Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Stage 2 883/1200 kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,109 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonryen
I was wondering the same thing. The service manager at my local dealer thinks you can get more performance out of that kit compared to the stage 1 kit. But, I certainly want streetable performance, as I'm not building a race bike. Need something that delivers reliable power across the rpm range. Is high compression pistons and cams suitable for sustained cruising at consistant rpm's? Not that I do a lot of slab cruising, but I am there some. Just want something broad enough to cover my riding style, and deliver some respectable power with reliability and longevity.

ive been running higher compression with cams for years. As long as the bike is tuned properly you shouldnt have any trouble.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by njmasterplumber
Perfect winter project as long as you have a decent garage and a good selection of tools. Doing the conversion is pretty much all bolt on. Cams, cam bearings, jugs and pistons. I was always taught that reusing the 883 heads is the best way to go, you gain more compression using them instead of changing to 1200 heads. Keeping everything SE is best cause your sure as to not having to deal with any rebalancing issues with the flywheel. Add the SE coil and module and don't toss the CV carb. The CV carb has a ton of potential so pickup a Yost master kit and rejet as per their instructions. Yost is nice cause they give you a couple different needle jets to fit your application. Plus there is something to the Yost power tube design. After you set it up and dial it in you'll be shocked with the CV's performance.
what are cam bearings? Rebalancing is a thing of the past. I dont even think there is a piston out there for 91 and up bikes that needs to have the flywheel balanced.

The cv carb is great. if you want to start making bigger power with ported heads the cv carb limits that. why spend money on some power tube when a new 300 dollar mikuni will do all that and more.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Thinking about pulling the trigger on this kit while my bike is in winter storage. Spend over $300 in parts or service and my local dealer will store your bike all winter for free. My 10k service took care of the $300 but I was thinking about adding this kit. It comes with 1200 cylinders, forged 10.5:1 compression pistons, cams and the se race tuner. Anyone want to share their thoughts or experience with this kit. The only other option from SE is the 883/1200 kit which brings an 883 to stock 1200 specs(as I'm sure most of the members already know). The stage 2 kit also includes a se clutch spring, gaskets, etc. I'm also gonna do new pushrods and lifters(tappets). Any experience/opinions good or bad will be appreciated! Thanks!

why spend money on new lifters? you dont need them. Why new pushrods? unless yours are too short or too long you dont need them.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

What cams go with this kit? What year is your bike?

Old 11-19-2013, 04:56 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks grbrown! The general consensus I'm getting, especially at the dealer is this kit will perform well for my needs. It's hard not to believe them mainly because it's less money for me to do this kit as compared to the stage 1 kit. The included se race tuner makes the difference in price. With the stage 1 kit, the tuner has to be purchased separately. Can anyone shed any light on higher compression motors generating higher engine temps. Getting rid of the factory lean condition with a proper tune should help, especially compared to my current stock tune. My bike runs great, and is super reliable, so I really don't want to do something that would take away from that, but the ole 883 just ain't cutting it anymore!
The stage 2 kit looks like good value for money. That tuner will enable you to get optimum performance and avoid any problems with heat. I'm beginning to look forward to your report on it!

Old 11-19-2013, 05:22 PM
jasonryen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Madnss
What cams go with this kit? What year is your bike?
Glad to see you chiming in madnss! My bike is a 2010 iron. The cams in that kit are se mild performance cams, and I believe they are .551. Don't quote me on that, I'm repeating something I read in another thread.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

Glad to see you chiming in madnss! My bike is a 2010 iron. The cams in that kit are se mild performance cams, and I believe they are .551. Don't quote me on that, I'm repeating something I read in another thread.

I think i would go with the 536 chickens before the 551s. I dont think you can run the 575 chickens with the 883 heads but i think you can with 1200 heads but not for sure. in my honest opinion. i have ran 497, 536 and 575 chickens and they are all great cams. I wouldnt put the 551 in the same class as those cams. as long as the chicken pistons are forged you are good to go....i believe they are too.

i would check out hammers tech tips on their conversions before you spend your money. good luck!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member

why spend money on new lifters? you dont need them. Why new pushrods? unless yours are too short or too long you dont need them.

here is money spent that does not need to be spent.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 PM
jasonryen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is money spent that does not need to be spent.
I agree. Probably some paranoid overkill on my part. On the flip side, even though it might not be needed, would it hurt to have new pushrods and lifters to go along with the new cams, pistons, cylinders? It doesn't add a considerable amount to the total.

I want to ask you specifically madnss, would that kit or one similar be a good streetable or good all around kit for versatility. I am assured by the service manager(not sure if anyone is in the Huntington WVa area, but if so and you go to charlies HD, ask for scott in service, dude is top notch) that 10.5:1 compression will perform well on pump gas, and not generate any higher engine temps than my stock 883 with the stock tune. Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it!

Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

I agree. Probably some paranoid overkill on my part. On the flip side, even though it might not be needed, would it hurt to have new pushrods and lifters to go along with the new cams, pistons, cylinders? It doesn't add a considerable amount to the total.

I want to ask you specifically madnss, would that kit or one similar be a good streetable or good all around kit for versatility. I am assured by the service manager(not sure if anyone is in the Huntington WVa area, but if so and you go to charlies HD, ask for scott in service, dude is top notch) that 10.5:1 compression will perform well on pump gas, and not generate any higher engine temps than my stock 883 with the stock tune. Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it!
10.5:1 is generally about as high as you can go on premium pump gas in our motors. That's the cap for the standard 1250 kits out there as well. A good tune, including ignition timing (some people skip that, hard to believe) and you should have no problem.

The amount of heat generated will likely not even be noticeable. The Evolution Sportster is very good at heat dissipation, and is much better than the Twin Cams that you hear so much heat complaints.

Also, I'm up in Columbus if you ever really need some help. It's not too far away, and you could at least send me a PM and I can give you a phone if you run in to some trouble. I don't know any shops down in your area, but I know a few up here (I don't let them work on mine, but have had good experiences).

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 11-19-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: SE Stage 2 883/1200 kit