Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Ride On The Sportster/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:25 PM
eggroll
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Ride On The Sportster/Vibration

My mirrors are about useless at 50+ as well; just hazy blobs of color and light. Doesn't feel like I'll lose control, though. I can let go of the bars (if my wife saw this post, she'd FREAK) and it rolls straight as an arrow. If you are worried, bring it back to the dealer and have them look it over. I'm sure you're not the first customer to be concerned about this. If they say it's OK, then get on and enjoy the experience!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:48 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I suggest you find a good smooth piece of asphalt (interstate) and try running the bike up to 75+. Then engage the clutch and back the throttle off to idle. As the bike decelerates through the 55-60 mph range where you say you have the problem see if the vibration increases. If it does you likely have a tire balance or rim problem. I neededa weight on one of my front spokes for balance.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:13 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: cHarley

I suggest you find a good smooth piece of asphalt (interstate) and try running the bike up to 75+. Then engage the clutch and back the throttle off to idle. As the bike decelerates through the 55-60 mph range where you say you have the problem see if the vibration increases. If it does you likely have a tire balance or rim problem. I neededa weight on one of my front spokes for balance.
Good test. Definitely try this to rule out a legitimate problem.

This will rule out or clarify if you have a tire balance or other fixable problem. I have some vibration on my bike - the normal stuff and yes, it shakes the mirrors blurry sometimes. A certain amount of that is normal. I also use this trick if I need a quick clear glance in my mirrors. I pull in the clutch and coast for a second - just long enough for things to settle enough for a clear picture where I can see exactly what is behind me.

But understand you don't always need to know EXACTLY what is there. You can look in your mirrors and while you can't tell make and model, you can at least see there is a vehicle back there. Isn't that enough in most cases? Heck, if you are that concerned with the specifics of the activity behind you I'd argue you are spending too much time focused on your mirrors and not enough ahead of you which is of significantly greater importance.

Why do they vibrate so much? Part of that is engine design and they way they run. V-twins with a lop-sided cycle like HD's vibrate some no matter what. Another part is that motorcycles are designed different than cars and subsequently have more vibration. A car is mostly car with an engine stuck inside to make it go. A motorcycle is mostly engine with some stuff stuck on for a person to hold on and point it in the right direction.

You said this was your first Harley. I'd submit to you that has much to do with your perception of excessive vibration. I owned a Virago and a Magna prior to buying a Harley. Both had power and could turn much higher RPMs than the HD bikes but also really really smooth. Going from how that felt to a Harley made the Harley feel really shaky to me initially. But I had spent time around them prior to buying and had at least seen and briefly experienced the vibration first hand so I had some idea of what to expect.

Here I go getting long winded again. Bottom line, try this trick. Maybe check the engine mounts too just to rule them out as causes - Look at the top front of the engine for a bracket bolted to the engine and the frame; that's one of the engine mounts. I'm confident its not those though. 90% of the time it is something simple and its not the worst case scenario. My money is on there being nothing wrong other than normal vibration.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:16 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For everyone else.....SSSSSSSHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... We take a beating from the rigids for appearing to talk so negatively about their vibration. They are going to be all over the rubber mounts if they get wind of this.

[:-][:-]

Old 03-15-2007, 02:33 PM
ronn39
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: twisty571

my pressure is suppose to be 40 psi cold,which I checked when I finally got her out
Twisty, that rating on the sidewall is pressure for max weight on the tire, which you're no where near unless you're carrying a very large lady on the back (and they do suggest jacking it up on the rear with heavy passenger--but not the front). 36 rear, 30 front. It'll ride a lot better and wear more evently than if you're filling them to 40.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:36 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

check the chrome muffler bearing, might be going out...

Old 03-15-2007, 09:46 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid attention on my way in to work today. Mine vibrates from 50-57 or so - or any time the motor is below 2500 rpm in any gear with some load on it. At 60 it smooths out fine, at 70 a bit of buzz sets in - nothing bad though.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:58 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 282 Likes on 173 Posts

Mirror vibrations ..... take a look at my picks .... those are 10" stems on them thar mirrors. Gotta see whats going on back there .... yes a big blur ... but I know whether or not some object is just over my right or/and left shoulders ... the only thing I could see with those 4 inchers was me ....

Old 03-15-2007, 11:25 PM
drumer66
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that the answer to the puzzle is ........The "06" has a regular motor mount like all the prior year models.....BUT....The "07" like the one that I have has a RUBBER MOUNTED ENGINE.....

and its there just for this purpose...

hope this helps....

jimd

Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normal vs abnormal vibration.

1) At idle vibration is normal

2) At crusing speed 40. It will have a vibration in the drive train.

3) How to test at hwy speed. Riding at 60. If you pull the clutch in and still have a vibration, you have either a out of balance condition or a bad tire or rim. If you have a bad vibration in gear, you may have the primary drive chain too tight.

Quick Reply: First Ride On The Sportster/Vibration