Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Ride On The Sportster/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: First Ride On The Sportster/Vibration

My pre anti -vibration 2003 is smooth at theose speeds.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:00 AM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the 06 is rubber mounted , check all the motormounts, and handle bar risers...Mark...

Old 03-14-2007, 11:21 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: twisty571

ORIGINAL: foojay

It's an 06 1200C, what should the tire pressure be at? Once I hit 55mph is causes enough vibration that I can barely see anything in the mirrors.
HAHA you can see out of your mirrors? All I see is my arms unless I'm going around a corner[8D]Tire pressue is on your tire, I think it's 40psi I forget,can go look though
If you have a problem with your mirrors, loosen the stalks of the mirrors and push them forward more (away from your hands) and you will be able to see better. Also, when you adjust your mirrors keep in mind you don't need both mirrors overlaping and looking at the same thing (think about it). You want the view to be more out to the side so you don't have any blind spots. This also is a common problem with cagers. They will have two side view mirrors showing them the same thing they have in their rear view mirror. Instead of three images of the car behind them they would wipe out less motorcycles if they adjusted their side view mirrors to be just that: side view. End of sermon!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 11:36 AM
foojay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: brillowolf

If you expect her to run like a Honda, you're on the wrong bike in the wrong forum.[sm=icon_rock.gif]
No it's just at those speeds it doesn't feel safe, it vibrates enough that it impairs my vision. This is my 1st Harley and I expected some vibration, but not so much as to make me feel unsafe.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:05 PM
dsuppa
Road Captain

Once I hit about 55 mirrors become useless anyway. All the headlights and carsjust look like vibrating circles, but if it's really bothering you bring it back to the dealer and have them check it out. It has to still be under warranty.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:02 PM
olesalt
Tourer

Hey foojay,
When you say vibration I assume you mean engine vibration. Sounds like you have the new Sporty jitters. Hey, we all had 'em. The 1200 vibrates more than the 883 due to the bigger bang ( combustion) and if you do the Stage 1 (full flow flow aircleaner, non stock pipes and carb rejet) you may feel even more,again, due to the power gain. You'll hear valvetrain noise (clicks & ticks) and they're normal also. Knocks,screeches and such are not normal Sporty noises and need to be checked out. The vibration at certain rpms (speed) is the engine at resonance and will decrease as rpm increases or decreases. This all is based on what I've experienced, read and heard from HD mechanics. If you need piece of mind, have a mechanic check it out.
Weights and sticky tape? I never heard of that! Anyone else have weights and tape on their wheels ? I would ask about that ffojay. When you get up to the mirror vibration speed pull in the clutch and see if the vibration goes away as the rpm lowers. If it does, engine vibes is the cause.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:49 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Vibration is a subjective thing. When I first got my Sportster 883, I was really surprised by the amount of vibration. I wasn't shocked at it, because...duh, it's a Harley. Now, I really don't notice the vibration at all. To be on the safe side, I'd take it by the dealer, or if you know a buddy that rides a Sportster, let him ride it. Someone that can compare if the virbation you're experiencing is of an abnormal level, but I suspect it's just a matter ofyougetting used to the personality and charm of a Harley Sportster. GOTTA LOVE EM!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:27 PM
MacAttack
Tourer

I have an 07 1200C, and there isn't much vibration at all at 60.. seems there's a bit from 50-60 though. I think on the XLforum there's a sticky about loose motor mounts. If you have aluminum wheels, the wheel weights ARE stuck on with foam tape.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
SportyN
Road Captain

Vibration is never a problem...just a bonus!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:01 PM
brillowolf
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: foojay

ORIGINAL: brillowolf

If you expect her to run like a Honda, you're on the wrong bike in the wrong forum.[sm=icon_rock.gif]
No it's just at those speeds it doesn't feel safe, it vibrates enough that it impairs my vision. This is my 1st Harley and I expected some vibration, but not so much as to make me feel unsafe.
No offense, I was just being a smarta$$. That was the purpose of the headbangin smiley.

Quick Reply: First Ride On The Sportster/Vibration