you are willing to pay for.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 PM
groverhd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...tm_source=1020

On sale for$154.
I bought this set when i was working at hf just to keep at my grandma's. It has everything in the world in it an i can take care of brakes on her car to working on her eyeglasses. Its the best over all deal hands down at hf or for a starter tool set.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for good Tool set